New Quick Match Party Size Rule – Jan 13, 2016

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Hi everyone!

As part of our ongoing improvements for the Heroes of the Storm matchmaking system, we’ve just implemented a new change that will affect what types of parties you may get matched against while playing Quick Match. Starting today, we’ve greatly reduced the possibility that you’ll be matched against a party that has three more members than the largest party on your own team.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let’s expand on what that means. Take a look at a few common party sizes below, and what you can expect to see in Quick Match after today:

• Solo players: Cannot be matched against four or five-player parties.
  • Duo players*: Cannot be matched against five-player parties.
  • Three-player parties: Can match against any party size.

It is important to note that the matchmaker will still prioritize match quality over party size, and may pull in parties outside of these ranges if the resulting game is the most suitable match available. This means that it’s still possible to play against a party that’s larger than your own, but this will only occur in rare cases.

*EDIT: There has been some confusion about how parties of 3 can match against full parties. This rule is based on the largest party size on each team, so it IS still possible that 2 and 3-player parties (or 4+1 solo) will be matched together against a full party. However, as mentioned above, the matchmaker still prioritizes match quality, so the system will do its best to ensure your game is the best match available at the time the game is created. You should see cases like 2+1+1+1 and 5 solos against full parties much less often.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We’re still hard at work exploring and testing further improvements for the matchmaking system internally, and your feedback helps us make sure our changes are headed in the right direction. Keep playing games, and keep sending your constructive thoughts about matchmaking our way. We’ll have more information to share about upcoming matchmaking changes in the future.
Thank you!
so a triple can be matched against a 5-man but no longer benefits with a duo with them?

Otherwise good changes overall.
Every game I've played with a party of three has been against a party of five and it doesn't seem to be going well. Not sure if this is just me or if it's a problem across the board.
How would a party of 3 vs a party of 5 if partys of 2 cant join?
To quote Tychus, "It's about damned time."
5v5 = yes
5v4/1 = yes
5v3/2 = yes
4/1v3/2 = yes
4/1v2/2/1 = yes
4/1v3/1/1 = yes
3/2v3/2 = yes
3/2v3/1/1 = yes
3/2v2/1/1/1 = yes
3/1/1v2/1/1/1 =yes
2/1/1/1v2/1/1/1 = yes
2/1/1/1v1/1/1/1/1 = yes
1/1/1/1/1v1/1/1/1/1 = yes

4/1v1/1/1/1/1 = no, or very unlikely
5v1/1/1/1/1 = no, or extremely unlikely

did I get that right?
01/13/2016 05:43 PMPosted by Asher

Yeah, this literally makes no sense.
01/13/2016 05:38 PMPosted by Dreadnought
so a triple can be matched against a 5-man but no longer benefits with a duo with them?

it's impossible for party of 3 to go against 5 stacks, as they will be paired up with either solo or duo players, who cannot be matched against 5 stacks.

01/13/2016 05:48 PMPosted by Raida

it's impossible for party of 3 to go against 5 stacks, as they will be paired up with either solo or duo players, who cannot be matched against 5 stacks.

01/13/2016 11:05 AMPosted by Spyrian
three more members than the largest party on your own team.

It says the largest party on your team, not the party you are in. If a duo and 3 man party are on the same team, the largest party on that team is 3
My guess is that when you go 3+2v5, the remaining 2, will be over-ranked in order to compensate for being match 2+3v5... or worst, 1+1+3v5, those 2 should be super over-ranked if this is to make any sense

It's sort of hard to explain, but it's based on the largest party size on each team. So you're right, a duo could be pulled in alongside the party of 3 against a party of 5. I'm going to update my post, but I think something that's important to take away here is that the matchmaker still prioritizes match quality. That means it's going to make sure that 2 + 3 vs. 5 player game is the best match it can find.

However, you should see cases like 2+1+1+1 vs. 5 far less often.
Thank you for clarifying, Spyrian!

Given the gap and differences between party members, I would think that this may actually give better matches overall, too!
01/13/2016 05:45 PMPosted by Derphuntar
5v5 = yes
5v4/1 = solo player cannot be matched against 4 or 5 player party
5v3/2 = duo cannot be matched against 5
4/1v3/2 = yes
4/1v2/2/1 = solo cannot be matched against 4
4/1v3/1/1 = solo cannot be matched against 4
3/2v3/2 = yes
3/2v3/1/1 = yes
3/2v2/1/1/1 = yes
3/1/1v2/1/1/1 =yes
2/1/1/1v2/1/1/1 = yes
2/1/1/1v1/1/1/1/1 = yes
1/1/1/1/1v1/1/1/1/1 = yes

did I get that right?

Seems legit.

Honestly, I'm fine with those rules. The imbalances started to get drastic once you hit parties of 4 or 5.

Below that, there wasn't really a noticeable difference.
I feel like 3 stacks are the redheaded step children getting shafted... can't do HL, and just big enough to get stomped by 5stacks... yay!

Not fun.
Awesome instead of 7 minute ques we're going to get 15 minute ques.