So, uh, Nova

General Discussion
Nova doesn't really need a nerf. I always get loads of negative reactions to first picking nova, or picking nova at all at rank 1 or close to it. Majority of my wins in ranked, albeit not even 100 yet, come from her. The only time she should get full stacks of gathering power is if the enemy team isn't taking the necessary precautions against her - in other words, your team is atrocious. It's harsh, but it's true. I've gone against teams that immediately punish me for even trying to distract a KT or Jaina from the team fight or possibly assassinating them. I've gone against teams that have a Kara, Uther, or Tassadar. Anyone with anti-stealth vision. I've gone against people who can spot my shimmer the second I even move in their sight. Nova's great for being a bully to the new people, or to people who can't counter her at all. I mean, look at Jaina or KT. They can AOE and melt entire teams. KT has burst that could put a tank to shame faster than Nova with 15 GP, the right build, and rewind could. To top that off he has a stun, a blink and arcane barrier (the common survival and escape traits I see regardless of no nova presence.) In Alpha Nova's Snipe was extremely easy to hit, it was huge compared to it's narrow shot now. If you're having difficulties against a Nova with KT when you could quite possibly kill her with phoenix alone, you might have some problems.
01/12/2016 01:46 AMPosted by Alpha
01/12/2016 01:12 AMPosted by Gezber
So when the enemy team has a Nova you have to completely change your talent build, be very careful (or better don't leave the gates at all) and attack her first (even if you can't see her so just aoe random space).

It is very fun to play against her....

She desperately needs to be nerfed. The people on this forum who play her can't handle it, but the reality is that as soon as she get GP stacks she just wanders the map one shotting people. She takes over whole games because there's no longer any counterplay to her.

The development team has said they are looking at her. They need to make fixing her a priority.

Or in other words she is great against terribad people. Like a butcher's target not moving, or driving around hammer.
Especially as Kaelthas. Until Double Decoy she is negligible. By then you already have arcane barrier, one of the most opaf abilities in the game next to rewind. What do you even do against Zeratul who is going to set up that whole team wipe?
Well, you could start countering Nova by stop acting like a whiny little b*tch.

People here have already given some solid advice so I may be just repeating them here but here we go; stay behind minions and your teammates. Look at the map and see if Nova can be seen anywhere there. Look around you for shimmer. Use Flamestrike to reveal her instead of Gravity Laps since that may actually hit her. Arcane Barrier at level 16.

That should be enough advice. Learn and adapt or feed and cry forever. The choice is yours.
01/12/2016 01:46 AMPosted by Alpha
She desperately needs to be nerfed. The people on this forum who play her can't handle it, but the reality is that as soon as she get GP stacks she just wanders the map one shotting people. She takes over whole games because there's no longer any counterplay to her.

The development team has said they are looking at her. They need to make fixing her a priority.
For an 'OP' hero she sure doesn't have a high win rate. Around 50% in all leagues. Well, except for Team League where her win rate seems to be 44.2%. Hmm I wonder if you even know what the word 'OP' really means.

Blizzard is not "looking at her" because she's OP and desperately needs nerfing like heroes, such as Tyrande, Raynor and Kael'thas are. She's been looked at because she lacks talent diversity. She got exactly one job and only one viable talent build and that of course is not what Blizzard wants. Don't expect Nova to get any big nerfs or anything. Because there is no need for any nerfs. Not according to her win rates anyway.

And the current Gathering Power actually made her more viable in Hero League and high ranked competitive play in general. It's a high risk = high reward kind of talent now for her. Too bad it's pretty much the only viable talent for her in that tier and that's a problem. She keeps getting stacks? Better kill her fast so she loses them all. Can't do it? Well, too bad! You and your team suck then.
kt is meant to do mass damage to multiple heroes while she is meant to counter kt.. duh!

you seek protection from a team mate picking butcher, illidan, or zeratul to kill her when she tries to kill you.

all day, kt vs nova.. you will be owned as you are supposed to be.
I love when murky players feed her GP early game. Just brings a warm tingling feeling of happiness and sunshine when she opens in team fights and puts either 1 near dead or death. I love 4v5.
pretty sure clairvoyance is available at level 4, so you don't have to feed till 16, pop clairvoyance, pay attention,

by the way does your Kael'thas have problems with stitches (avoid the hook) or Zeratul watch the blink, or Butcher watch out for that charge, or Tyreal watch out for Judgement ?
While laning: don't push the minion wave and immediately walk backward when someone with cc approaches you. Only cast abilities on the wave when the wave is about to reach towers.

While teamfighting: Stay near your tanks and healers. You can't do damage if you are dead, so it is often better to stay away from their tanks.
cry babies and bads, destroying fun in games since 2006.
Kael players are the last ones who should complain about somebody else.
The definition of counterplay is not Divine Shield.

In this case, counterplay involves situational awareness, map awareness, tracking when Nova was last seen, knowing the timing of moving lane to lane, realizing when you are and are not a vulnerable target, watching for the shimmer from likely attack angles, and positioning yourself to make the initial snipe harder to land.

It is a skill to avoid dying to cloakers, one that takes practice.
01/12/2016 05:14 AMPosted by TiaPan320
pretty sure clairvoyance is available at level 4, so you don't have to feed till 16, pop clairvoyance, pay attention,

Clairvoyance is level 7 actually, and there's no way you should pick that over Fission Bomb even if the enemy team has Nova and Zeratul. Just keep your eyes open and look for the shimmer, and don't wander around at low health.
Not walk in straight lines and by yourself so she gets off easy snipes.

If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a snipe.
If you've given her a lot of GP stacks you dont have much counterplay.

Otherwise, make sure you stand in the minion waves to dodge snipes and try and spot her out. If she opens on you and doesn't kill you, just turn on her and combo her. She'll die.
if you stand ontop of your minion wave most nova's as I find just snipe the minions and this takes off a big potion of her burst
01/12/2016 06:16 AMPosted by Inebriate
If you've given her a lot of GP stacks you dont have much counterplay.
Oh there is counterplay. You simply kill her. Gathering Power Stacks doesn't make her any harder to kill. Can't do it? Well, too bad. The Nova player is either too good or you're too bad. It's that simple.
01/12/2016 05:31 AMPosted by DefyGravity
While laning: don't push the minion wave and immediately walk backward when someone with cc approaches you. Only cast abilities on the wave when the wave is about to reach towers.

While teamfighting: Stay near your tanks and healers. You can't do damage if you are dead, so it is often better to stay away from their tanks.

first and foremost id say do the opposite of the first point. a good nova simply wont camp your lane due to losing out on GP stacks. take one of the side lanes so it limits the amount of angles that nova can try and gank you from.
id clear the wave as soon as it pops up, which should really only take 1 infused q and a bomb, if not just one infused q.
as kt you should be able to solo this, and if she comes for agank your e should take care of it. ive done it plenty of times myself and have had minimum problems that i couldnt prevent.
if you're still having trouble then lane with someone or get gud.

mid-late game is when you should have arc barrier and blink just stay near your tanks like the guy said.
/thread.
01/12/2016 05:14 AMPosted by TiaPan320

by the way does your Kael'thas have problems with stitches (avoid the hook) or Zeratul watch the blink, or Butcher watch out for that charge, or Tyreal watch out for Judgement ?

Lol nova doesn't counter Kael. Nova is an idiot check. Just look for the shimmer and she'll die in a living bomb and like two AA's.

I'm not even good..........Nova's talents actually need buffed so she can at least have some flexibility for laning at a reasonable rate and doing some sort of Siege damage aside from going off alone and continually popping in and out of stealth to hit the towers. I think AA's from almost every other hero, including Morales, would do more damage over the same period of time that it takes Nova to pop into and out of stealth and siege for anything worth a crap.

Zeratul and the Butcher are far harder to deal with on Kael, imo. Coordinated Butcher/Diablo pairings will farm the crap outta Kael.