Noobs keep throwing my games and magically stay in my rank????

General Discussion
I don't get it, I lose so many games to trolls and feeders, but somehow their awful playing doesn't drop their rank until I don't get matched with them anymore? Are they using some kind of witch magic to torture me specifically, a stellar player with their throwing ways? Why is life so cruel?

In case you don't get it, this is in response to all the 'preseason rank 1 players' who are stuck in 'mmr hell' because bad players keep throwing their matches. If those players really are so awful, they would lose ranks, and unless you are in the bottom of bronze, they should clear themselves out. Losing one game isn't the end of the world.
its rigged so you will never get away from them
06/17/2016 01:42 AMPosted by Kingwut117
I don't get it, I lose so many games to trolls and feeders, but somehow their awful playing doesn't drop their rank until I don't get matched with them anymore? Are they using some kind of witch magic to torture me specifically, a stellar player with their throwing ways? Why is life so cruel?

In case you don't get it, this is in response to all the 'preseason rank 1 players' who are stuck in 'mmr hell' because bad players keep throwing their matches. If those players really are so awful, they would lose ranks, and unless you are in the bottom of bronze, they should clear themselves out. Losing one game isn't the end of the world.

Its the matchmaking systems ultimate flaw: it applys the same gain/loos to the whole team, regardless of individual performance.
well i need to know if there is a magical way to stay bronze without losing. i just miss my 96 pct win rate.
06/17/2016 03:54 AMPosted by Fiesbert

Its the matchmaking systems ultimate flaw: it applys the same gain/loos to the whole team, regardless of individual performance.

This. If I go into a game and lose with 150k hero damage, 30 total kills, and 2 deaths next to another assassin who has 35k hero damage, 20 kills, and 10 deaths then I still get stuck losing just as much as they did even though I helped to carry the team and still lost.

You'd have to base it on overall stats some how though and not just xp, because a healer generally doesn't rank up the XP of a siege-r but can easily help to carry a team.

It's quite simple. They lose the games with you on their team, but as soon as you are not on their team, they start winning again, thus, you go down in rank, they stay at their rank.

You might want to think hard about what exactly is happening here but I have confidence that you will see....
if a team is filled with 3 or 4 really good players, and maybe 1 or 2 bad players, those good players could carry that game and win it. What happens to the good players and the bad players at the end? they both go up in rank. Its just that many people have good teams that carry them sometimes, its just how ranked is sometimes.
Dunning–Kruger effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled persons suffer illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately. Their research also suggests corollaries: highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]
06/17/2016 06:52 AMPosted by Zelf
Dunning–Kruger effect

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which relatively unskilled persons suffer illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately. Their research also suggests corollaries: highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]

OMG I've never seen this before! Are you Dunning or Kruger? You're very smart! ;P

Seriously though. You really do just have to try and compensate for players that feed too much and it's not easy. I myself can sometimes do it and sometimes can't.

I used to think I could carry bad players with a tank or support, but it's much easier with a good pusher or assassin. I've had decent luck with Thrall, Greymane, Xul, etc. You need a guy that doesn't rely on the team to do well. And rotate as much as you can for kills in the early game.

There's nothing you can do for an intentional feeder though.
Have you ever had a bad game? I'll answer that for you, you have. When you have had a bad game, guess what? For that game you were, in your teammate's eyes, the very person you're complaining about. They are your rank because they play just like you. They have bad games which they quickly try to forget while you make it your mission to tell everyone about it. The same way when you have a bad game you try to forget it as quickly as possible.

If you lose a lot of games to trolls and feeders, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that as many of your wins have trolls and feeders on the other team?
06/17/2016 07:32 AMPosted by Ettan

If you lose a lot of games to trolls and feeders, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that as many of your wins have trolls and feeders on the other team?

Most likely. That's why bronze games suck. Very rarely do you get good competition. Most are stomps one way or the other where I can just imagine some poor sap on the other team shaking his head and crying at what his teammates are doing.

Almost every game in which my team is stomping the other I make a point of telling my teammates that "this is stupid" and "games shouldn't be like this".

I know it's not necessarily because we played amazingly. Most of the time it's because we got lucky enough to have the players that don't suck all on one team and the other guys got the bad ones.
There's so much trash even in diamond. Just got a kharazim (not ghostpicking anything, and as last pick) who failed miserably with his seven sided-strikes.
One of our team has played the last two games with him, and begged him to pick divine palm. Guess what? Kharazim told us to pick it and get palm if we want palm.

If this is what diamond is, then hell, I am better than diamond.

This is absolutly whole problem of this game.
As far as I know the soft reset lasts for our first 50 matches. So in 50 matches, we will have enough disparity in w/l ratio to losers, trolls and feeders.

I hope so. My report finger is itching.