Mortal Strike and Fireball

Play Mode Discussion
I'm looking at these two cards, and they're essentially the same card, except Warrior is sad.

What was the logic when printing out mortal strike?
I think it was cause warriors used to take a lot of damage to face clearing minions with weapons.
Mortal Strike was for a LONG time part of one of the best decks the game has seen, Pirate Warrior.

4 damage with a perk is what I think they go on for 4M spells.

Mortal Strike (an "enrage" effect on the hero)
Swipe (+1 AoE)
Fireball (+2 'cos mage)
Shadowbolt (-1M 'cos no face)
Jade Lightning (inc. an x/x minion)

I'm sure theres more I'm missing, and its just a theory, but its a theory that makes sense to me. 4 damage + perk for a 4M targeted spell seems to be the benchmark the way I see it.
yeah, idk. i always thought if they wanted to stick with the set-up of the card have mortal strike do something like “4 damage, or 8 damage to a minion if your health 12 or less”
Well back in time warrior had fiery war axe so mortal strike being weak was ok. Now however.....
02/07/2019 07:58 PMPosted by AnimeFood
I'm looking at these two cards, and they're essentially the same card, except Warrior is sad.

What was the logic when printing out mortal strike?

Classes, they do different things. Also welcome to beta everyone. NERF BEEF STEW
The only mage deck that uses Fireballs anyway is Quest mage, and the Fireballs could be nerfed to 1 damage without hurting the deck (well, maybe with 1 damage, the turn wouldn't last long enough for you to kill your opponent to be fair).
02/07/2019 08:16 PMPosted by Bowser
4 damage with a perk is what I think they go on for 4M spells.

Mortal Strike (an "enrage" effect on the hero)
Swipe (+1 AoE)
Fireball (+2 'cos mage)
Shadowbolt (-1M 'cos no face)
Jade Lightning (inc. an x/x minion

Your theory is probably correct, but OP was asking an explanation for this

Fireball (+2 'cos mage)

I think OP means, class diversity is ambiguous, and there is no specific reason a rare class card should be undertuned compared to a basic.
I get it, Mage should be the one dealing most dmg with spells because it's their job,
but following this logic Paladin should have had access to armor all along because his job is being a soldier, right? And being a soldier requires the equipment, doesn't it? Still, they only have Thekal
Warrior usually has worse spells compared to any class, let alone mage, who is the master of spells.

Deadly Arsenal, 6 mana, deal damage equal to a random weapon's attack.
Dragon's Fury, 5 mana, deal damage equal to spell's cost.

They do the same thing, yet, Mage has the better description and better mana cost.

Same with Warrior's spellstone, it's one of the, if not, the worst Spellstone.
02/08/2019 02:58 AMPosted by Warsong
Warrior usually has worse spells compared to any class, let alone mage, who is the master of spells.

They do the same thing, yet, Mage has the better description and better mana cost.

rogues spellstone is worse, a worse assinate and needs 6deathrattles to upgrade it. warriors needs 2 weapons only and then summons 15/15 in stats.
02/08/2019 02:59 AMPosted by kilian
02/08/2019 02:58 AMPosted by Warsong

rogues spellstone is worse, a worse assinate and needs 6deathrattles to upgrade it. warriors needs 2 weapons only and then summons 15/15 in stats.

Let alone that warriors have:
2 mana get 2 random dragons
While rogues have
3 mana get 2 random deathrattles

Not only are random Dragon's stronger (a ton less crappy dragons compared to crappy deathrattles) the rogue version is over costed by 1 comparatively.
This whole "Mage is supposed to have better spells" crap, can it just end?

Warrior was supposed to have "better burst"? Ha.

Warrior was supposed to have "better removal"? HA.

Warrior was supposed to have "better weapons"? HA!
02/08/2019 03:12 AMPosted by LuKe
This whole "Mage is supposed to have better spells" crap, can it just end?

Warrior was supposed to have "better burst"? Ha.

Warrior was supposed to have "better removal"? HA.

Warrior was supposed to have "better weapons"? HA!

Never heard warrior was supposed to have better burst or removal. (They do have good removal though, otherwise there wouldn't be control warriors. Also faster minions than mage, if we are being pedantic.)

But are you actually claiming classic mage cards have better weapons than warrior? Which ones exactly? Or maybe better armor gain? Different classes are different and they should be more different not less.

Alright, only Rogue has even a worse Spellstone than Warrior.

Rogue has also lots of bad spells in general, they got a coin as expansion card....

But with Preparation they can somewhat tolerate it.

02/08/2019 05:25 AMPosted by Fera
Never heard warrior was supposed to have better burst or removal. (They do have good removal though, otherwise there wouldn't be control warriors. Also faster minions than mage, if we are being pedantic.)

Classic sets kinda reveals what Warrior is supposed to do.

They have lots of burst and lots and removals in Classic Set. The problem was that the burst and removals were too good for Classic Set.
02/09/2019 02:39 AMPosted by Warsong

Alright, only Rogue has even a worse Spellstone than Warrior.

Rogue has also lots of bad spells in general, they got a coin as expansion card....

But with Preparation they can somewhat tolerate it.

02/08/2019 05:25 AMPosted by Fera

Classic sets kinda reveals what Warrior is supposed to do.

They have lots of burst and lots and removals in Classic Set. The problem was that the burst and removals were too good for Classic Set.

coin even as expansion card is very powerfull for rogue. for combo's like vilespine,si7,edwin,minstrel. For malygos combo,draw with auctioneer. Counterfit coin was one of best cards rogues got from meanstreats if not most powerfull.
02/07/2019 08:16 PMPosted by Bowser
Mortal Strike was for a LONG time part of one of the best decks the game has seen, Pirate Warrior

Before a long history of nerfs, warrior was the most aggressive class in the game. Powerful burn spells would be overkill on top of weapons and charge minions. The class also tends to get stat heavy minions. Conversely, the mage class gets higher power spells and weaker stat minions.

It could also just be from a time when some things were balanced more around flavor than actual numbers. Mortal strike being the way it was just made more sense lore wise and with the main mechanic of the class. It's also better than giving two classes literally the same spell.

There is also no real need to change it. Warrior is performing just fine without it.
02/09/2019 09:04 AMPosted by kilian
coin even as expansion card is very powerfull for rogue. for combo's like vilespine,si7,edwin,minstrel. For malygos combo,draw with auctioneer. Counterfit coin was one of best cards rogues got from meanstreats if not most powerfull.

I just have to stop and laugh at this. Did you even play MSoG? Counterfeit Coin taught us that it is great to go second and start with a free coin, but it is terrible to actually include one in your deck. I think someone even wrote an article or at least a long forum post about how bad it is to put a coin in your deck, even for rogue.

I played a lot of HS from when MSoG was released all the way to when it rotated out. I have seen more screenshots about starting with a hand full of coins or prep Counterfeit Coin than I have seen the card played in game.
Counterfeit Coin was good for miracle to run through your deck and/or to get a big Van Cleef early tho
02/09/2019 12:03 PMPosted by SquidLips

I just have to stop and laugh at this. Did you even play MSoG? Counterfeit Coin taught us that it is great to go second and start with a free coin, but it is terrible to actually include one in your deck. I think someone even wrote an article or at least a long forum post about how bad it is to put a coin in your deck, even for rogue.

I played a lot of HS from when MSoG was released all the way to when it rotated out. I have seen more screenshots about starting with a hand full of coins or prep Counterfeit Coin than I have seen the card played in game.

and its still one of best cards rogue got from that expansion and was a core card for miracle.

I wouldn't consider it as the "most powerful" card for Rogues, not even close. In fact, it's the minions that are just really really good, any cheap spell can work with it.

Having an extra mana is nice for Auctioneer, but again, it's Auctioneer that is a really powerful card, even after the nerf.