Upcoming Balance Changes -- March 1, 2016

General Discussion
1 2 3 15 Next
We are planning to release a new patch for Heroes of the Storm next week on Tuesday, March 1. In addition to the game content this patch will contain, it will also include a few balance changes for Nova and Rehgar. Check out the upcoming adjustments and developer comments below:

Nova
Snipe (Q)
  • Damage increased from 295 (+4% per level) to 310 (+4% per level)
  • Snipe Master (Talent)
    • Damage bonus per stack increased from 12% to 15%. This effect can still stack up to 5 times

Developer Comment: We are continuing to tune Snipe Master to make it a more attractive choice, assuming you are consistently landing your Snipes.

Rehgar
Lightning Shield (W)
  • Electric Charge (Talent)
    • Bonus to Lightning Shield radius decreased from 33% to 25%
    • Stormcaller (Talent)
      • No longer increases Lightning Shield duration
    • Earthshield (Talent)
      • Shield amount reduced from 15% to 12% of the target’s maximum Health
Ancestral Healing (R)
  • Cooldown increased from 80 to 100 seconds
Bloodlust (R)
  • Mana cost reduced from 125 to 75

Developer Comment: The initial round of Rehgar nerfs weren’t quite enough to bring his winrate down to a level that we think is healthy. We like that his base kit feels powerful, so we are aiming to reduce the synergy between his Lightning Shield Talents. We are also increasing Ancestral Healing’s cooldown to better reflect the healing power it brings to a teamfight. The Bloodlust Mana change is simply a quality of life improvement. Overall, we enjoy how Rehgar plays right now, and are excited to see him bring other Heroes, such as Illidan, back into prominence. With that in mind, we’re aiming to cautiously nerf Rehgar over time as we bring this Shaman in line with other Healers.
Good job Blizzard. Nice to see Nova buffs. Also I would like to ask if there are any plans for making Nova's holo decoy A.I. better so it can really confuse an enemy or do something like fake damage that makes it look for a moment that you lost hp while you actually didn't.
Adjusting Nova's numbers aren't going to fix her problems...
While I like the patch, is this a preview, or is that all we'll get?

Is there to expect any rework?

EDIT : I like though the changes. Not thinking upgrading Nova's damage will help her. Her utility out of teamfight still sucks. Though Rehgar's changes are welcomed.

EDIT 2 : Just noticed the Stormcaller change. I think that and only that should be reverted. Rehg's healing is way too good right now so the nerf is welcomed, but Stormcaller's change just kills the Lightning Shield build. Please revert it.
Highly Rated
At this point, I'd much prefer the old rehgar back. Classic blizzard, buffing something to hell then nerfing it back to hell, making it worse in design (and often power level) than the initial iteration.

I can only refer to the zerg infestor buff/nerf path from SC2; fungal starting off as a long ensnare with little dmg (good design), then buffed to ridiculous dmg and low ensnare, then dmg nerfed so it's meh dmg and meh ensnare.

I don't understand why blizzard does this. Right now, lightning shield feels really tepid if you don't take the talents, whereas before you could go a chain heal build with rehgar and still have an OK lightning shield. Now the healing talents are mostly removed, with a kit that's less interesting. Now you simply cannot go reduced chain heal cost AND improved wolf regen. AND a 100 second cooldown on a heal pretty much pushes it out of the game in favor of lust, which still isn't a good heroic.

Seems to be a bit of a common theme with talents these days to have multiple levels wherein there's insane talent competition, as well as multiple levels wherein there's nothing all that attractive.

Not saying rehgar is bad now, by any means, just don't see the design choices having improved with the buff-nerf bonanza we've been getting.

EDIT: I am also a bit mystified as to why we're increasing the CDs on heroics so much instead of nerfing the power level and keeping low CDs. low cooldowns make the game more fun to play, it's just a fact. Do not understand the design choices as of late~
Rexxar: Throwing Axe Talent, increased range by 25%. Rexxar's range is soooo low, that he has to right in kill range for 21/48 heroes if he wants to attack anything. This talent is almost useless. If it was a 50% buff, then maybe Rexxar could properly poke since that will be enough to boost his range to Base-Raynor levels. but... the other issue is Rexxar Auto-attack animation speeds. If there's ANY change Rexxar needs, it's the Lunara treatment. Boost his animation speeds and maybe there's a chance he won't be the least popular hero in the game. He's a magnet for dives, as it stands
02/25/2016 10:24 AMPosted by Nintales

This appears to be the sum of the balance changes coinciding with the patch.

"In addition to the game content this patch will contain, it will also include a few balance changes for Nova and Rehgar."
Back to butchering rehgar, are we ...

EDIT: Also marvelous timing, I'm sure the participants in the European Regionals are very grateful for it.

EDIT : I like though the changes. Not thinking upgrading Nova's damage will help her. Her utility out of teamfight still sucks. Though Rehgar's changes are welcomed.

These are the only balance changes in the next patch.
Why are you focusing on Snipe master? It is a second rework of this talent and it will NOT help Nova anyway. You should consider other things about her like sustain in team fights (more HP, maybe even more regen) or her E ability (it should do some damage without talents so you can actually interrupt with it IMHO)

EDIT: I like these small changes, but i think you doing it in wrong way with Nova. I like Snipe now and i think it is good enough.
Aren't these Rehgar nerfs a little excessive? Nerfing shield build twice and ancestral?

But I have been happy with Blizz's balances recently. I believe!
02/25/2016 10:37 AMPosted by Spyrian

These are the only balance changes in the next patch.

The changes are coming at a quick pace and it's enjoyable. Hopefully you guys can keep up with 2 - 3 week content/balance changes between major patches. Even if the changes are/aren't what the community is looking for, this is a step in the right direction.
I think this will effectively kill the lighthing shield build for Rehgar. It's not worth taking with just a five second duration on lightning shield because that means Rising Storm gets very little value as well.

Totem + Chain Heal talents should still be good, I guess. A bit more boring, but still decent.
Highly Rated
Stop raising cool downs!

It's the single worst nerf you can put on heros.

When everything is on cool down all you have is people standing around maybe killing a few minions.

This is not good for this game and makes it less exciting and kind of boring to play and watch.

Nerfs = less fun.
Highly Rated
Can you guys please stop nerfing ultimates cooldowns? Please?
Ancestral healing should not have a 100 second CD.
So what was wrong with old Rehgar again?
Ok, i get it: Nova and Rhegod need changes for the same reason. But where is my Arthas talent tree rework ?
So you are just buffing damage on Nova? That won't fix her.. no real CC, no wave clear, no survivability...

Ya she'll still be garbage tier.
02/25/2016 10:28 AMPosted by hiStOrY
At this point, I'd much prefer the old rehgar back. Classic blizzard, buffing something to hell then nerfing it back to hell, making it worse in design (and often power level) than the initial iteration.

I can only refer to the zerg infestor buff/nerf path from SC2; fungal starting off as a long ensnare with little dmg (good design), then buffed to ridiculous dmg and low ensnare, then dmg nerfed so it's meh dmg and meh ensnare.

I don't understand why blizzard does this. Right now, lightning shield feels really tepid if you don't take the talents, whereas before you could go a chain heal build with rehgar and still have an OK lightning shield. Now the healing talents are mostly removed, with a kit that's less interesting. Now you simply cannot go reduced chain heal cost AND improved wolf regen. AND a 100 second cooldown on a heal pretty much pushes it out of the game in favor of lust, which still isn't a good heroic.

Seems to be a bit of a common theme with talents these days to have multiple levels wherein there's insane talent competition, as well as multiple levels wherein there's nothing all that attractive.

Not saying rehgar is bad now, by any means, just don't see the design choices having improved with the buff-nerf bonanza we've been getting.

EDIT: I am also a bit mystified as to why we're increasing the CDs on heroics so much instead of nerfing the power level and keeping low CDs. low cooldowns make the game more fun to play, it's just a fact. Do not understand the design choices as of late~

I sort of agree at this point. I would love to see the original Rehgar at this point where he was a healing duelist. If you are abandoning you original design of making Rehgar a more damage-centric offensive style support then buff his healing. First you redesign him then you nerf his feral lunge trait and LS base damage, then you nerf all the LS talents really does seem like the original rework wasnt much of a rework at all...

Just my opinion. Not saying Rehgar will be bad after these changes but I will not be building him the same for certain. Then perhaps a few months down the road he will be changed again to "address certain talents always being chosen over others"