New Rank 1 Matchmaking Rule

General Discussion
1 2 3 11 Next
We just released a two-part improvement for the Heroes of the Storm matchmaker that will help players near the top of the ranking system find competitive matches against other top players more consistently. Thanks in large part to player reports, we discovered an edge-case scenario in which those with very high matchmaking ratings could be matched with one or more lower-ranked players, and the first part of today’s change greatly limits the likelihood that this will occur in the future.

The other half of our improvement today adds a new rule to ranked matchmaking that’s intended to tighten up the range of skill that Rank 1 players can be matched with and against. With this rule, Rank 1 players will now be more consistently matched with and against others between Ranks 1 – 4.

As with many of our matchmaking restrictions, please keep in mind that this new rule can be relaxed under certain conditions. For example, it’s still possible that Rank 1 players will occasionally see allies and opponents between Ranks 5 – 7 in their games and, in rare cases, may even be matched with or against Rank 8+ players. However, situations like these should be infrequent after today’s update.

Rank 1 players – We’re eager to hear from you, so hop into Hero League and let us know how your matches feel after today’s change. As always, we’d like to thank everyone who continues to provide constructive feedback for the new matchmaking system. We’re still closely monitoring the matchmaker internally, and working hard to roll out additional improvements in future patches.
Feb 3 -156
Fix your QM matchmaking first, I am sure way more people are suffering because of it.
How will this affect those in party? Let's say, a rank 1 with a rank 20?
why should QM be changed ur suppose to try new builds new heroes not to play competitive in some words in QM u are not supposed to Win but to Learn
02/03/2016 10:21 AMPosted by Xombie

At the moment, the matchmaker will take an average of their ranks and match based on that. So if you're a rank 1 player partied with someone several ranks lower, you could still be matched with rank 8+ allies and enemies.

For players in their placement matches, the system will match based on its current estimation of that player's rank.
Yeah uh, I don't play Ranked and I never will, so improvements to Quick Match matchmaking would be greatly appreciated as well.
02/03/2016 10:28 AMPosted by Spyrian

At the moment, the matchmaker will take an average of their ranks and match based on that. So if you're a rank 1 player partied with someone several ranks lower, you could still be matched with rank 8+ allies and enemies.

For players in their placement matches, the system will match based on its current estimation of that player's rank.
...aaaaaaand this is still the problem.

Why aren't you guys seeing this? What about it is so difficult to understand that *this* is causing the most amount of grief and discontent?

Your "MMR Averaging" system is a horrifically-designed attempt to get matches put together as quickly as possible. I could list the reasons and give you mathematical explanations as to why, but I feel it would all be in vain, as it has been explained in countless threads.
02/03/2016 10:09 AMPosted by Bustar
Fix your QM matchmaking first, I am sure way more people are suffering because of it.

Kid wants better comps in QM but doesn't play the competitive mode with the better comps lol.

Go away. QM is fine. Weird comps work in QM.

Lmao, the same average rule ...
so all rank 1's with greatly varying MMR will still be a problem?

ie balanced match = 4400 + 2600 + 2700 +2900 +3000 = 3100 + 3300 + 3100 + 3400 +3100
02/03/2016 10:22 AMPosted by Tudor
why should QM be changed ur suppose to try new builds new heroes not to play competitive in some words in QM u are not supposed to Win but to Learn

Some people don't want to play Hero League. They want to play a competitive game with a team and hero makeup of their choice...
pointless upgrade.

fix you mmr volatility first.
...or tell us you like smurfs.

Just some questions:

1) If a rank 1 and rank 30 queue together, it would mean that they'll likely be matched with rank 5+ allies and higher. When that happens, can high MMR players still be sucked into such a game to balance out the enemy team?

I would hope not, because it doesn't seem fair to the solo/duo queue high MMR players who want to be matched with others close to their ranks.

2) Since it's supposedly not possible to hit rank 5 and below through placements alone, does this change mean that rank 1 players should generally not get players doing their placements in their game?
Please just release season 1. Hero League is so pointless right now.
02/03/2016 10:44 AMPosted by LittlePants
...aaaaaaand this is still the problem.

Why aren't you guys seeing this? What about it is so difficult to understand that *this* is causing the most amount of grief and discontent?

Your "MMR Averaging" system is a horrifically-designed attempt to get matches put together as quickly as possible. I could list the reasons and give you mathematical explanations as to why, but I feel it would all be in vain, as it has been explained in countless threads.

There are more improvements on the way for matchmaking. I understand where you're coming from, and get that you're frustrated with some matches, but the change you're describing isn't the one we made today.

There are a lot of factors that have to be considered before we implement new matchmaking improvements. Every change we make takes time to be sure we're headed in the right direction, and then create, test, simulate, iterate and then execute that change. Some of the changes we have in store are even reliant on other changes coming to the game first, so this isn't a situation where we can say "here's everything right now, we're done!" It's a complicated process where each improvement needs to get its own specific attention.

Sorry we're not moving at the speed you'd like, but we're still working on future improvements every day.
02/03/2016 10:41 AMPosted by Accelerator
Yeah uh, I don't play Ranked and I never will, so improvements to Quick Match matchmaking would be greatly appreciated as well.

Right, Because the game is being developed around you Specifically
Now I'm not going to assume anything, but the "average rule" for matchmaking in HL should not simply be a basic average calculation(if you are going to use that rule at all).

You should be doing a weighted average for players at different levels (rank X team with a non-rank X player). If you have a rank 1 queueing with a Rank 8, the Rank 1's MMR should be weighted more heavily. The skill difference may not be as significant at lower levels, but at higher levels it will.

Its ranked mode, having higher skill players should put a duo queueing into a higher skill group than the lower player, not other way around, with a Higher rank/MMR player leading a team of lower Rank/MMR player.

Basic average rule can work for QM, its not that important. There is a significant difference in skill among players, and weighted averages account for that. Please consider such variables when developing algorithms for MMing.
02/03/2016 10:44 AMPosted by LittlePants
I could list the reasons and give you mathematical explanations as to why

Considering that this is a blue post, why DON'T you post your mathematical explanation equation. If you want it fixed, the best thing to do is give an example (even if other threads supposedly have one) OR post a link so they can more easily identify a contingency. Action > Words.
thanks blizzard