Growing the HOTS ANZ scene

Aus/NZ General Discussion
08/09/2015 03:40 AMPosted by HappyRage
My one question I have is, After Road to Blizzcon stuff being done with, are we going to go back to only 6 team tournaments. Thus weekly stuff would be pretty pointless.

It's kind of a chicken and the egg situation, no teams because there are no competitions. No competitions because there are no teams.

But yeah, I'm keen for weekly bo3 matches where we can set times. Also you might be find that its easier to cast games, if the time suits you happy rage. Something akin to Immunity vs x5 on Thursday 7pm and you are free at that time. Otherwise someone else could cast the game, an amateur caster.
08/09/2015 03:40 AMPosted by HappyRage
My one question I have is, After Road to Blizzcon stuff being done with, are we going to go back to only 6 team tournaments. Thus weekly stuff would be pretty pointless.

New teams have less to lose in weekly events than they do in monthly events.

Pretty much at the moment a new team that might not be that great can only compete by signing up for a monthly tournament single elimination where they play 2 games then get eliminated.

At the moment there are 2-3 teams that usually accept scrim offers and are easy to organize with. The other 4 or so teams that claim to be competitive will start playing us more if they are part of a weekly event that requires them to get their !@#$ together.

The competitive scene will grow faster with weeklies because they enforce commitment and are not high risk events for teams.

We are barely seeing any improvements from a lot of teams after each monthly because they only really scrim a week before in preparation.

Having weeklies means teams are wanting to scrim at least once each week in preparation = teams improve = anz scene becomes more competitive rather than just having exile5 and iM winning almost all of their competitive matches.
agree with arcancer and to add on for new teams that form losing can really destroy there moral causing them to disband . Would be nice to see the scene grow into something bigger and better :*)
Lets do it.

I am keen. Lets get this going! I have already thought about a 25 weeks comp with a build up to an event. 3 blocks of 6 weeks with 2 week break between. Top 2 teams each month win a place at the comp at the end of the 25 weeks. 8 teams top so there is two spots to be seeded from other events or invites etc. just something open.

50 weeks of minor events with 2 Major events during the year.

I know there is a few people working on different leagues like this. we should all get together and super charge one awesome league.

I reckon if we work hard enough on the idea and present advertising slots with sponsorship deals we could get some money / prizes sorted. They wouldn't be great this year but as it grows so would the prizes.
08/10/2015 12:15 AMPosted by Disconcur
I reckon if we work hard enough on the idea and present advertising slots with sponsorship deals we could get some money / prizes sorted. They wouldn't be great this year but as it grows so would the prizes.

Couldn't care less for $ reward - the incentive for me is to actually have a broadcasted ladder of the anz teams to see where which team is at -- not to mention the incentive of actually having teams to vs on a regular basis.
Couldn't care less for $ reward - the incentive for me is to actually have a broadcast ladder of the anz teams to see where which team is at -- not to mention the incentive of actually having teams to vs on a regular basis.

I would like to see the ladder running before prizes / money sorted but I think it is important to keep that stuff in mind now. If it isn't thought about now it will be hard to bring into it later.

27th of August is when I would like to see something start.
@ Disconcur - think about how easy it will be to find topics on your podcasts with weekly tournaments happening ! :D
08/10/2015 05:24 PMPosted by Arcaner
@ Disconcur - think about how easy it will be to find topics on your podcasts with weekly tournaments happening ! :D

Hahaha like reporting the Football scores each week. Would be good though =)

It looks like Rukk, Happyrage and myself are all keen to get something like this off the ground. we need to get together and combine forces. I am like itching to just throw something out there.I have unlimited webhosting with bluehost, would just have to pay for domain hosting.
^ I was actually looking at registering a domain/hosting, so maybe I'll hold off. If we can join forces that'd be great, feeling like I don't have enough time to get everything off the ground quickly. HMU on battletag Rukk[hash]6188
08/10/2015 09:59 PMPosted by Rukk
^ I was actually looking at registering a domain/hosting, so maybe I'll hold off. If we can join forces that'd be great, feeling like I don't have enough time to get everything off the ground quickly. HMU on battletag Rukk[hash]6188

Alright I will add you tonight. Oh man tonight will be so busy. PTR patch notes, Rewrite podcast, Discussion on launching/running the greatest Hots league in the world.

so busy...
^ Ah I think I may have denied you. Force of habit to remove random invites, my b try again lol.
lol, no worries =)
Let us know how you get on, we'll be happy to share news about it on Twitter to spread awareness!
08/12/2015 11:01 PMPosted by Takralus
Let us know how you get on, we'll be happy to share news about it on Twitter to spread awareness!

What is the best way to contact the Blizzard ANZ in regards to this kind of stuff? Tournaments, podcast, questions etc =)
Australians are fairly competitive and love their sport. They just like things simple and easy.

You don’t need to reinvent anything as there are already successful models out there that you could adopt for heroes and use to facilitate growth in Australia.

If you have several different leagues and all going off in their own direction you will most likely do more harm than good.

If you have leagues popping up and being disbanded just as quick then there is no stability or consistency for that growth.

The best thing you could do is centralise all heroes Leagues/Tournaments in Australia and make it very easy to get into. Also make sure if a new league starts then it has support to run over a period of time.

There are plenty of great people in the Heroes community all you need is a few people who can group up these great people and make sure they are working together in areas they enjoy and everything will fall in place.

Personally I really want to see Pro Australian teams competing with the rest of the world but afraid we are playing catch-up.

Just my 2 cents…
I think weekly matches and a casual ladder plus the few tournaments going on would be a good spot to be in.

Would be nice to develop a central Esports league for the fully competitive teams but I don't think we are quite big enough yet for something like that to work.

I am in the process of developing a community site for ANZ. Most of the work is done I just need to register a domain and flesh out the content a bit more. The site will have a community calendar for events and info on teams, tournaments, links to ANZ content creators plus a heroes new section. I feel that would help having a central site to get info about things out there.
Australia, logistically isn't suited for esports to flourish.
small population (relative to Asia/Europe/Americas) spread over a large area...
Sweeden for example has 10million people vs 450,295 km2 (22 people per km2)
Australia has almost 24 million vs 7,692,024 km2 vs 3 people per km2

good luck on getting investors in...:(
we also cant compete with other regions cause we cant play them on even playing fields...thus dont grow/get better.
i.e. if u want to get serious with esports, move to asia/america/europe
The population spread issue is only a problem for physical tournaments attendance. I don’t see online tournaments, events, leagues suffering too much from this. In fact I would say that is one of the big appeals of Esports in for the ANZ scene.

You are right about investors though. Very hard sell at the moment with how small the scene is. We are in weird situation where we are small because there isn’t much interest and there isn’t much interest because we are small xD. The game is also new and will take its own time to grow a player base so the natural growth will help.

Unable to compete against other regions is a fair statement but it comes from the fact we don’t have an ANZ scene or set tournaments for them to enter against (or worthwhile enter anyway). Our teams look to other regions to get the competitive play they need to grow.
We aren’t going to have a serious Esports region over night towards Heroes but I feel by trying to improve the accessibility of the game & competitive play through the weeklies and developing league are a great start. We also have more ANZ streamers popping up every day for Heroes which help grows the player base.

Right now I feel the first course of action is to develop a central place for information. A single place everyone in the ANZ region can go for news and information. Increase the general awareness of what is happening in our little scene. From investors, to players, to new teams, to people thinking about switching, to Blizzard themselves and all the other regions can see what the ANZ scene looks like and what it is offering.

(I like bananas, thanks for reading.)

First step is to realise what we have and then work out a plan to move forward. If you don’t know where you are going any road will take you there.
Game needs more infrastructure to be built in to it if ONLINE is to become more successful.

In steam/dota anyone can start up an online competition, complete with an ingame scheduler n everything (course there are fees etc )
...teams buy into the competition, becomes part of the prize pool...observers have to buy tickets (+ to prize pool) to watch/receive an in-game item/prize, unique to that tournament..
it's beyond easy..
Worth a read:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1719-OPHL-1139

heroes requires a lot of 3rd party organization...blizzard needs to take a page out of steams book imho...
I have seen the DOTA2 leagues and they are amazing! I really do hope they take Heroes down a similar path. Would just make everything so much easier and cleaner.

Just in game league / tournament generation would be boss.

Time to tweet Dustin again. =D