Should I buy Warcraft III

Games, Gaming and Hardware
The game and its expansion are half off on battle.net. Ive never played any WC game besides hearthstone and I'm pretty interested in the storyline and characters. How big is the campaign? How is its replay value?

I also like pvp in RTS games (former Plat Protoss/Terran in SC2). How is the online community? Are there a lot of hackers online like SCBW? Are there still plenty of people online so that matchmaking is easy to find?
I have no idea how the game holds up. It was the best RTS of its time. I am waiting for a new one like it and many others as well.
Do it. The gameplay holds up incredibly well, 13 years later. You will still find many people online (I play 2v2 arranged team, 4v4 random team and 1v1 on USA East) and search time is anywhere from instantaneous to around 10 minutes. I haven't noticed any obvious cheating--I think that people who are still playing WC3 play for fun and not just to win at all costs. You will find that armies are going to be MUCH smaller than in SC2, and fights more frequent. There is a huge emphasis on micro--heroes and creeping sets this apart from SC2, and makes it arguably more interesting. You will likely lose if you turtle in your base trying to amass a huge army.

Custom online games are all but dead and run purely by bots at this point. As for the campaign, I haven't played that in years but I recall that it's fairly lengthy. The story is average, about what you'd expect from a Blizzard game; good vs evil, dark vs light. However, the voice acting and cinematics are excellent. I think that you'll really enjoy WC3--I still do.
I acutally just installed my battlechest from 10 years back :P W3 + Frozen Throne. I'd say buy it, it has a really neat storyline and you can see how Arthas turned darkside. Frozen Throne is all about him iirc.
it's a great game, campaign is long also
I played W3 for almost 7 years I completed the Reign of Chaos 4 times and Frozen Throne 5 times...I toyed around with map editor, I played custom games, custom maps many arcadeish things that were made with the editor, I downloaded maps off websites to play them...I played DotA1 a LOT in W3...

I think that says how good a game it is...
so bnet is still online on wc3 gonna buy it again then :p
so no ones playing the custom games anymore? does that mean you cant play them at all or you can play because i have a friend that still has the game and we were thinking about playing it again
Do it. WC3 is one of the memorable Blizzard game on par with SC broodwar. It is the birthplace of tons of custom map including DotA which what kicked this genre alive.
Community is okay, mostly Russians and Chinese guys now. Still w3arena and bnet are up, and there are some awesome custom maps (I recommend dota, elemental tower defence, and blades n gore)

Plus the campaign is amazing
If you got some friends, i'd recommend using garena and setting up a LAN party cuz that stuff is really good.especially things like pudge wars and darwin's island.
Just bought the expension today :3. Allready played it a lot, but didn't have the cd anymore, so just bought it again. It has a great campaign (allready enought to buy it imo). And can play it with my brother on lan.
Just got RoC, and most likely installing TFT tomorrow morning. Anyone willing to play some custom games let me know. I'd like to get back into the old custom games like angel arena, hero line wars, and some tower defenses.
Of course! I'v been playing WC3 since I was 12 years old, and infact have been playing blizzard games since i was maybe about 10 or 11? I'm 24 now, and have BEEN playin WC3 ever since, I personally love the game, and cant get enough of it, that is, until WC4 comes out :P
Game is still awesome. The answer is an easy yes.
Yes. Still have my double decker case (Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne) sitting on my desk.

Great games m8, even today.
I love Frozen Throne even though I am at best a mediocre player. I play Europe even though I am on east coast of USA because you can play with little wait time and people are very respectful. I have probably bought the game at least 3 times because of computer problems and disks getting scratched. Wish I could just give my cd code and get it on-line. Oh how I dream there would be another edition past Frozen Throne. Love what you guys do at Blizzard.
Hello! USEast (actually a westie) avid wc3 player here. I still play the game and go back to it every once in awhile. A few things you should know:

The game is littered in hackers. Although they are hackers, a lot of them don't do it because it gives advantage. A lot of maps on there are old now-a-days and the people who have been there for 10 years or more just know all the nooks and crannies and seeing the entire map is easier.

Hacks like infinite gold, insta-killing, and whatever else on "gamebreaking" do NOT exist, though. It's all mainly vision on the map.

Another note: Campaign is really great and you should play through all of it.

Then there is actual games on wc3 and custom games. A lot of the people who play the actual RTS games have been playing the game for 8 years and it'll be a lot more hostile than you imagine. Unless you can magically que against your friend, I don't imagine you will have fun doing that. At all.

Imagine HotS but completely unmoderated.

Now to custom games: There are clans with host bots, the ones on RoC is clan oneS and some other one I think.

TFT has Clan ENT hosting the majority of their games and MMHost bots which are used by players.
MMHost, if you feel like hosting your own game is Makemehost. It'll probably come up as the first search result. They have bot commands and such on there, so if you feel like making your own game that'd be a way to do it. Another way is through Clan ENT, or Clan Enterprise and they got a whole little walkthrough thing, but I don't know if you want to do any of this yet.

The communities that exist for WC3 mainly only consist of ENT now, and the highest the users on wc3 get per day is about 8k and maybe 9k at 3pm-5pmish west time.

I'm tired and its 12:40, so if you want to reply later and ask for more information don't be shy~
02/04/2016 11:42 PMPosted by DerpCat
Hello! USEast (actually a westie) avid wc3 player here. I still play the game and go back to it every once in awhile. A few things you should know:

The game is littered in hackers. Although they are hackers, a lot of them don't do it because it gives advantage. A lot of maps on there are old now-a-days and the people who have been there for 10 years or more just know all the nooks and crannies and seeing the entire map is easier.

Hacks like infinite gold, insta-killing, and whatever else on "gamebreaking" do NOT exist, though. It's all mainly vision on the map.

Then there is actual games on wc3 and custom games. A lot of the people who play the actual RTS games have been playing the game for 8 years and it'll be a lot more hostile than you imagine. Unless you can magically que against your friend, I don't imagine you will have fun doing that. At all.

Now to custom games: There are clans with host bots, the ones on RoC is clan oneS and some other one I think.

TFT has Clan ENT hosting the majority of their games and MMHost bots which are used by players.
MMHost, if you feel like hosting your own game is Makemehost. It'll probably come up as the first search result. They have bot commands and such on there, so if you feel like making your own game that'd be a way to do it. Another way is through Clan ENT, or Clan Enterprise and they got a whole little walkthrough thing, but I don't know if you want to do any of this yet.

The communities that exist for WC3 mainly only consist of ENT now, and the highest the users on wc3 get per day is about 8k and maybe 9k at 3pm-5pmish west time.

I'm tired and its 12:40, so if you want to reply later and ask for more information don't be shy~

02/04/2016 11:42 PMPosted by DerpCat

I'm thinking of getting this game too since I played it once a long time ago and enjoyed this game quite a lot but hearing you talk about multiplayer makes me think ill mainly be enjoying campaign and then quit the game after playing multiplayer for a bit. so I have 2 questions to ask, first is the game still as active and second how long do you think campaign will last someone who is new to the game and will play moderately like not as active but not too little
Even if the base game wasn't reason enough (Which it is), Warcraft 3 has god knows how many maps that might as well be games in their own right. It's the best blizzard RTS to date.