Growing the HOTS ANZ scene

Aus/NZ General Discussion
08/17/2015 07:39 PMPosted by Zelf
we also cant compete with other regions cause we cant play them on even playing fields...thus dont grow/get better.

This is entirely false. The only reason EU and NA regions are better than us is because they invest in more tournaments with better rewards.

They have more incentive to be amazing. If an australian teams had the incentive to play a lot then we'd improve.

I predict a massive improvement in our scenes capabilities when weeklies are introduced.
08/18/2015 03:27 AMPosted by Arcaner
I predict a massive improvement in our scenes capabilities when weeklies are introduced.

Realistically there would have to be sponsor involvement and good prize pools for weeklies to work.

Without that, it will be a ghost town. Only the same couple of fanatical teams would participate.
08/18/2015 08:24 AMPosted by robadobah
08/18/2015 03:27 AMPosted by Arcaner

Realistically there would have to be sponsor involvement and good prize pools for weeklies to work.

Without that, it will be a ghost town. Only the same couple of fanatical teams would participate.

http://battlefy.com/x5-happyrage/x5-monthly-brawl-220815/55c318ba17119e440048b471/teams

Only three teams signed up for this so far R.I.P
08/18/2015 08:43 AMPosted by Benjamin94
<span class="truncated">...</span>

http://battlefy.com/x5-happyrage/x5-monthly-brawl-220815/55c318ba17119e440048b471/teams

Only three teams signed up for this so far R.I.P

I'm sure there will be a bunch of teams signing up at the last minute but still looks like it is going to be small.

The weekly at least give teams an opportunity to be involved in something. Easier to start a team with weeklies in mind then just a once a month tournament.

There isn't anything to show to sponsor at the moment to get investment and bigger competitions going. We had 3 big tournaments and the amount of VODs for that are terrible. We got nothing to show. I did like 3 - 4 replays to VODs but like only a gain of sand compared to what was available at the time.
Not really. you read what u wanted to read.
I meant that we cannot easily PLAY vs other regions on level playing fields.

from the beginning (quickmatch / hero league) players in those regions are able to play against a MASSIVE pool of players...so the quantity of higher skilled players is much higher due to the high total quantity.

Basically we (ANZ) may only have 1 team that might be able to get into the top 30 teams in the world maybe? where as countries like Sweden have multiple teams in the top 20 (for hots and other games etc)

Until ANZ players from all skill levels are able to play with other regions on level playing fields, the ANZ scene will never ever grow/get better. We just currently don't have enough players...
in the history of e-sports we've never done well on the global scene...doing well vs South east asia means nothing...mainly beating teams from korea/china/European/AMerican regions counts

In Europe, you can play with under 100 ping in a total population of almost 750 million people vs ANZ 28 million total (of course this is generalizing and only a certain % of those populations play online games...but yeah (: no surprise we don't do very well.

with sports, say Rugby, we are the best at that , heaps of long standing infrastructure...from a young age...

gonna need an investor to take a big risk and put up a massive prize pool league together to get the juices flowing...would need to be consistent quarterly ...but still we'd probably only get 1 team that would be worthy on the gobal stage...

We've got some good dota 2 players that rank in the top 10-20 on the SEA ranked ladder...again means nothing as the majority of players in the top 1000 on the europe ladder would stomp SEA players...no SEA team in the top 10 for dota 2

Been around the competitive gaming scene for 15 years...and follow it very closely...dota/cs/LoL/war3/starcraft2 etc....

If I win the lotto, id so put together a million dollar prize pool tournament for DOTA, league of legends and HOTS...maybe smite...it's all it would take....and pay for AUSSIES/Kiwi's to move to Europe / America and play there...that'd be so cool...id love doing that !@#$...
08/13/2015 12:55 AMPosted by Disconcur
08/12/2015 11:01 PMPosted by Takralus
Let us know how you get on, we'll be happy to share news about it on Twitter to spread awareness!

What is the best way to contact the Blizzard ANZ in regards to this kind of stuff? Tournaments, podcast, questions etc =)

Just hit us up on Twitter! Send us an @ or DM :)
@Blizzard_ANZ
08/18/2015 07:50 PMPosted by Dijemoto
Not really. you read what u wanted to read.
I meant that we cannot easily PLAY vs other regions on level playing fields.

from the beginning (quickmatch / hero league) players in those regions are able to play against a MASSIVE pool of players...so the quantity of higher skilled players is much higher due to the high total quantity.

Basically we (ANZ) may only have 1 team that might be able to get into the top 30 teams in the world maybe? where as countries like Sweden have multiple teams in the top 20 (for hots and other games etc)

Until ANZ players from all skill levels are able to play with other regions on level playing fields, the ANZ scene will never ever grow/get better. We just currently don't have enough players...
in the history of e-sports we've never done well on the global scene...doing well vs South east asia means nothing...mainly beating teams from korea/china/European/AMerican regions counts

In Europe, you can play with under 100 ping in a total population of almost 750 million people vs ANZ 28 million total (of course this is generalizing and only a certain % of those populations play online games...but yeah (: no surprise we don't do very well.

with sports, say Rugby, we are the best at that , heaps of long standing infrastructure...from a young age...

gonna need an investor to take a big risk and put up a massive prize pool league together to get the juices flowing...would need to be consistent quarterly ...but still we'd probably only get 1 team that would be worthy on the gobal stage...

We've got some good dota 2 players that rank in the top 10-20 on the SEA ranked ladder...again means nothing as the majority of players in the top 1000 on the europe ladder would stomp SEA players...no SEA team in the top 10 for dota 2

Been around the competitive gaming scene for 15 years...and follow it very closely...dota/cs/LoL/war3/starcraft2 etc....

If I win the lotto, id so put together a million dollar prize pool tournament for DOTA, league of legends and HOTS...maybe smite...it's all it would take....and pay for AUSSIES/Kiwi's to move to Europe / America and play there...that'd be so cool...id love doing that !@#$...

I have taken a little offence that opening statement. My ego is big enough that I believe you are talking about me xD.

Great post and it really does highlights the issue that the region will face but I don't accept not trying or just giving up.

Would you be willing to have a live discussion at all? I have been thinking of doing a live discussion with a bunch of people and getting ideas and opinions. I don't know how much it would help but this thread alone got 2 -3 things started which i feel at least support the community.

Cheers,
I just believe that the top NA teams > Top anz teams because some NA teams get paid salaries and compete in more tournaments hence have more reason to scrim and practice than ANZ.
The key is not the pro scene for Aus/NZ it is actually the next step down. The Semi Pro or Amateur teams are where you should be focusing your attention.

Blizzard will focus on the Casuals and make sure their game is good and popular.

You need to find ways pull Casuals out and give them the courage to play in the amateur tournaments. If people are not joining then what can be done to facilitate that growth?

Some Examples

Small Prize pools with very deep payouts.
Resources and strategies on how to build Amateur Teams and be competitive.
Leagues that teams can jump in at any time and ranked so new teams have a chance to be competitive.

Once you have a good Tournament scene then you will find teams and player rising to the top becoming your Australian Pro teams.

Disconcur I think said you need a plan and he is totally correct. You need a plan and a very strong vision on the Aus/NZ scene. You then need to figure out the steps to get that plan going and find the right people who can help with that plan

You don’t need large amounts of cash to grow the Aus/NZ scene. Yes it might make it a little quicker but only if you have the right people investing time into growing the scene.

A good example is the SolidJakeGG who over the past 18 months has grown the NA Heroes scene and did that will very little money. That is a blueprint you can follow in AU.

If I was to hypothetically offer $10,000 for a tournament how would you grow the Aus/NZ Heroes of the Storm scene and what would I get from my investment?