A Year in the Nexus

General Feedback
This is gonna be long.

My technical alpha invitation is dated 5/15/2014. I opened Heroes the day I got that e-mail, and I basically haven't closed it since.

The very first hero I tried was Tyrande, because I wanted to play a Warcraft female. The second hero I tried was Illidan. Oh, I did not put him down.

Since I joined, I've seen an entire Illidan rework, hilarious bugs, and I specifically remember Li Li week on Twitter. I have 2,000+ matches on Illidan alone. I've posted threads pointing out unique bugs, and seen them acknowledged and fixed in the next patch. Trikslyr once commented on a thread of mine, and then I got queued up against his Murky. I had a 50-minute match because of Resurgence of the Storm. I have and use the lanyard you were rewarded for hitting player level 40 in the first alpha phase. I won a match where we wiped the enemy team with 1% left on our core. I saw Artifacts come and go within, like, a week.

I've become known around parts of the community as the all-knowing Illidan queen and master, which is incredibly fun.

I've never made so many friends in one game. The community, especially the one from back then, is so friendly. As someone who's played WoW for years and never kept a single in-game friend, this has been and continues to be a new experience and really, really fun.

What kept me around in the beginning was the hype of playing an early development game and how much there was to do. All of the heroes to learn about and strategies and maps to learn. Probably the biggest factor, though, was the friends I played with. This is an entirely different game when you have friends on the same page as you and having a good time.

Shout-out to x2wenty2x, who added me after one game and introduced me to Rolic, Soap, and meLd. They're all the best friends I've had in this game, even though a few have slowed down on playing. I'm glad I got to be the group's token female/Illidan main. Thank you for putting up with someone who only played Illidan for several months.

I've got 100 BNet friends now, so there's no way I'm calling you all out, but you know who you are.

What keeps me around now is the steady release of new content and the competitiveness. I like playing with and against higher-skilled players, where you have to vocally discuss strategy with your team to figure out how to win. I look forward to lore references and unique in-game quotes between related heroes, different dialogue for altered fates skins. That lore stuff just feeds me. I love it, please keep it coming.

Also, y'know, the friends. People I can talk to in Vent about Heroes as well as real life. Being on friends' streams, getting whooped in "Surprise! You're against this really good streamer and their entire team and you have a large audience," matches. In low-population early alpha, it was easy to get set up against your friends if there were 10 of you on. There weren't custom matches then, so it was really exciting to have that. We'd purposefully queue at the same time in hopes that we'd get put into the same match.

This is the first MOBA-styled game I've played, and I feel like it's ruined all MOBAs for me, by spoiling me with fun mechanics, a friendly atmosphere, cute lore mentions, and short matches.

I like that some people look to me for advice on the game. I love helping people out. That's one of the best parts.

Honestly, I could ramble on forever about this game and all the fun times I've had in it. It's come sssoooooo far since the day I got that invite. It's sort of ridiculous, but I feel rather motherly toward this game because of how much I've been allowed to see it grow. I've got a sense of pride for it, and I'm not even one of the developers. I can't imagine how they must feel.

Thank you, Blizzard team, for letting me have this experience. I'm sticking around for a long time. :)

P.S. You keep putting Marvel skins on the heroes I don't play. Are you doing this to mess with me?
Couldn't agree more.

I've been playing virtually non-stop since early Alpha. The game was already a blast back then, and it's come a long way.

I think the force-multiplier effect that the social side of the game has on the fun factor is something that, unfortunately, a lot of players aren't experiencing. I think the game could do a much better job encouraging people to form teams and make friends.

My wife and I logged a disgusting amount of time together in DotA 2, so we came into HotS knowing how much better a MOBA is when you have people to play with and we sought them out actively. You may not have known how much of a difference it would make coming in, but you had the benefit of the much smaller, tighter, friendlier Alpha pool.

I worry that those of us getting the most out of the game by making friends and building arranged teams are going to be in the minority going into release.

If there's one thing I'd like to see Blizzard work on in the near future, it's building features into the game to address that issue. The new Mute All feature doesn't exactly give me hope in that regard.

In any case, my friends and I are loving the game, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
As someone who befriended MissMarvel early on and then lost contact when the friends lists got wiped, I can say she is a great Illidan and a fun teammate!

I am glad to see you are still around and having a great experience! Hope to meet you in the Nexus again sometime!
Hey Az!
05/15/2015 01:48 AMPosted by Azrael
I worry that those of us getting the most out of the game by making friends and building arranged teams are going to be in the minority going into release.

Well said. There's a number of people that didn't really "get into" Heroes until I pulled them into a match with an arranged team. One pointed out how nice it is to have teamwork and coordination, because that doesn't happen to them in solo queue Quick Match. Now they always want to play with me so they can play with my friends, haha.

One thing I remember from alpha was adding everyone as friends after a good match and queueing with them again. I did this countless times and made good friends because of this strategy. I can't do that anymore (full friendlist), but I tell every new player to do it.
05/15/2015 06:41 AMPosted by Swarley1982
As someone who befriended MissMarvel early on and then lost contact when the friends lists got wiped, I can say she is a great Illidan and a fun teammate!

I am glad to see you are still around and having a great experience! Hope to meet you in the Nexus again sometime!

Omg, hey Swarley! I remember you. I'm glad to see you stuck around, too. You were always fun to play with.

Yeah, there were a few tragic losses when lists (and everything else) were wiped and we were put on public Battle.Net servers. :( But it was nice to see the game growing and becoming more of a thing.
BUT ILIDUN SUCK
ILIDAN CAN DO SOMETHING ONLY AGNUST LOW MMR PLEYERS AND ONLY IF HAVE LEVEL ADVANTAGE
BUT IF TEAM HAVE LEVEL ADVANTAGE ILIDAN NOT NEED
Hey MissMarvel, glad to hear you've had such great experiences with the game, and it does seem like a lot of the Alpha players have formed a nice community, which is cool. :)

I'm a new player, got a closed Beta invite from my friend, a longtime WoWite and came over from the occasional LoL match where I mained Ashe, Garen, Soraka and Varus (which is probably why I took to Raynor, Malfy and Tyrande so quickly)

I actually think in a lot of ways, the learning curve in HotS is a bit higher, since in LoL a lot of the early game is laning. Specific characters have specific roles and specific places to be on the map, and as long as you follow your role and pay attention, you can be effective even if you aren't thoroughly versed in the mechanics. Basically, it leans a bit more toward memorization and discipline than critical thinking and initiative (at least in the early game!).

For my part, I benefitted a lot from joining LoL U, a chat channel and forum where veteran players would get together and mentor newer players. This both helped me to make contacts and add many friends while also teaching me many of the fundamentals. Something like that would be amazing here, I think, as there's a lot more critical thinking and flexibility required, and there are a lot of mechanics which can be difficult to respond to when you're new (particularly Stealth)

Anyway, thank you for regaling us with your story, it was both touching and informative, and I hope one day I too have a full friendlist and have teams to queue up with. I'm generally not the chattiest person by nature, and my skills definitely need a few coats of polish, but I always try to be a good teammate and pitch in as best I can. :)
Thanks, Madoushi! Welcome to Heroes of the Storm. :D

You say Heroes has a bit of a higher learning curve than League, which is really interesting. But your explanation makes sense. Not only what you said, but there are many, many more maps to learn where you have to memorize each barrier, camp, meta and strategy in order to feel confident on each map. Sky Temple and Tomb have really thrown me off because I don't quite have the layout down yet. Maps like Cursed Hollow and Blackheart's Bay, though, I've got every nook and cranny memorized and strategically at my disposal, because they've been there since the beginning.

Other things -- like you said, stealth -- as well as Abathur's effect on the battlefield, dealing with Murky, mounts, even healing wells take reminders and getting used to. Simply how team-based and post-10 anti-laning this game is really must be drilled into your head.

It's a race to ten and then all 5-player teamwork from there, essentially.

I would love some kind of a third-party veteran mentoring program. There are so many unspoken things that new players would benefit from knowing. Too many to simply write out on a thread. Hell, Illidan alone - I could write an essay.

If you ever want advice on this game, I really do love to help, so I'm always up for throwing you some tips on a hero/objective/map/counter.
05/15/2015 08:10 PMPosted by MissMarvel
Thanks, Madoushi! Welcome to Heroes of the Storm. :D

You say Heroes has a bit of a higher learning curve than League, which is really interesting. But your explanation makes sense. Not only what you said, but there are many, many more maps to learn where you have to memorize each barrier, camp, meta and strategy in order to feel confident on each map. Sky Temple and Tomb have really thrown me off because I don't quite have the layout down yet. Maps like Cursed Hollow and Blackheart's Bay, though, I've got every nook and cranny memorized and strategically at my disposal, because they've been there since the beginning.

Other things -- like you said, stealth -- as well as Abathur's effect on the battlefield, dealing with Murky, mounts, even healing wells take reminders and getting used to. Simply how team-based and post-10 anti-laning this game is really must be drilled into your head.

It's a race to ten and then all 5-player teamwork from there, essentially.

I would love some kind of a third-party veteran mentoring program. There are so many unspoken things that new players would benefit from knowing. Too many to simply write out on a thread. Hell, Illidan alone - I could write an essay.

If you ever want advice on this game, I really do love to help, so I'm always up for throwing you some tips on a hero/objective/map/counter.

ALL YOU THIS BIG TEXT CAN BE expressED BY ONE NAMBER- YOU MMR
BLIZARD - PLEASE PUBLISH THIS NUMBERS
If they don't do a better job of conveying lore I think many players will be clueless and will find little value in what is provided.

05/15/2015 08:10 PMPosted by MissMarvel
There are so many unspoken things that new players would benefit from knowing. Too many to simply write out on a thread. Hell, Illidan alone - I could write an essay.

This might be more annoying than true. Just because you can write an essay on Illidan doesn't mean it will be a good one. From what I've seen many people can write crappy essays. Go figure with so much information you have so much time for fluff and so little of value to offer relative to what you cover or try to cover. Too many things to simply write out in a thread is ridiculous. Write more threads then.
@Bobby: A long time ago, I was in Burma. My friends and I were working for the local government. They were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. But their caravans were being raided in a forest north of Rangoon by a bandit. So, we went looking for the stones. But in six months, we never met anybody who traded with him. One day, I saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. The bandit had been throwing them away.

So why steal them?

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
I'm glad this game has been such a positive experience for you. It's refreshing to hear that a Moba could produce something other than vitriol and hate for humanity.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the guild/clan feature to be added in the future. Having the ability to search for and find a group of mature, older gamers would be a wonderful experience.

Also, MissMarvel, are you eagerly anticipating Cable, Upvote, Super Sonya just like me, right? I remember a post a little while back stating that you're planning on getting into Sonya. She is one of my mains; I'd be happy to run a few games with you to help you get accustomed to the character. I also plan to put out a guide relatively soon for her, if that would be of help.
Really like your post. I got my invite last year in June, also haven't put the game down!
05/15/2015 09:39 PMPosted by Sole
I'm glad this game has been such a positive experience for you. It's refreshing to hear that a Moba could produce something other than vitriol and hate for humanity.

I'm optimistic to a fault, honestly. I will squint and blur to see the good in anything. But it's not that difficult in Heroes. When I'm playing with my friends, it's genuinely just a really good time.

I understand that people get frustrated more easily than others, and the anonymity of the internet really brings out the worst in people. Half of the time they don't even mean what they're saying, so it's not to be taken seriously. Like Bobby, here.

Also, MissMarvel, are you eagerly anticipating Cable, Upvote, Super Sonya just like me, right? I remember a post a little while back stating that you're planning on getting into Sonya. She is one of my mains; I'd be happy to run a few games with you to help you get accustomed to the character. I also plan to put out a guide relatively soon for her, if that would be of help.

Yes! That would be awesome! The Cable skin is so fun, visually. I need it. And a Deadpool skin on someone else to match. A guide would also be tremendous. I haven't the slightest idea how to play her. Except maybe to spin. And just keep spinning. GG
Cute, MissMarvel. I know the reference. It's pretty pathetic that it takes so little for you to see irrationality. Maybe some men just find people like you more fluff than substance and you can't handle that. Rather than ramble, as you put it, go ahead and help players especially as you know so much threads aren't a good enough vehicle for your knowledge.

05/15/2015 12:22 AMPosted by MissMarvel
I've become known around parts of the community as the all-knowing Illidan queen and master, which is incredibly fun.

So what?
Good to hear. I'm not sure if I'll be playing much tonight, but here is my friend code if you want to add me in the future:

Sole#1894
That's pretty much the only one I liked of the three recent ones. But it was an outstanding one. Not sure I've ever seen a better performance or villain. Even the plot itself and part of the things made no sense. He might've just carried the movie.

The post. It's... bah, it's gone.
In a few months, I'll have been a year in the nexus too. I've never been a shining player. And to tell the truth I hated League, played for like a week, it got stupidly repetitive.

I played WoW in blizz since the final of Cataclism, and played full Pandaria. In my childhood I played SC and BW but I was never too good. I've got SC2 (bot expansions) and I'm eagerly waiting for the third one to be released. I was one of the "lucky guys" in my guild to get an invite for hearthstone beta for a unknown reason. Most of my guildies were jealous.

Then it came the day when I started the battle.net app and the "heroes" logo was there. It was the first wave of international invites (I'm Chilean) and I had it. God I was happy. I started as Raynor, then E.T.C, then Tychus, then Stitches, then Nova. I saw, just like you, artifacts come and go. I saw Nova get nerfed, then nerfed again, then buffed with Anti-Armor shells, then nerfed again then nerfed once again. I saw rage posts from Illidan here. "Nova OP, please nerf".

I made quite a few friends here but they got removed in the process (friend list clean, as you said). I've added a few people here and there, and also play with a few guildies from wow (I stopped playing wow before WoD came out). I've tried to be a good beta tester, and sometimes I've had my share of bad luck matches and I've raged. But still, at the end of the day, this is the only moba I've come to like and love. A few IRL friends play with me here, but as I said I'm no star player so we've probably never faced each other.

This game is simply awesome. It's gonna sound fanboyish but the subtle references, somethings that people don't get if they've not read the novels, or played other blizz games. The details when killing certain heroes (Sylvannas to Thrall: "That's for leaving the horde to Garrosh"), or greeting each other (Nova: Hmm... Kerrigan... / Kerrigan: Yes... And you are...?) One can say that behind all the bufs, possible imbalance issues, problems and lag spikes here and there, in the end, they've really put a lot of effort to get the game done as good as possible, and I'm grateful for that.

To everyone that has played and enjoyed the game: Keep rocking the nexus, and maybe someday we will face each other in glorious combat... or a roflstomp, depending on the teams.

TL,DR: I've had fun here too. And I hope lots of people also will.
05/15/2015 09:51 PMPosted by Fiasco
Really like your post. I got my invite last year in June, also haven't put the game down!

Glad we're on the same boat! I can't believe the game is being actually released. It seems so soon. Alpha was just a few months ago, y'know? But as long as the devs feel it's ready, it's ready.

05/15/2015 10:06 PMPosted by Sole
Good to hear. I'm not sure if I'll be playing much tonight, but here is my friend code if you want to add me in the future:

Sole#1894

Added you!