Lost Vikings--OP?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I am loving the vikings, absolutely epic team plays happen all the time. I am curious though-when Thrall was released a lot of complaints were happening.

I feel like the Lost Vikings are doing better than thrall, but are not getting any of the hate?

these truly are the highest skill characters i believe, because the amount of things that they can just do, are too numerous to list.

I am scared they will be nerfed.
If they balance around the pro-scene, no, they won't be nerfed for now. If balanced around plebs unable to find a cloaked Nova running around in front of them, more likely.
you have to be sooo good to pop nova out of stealth with Q using 2 of the vikings, if the nova lets something insane like that happen, you might win the game by default.

why do you think the vikings will not catch on in the pro scene? Azmodan and ETC kind of came out of nowhere a couple weekends ago.
thrall was so broken, he was insane, vikings are strong but not as thrall when he was released.
Vikings 10/10. Would buy them again.
02/20/2015 04:43 PMPosted by Zoltango
why do you think the vikings will not catch on in the pro scene? Azmodan and ETC kind of came out of nowhere a couple weekends ago.
They wouldn't work in the meta at all right now, Zerathul for example would rip them to shreds, and is a good pick already. Not to mention that Azmodan can farm them from midgame for a half kill at a time with his orb if he sees them.

Azmodan is there because Taste for Blood lets him get insane damage on his Q, imagine a Nova ultimate every few seconds lategame.
E.T.C. has become relevant because the meta is not less burst focused, and runs 2 supports as default, thus making his ultimate stronger, and his survivability a lot better. Not to mention that most other tanks has been nerfed, some into oblivion.
02/20/2015 04:52 PMPosted by Smoozie
Zerathul for example would rip them to shreds, and is a good pick already. Not to mention that Azmodan can farm them from midgame for a half kill at a time with his orb if he sees them.

Azmodan is there because Taste for Blood lets him get insane damage on his Q

I do understand what you mean. i have only taken them into 2 tournament games so far, with some success against nova, less against Zerathul.

For anyone having trouble countering the zerathul threat with LV my advice is this - obviously take jump etc. but remember, if you see the indicator you are being attacked, just using the W to jump before you have selected your viking can save you.

as people get better at this and suspecting which viking is the subject of zerathul's focus in any moment, i think LV might see more play.
02/20/2015 04:43 PMPosted by Paramore
thrall was so broken, he was insane, vikings are strong but not as thrall when he was released.

there are some times when i am riding my long boat around lvl 23 and the enemy team is lvl 24...that i think something is too good
Vikings are POWERFUL when you can use them well. Let me put it this way. It's like 3 x murkys and you can pressure them from all 3 lanes if you're good with them. I just carried a team in league a few minutes ago vs an op team of stitches, valla and tychus.

Here. Evidenced in this replay. Check the pro escapes the vikings have and even if you die a few times, they're only 1/3 of exp and you can come back and farm much more. I ended up with 50k contribution and 150 k siege damage while all my allies had under 25 k each. I kept the team pressured too.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ck7od4ud8en9uht/League_carry.StormReplay
OP at throwing matches, maybe.
The Vikings are not OP. They don't win games by themselves to warrant excessive nerfs.
They are also very hard to master and as such should be stronger than an easy hero because otherwise there would be no point in playing them if you can get the same results with less effort.
I'd say they're in a good place...which knowing Blizz it means they're doomed.
02/20/2015 05:22 PMPosted by greathouse
OP at throwing matches, maybe.

According to hotslog, even though they're one of the least popular used heroes, they have the highest winrate. ^^
They are incredibly strong if you have a very small amount of ability at micro-ing. Seriously, just select the one taking damage, make him fall back, gg.

The fact that they are actually pretty hard to kill because of their W, ultimate and later on E + the fact that they only give 0.25% of full XP when dying makes them a de facto XP denial.

Plus, they deal very good heroic damage, and tons of siege damage. I find them pretty much OP right now, not "wtf how did he one shot me" OP, or "he 1v2'd us" OP, but simply not giving off any XP whatsoever+not dying is imbalanced.

As for personal taste, I dislike playing them. I do not find auto attacking and micro-ing a few units to be an interesting gameplay. Once you're used to it, it's actually much easier than alot of other heroes.
They're way to easy to kill off individually for them to give more XP. By themselves they're less efficient than Murky.
They may be a little strong but they're not OP. In fact, more heroes should be like this instead of either too weak or too strong.
And here I thought they needed a buff for PvP matches...
Guys if I reach rank 1 with playing Vikings only, then will you believe me? This is soloQQ btw

Even then he wasn't used in the pro scene much, he even lacks a good escape until lvl 20. I'm pretty upset how they overnerfed Thrall... I realize he was a pub stomper but now he is just bad.
The difference between Thrall and TLV is that Thrall wasn't hard to use for anyone. He was a pick and play (fairly) well character.

The Lost Vikings are a significantly harder-to-use character(s). Much more thought is required for people to use them well. (In fact, I doubt I've seen five really good TLV players yet. Some have been good, but really good? not so much. And no, I'm not one of them. I'm not even good with them.)

TLV may actually be better than Thrall was, but with the skill cap being so much higher, they won't get as many complaints because you won't see the lower MMR stomping that Thrall was capable of.

Thrall was broken against players who didn't know what to do against him, the usual pubs who face tank him. Those that actually had a sense would kite him and Thrall would spend 90% of the time chasing him, 10% running away, just like warriors and frost mages in the early days of WoW.
02/20/2015 05:45 PMPosted by Cou
Guys if I reach rank 1 with playing Vikings only, then will you believe me? This is soloQQ btw

I will feel sorry for your many teammates.