Haunted Mines

General Discussion
Highly dubious that they would ever say that or that you are accurately representing what was said.

Thanks, but I've been following HotS since March 2014. I know exactly what was said.

http://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-on-heroes-of-the-storm-you-havent-seen-anything-yet

PCG: How about maps?

DB: We’re good. We’re ready to go. We’re gonna keep adding more, definitely the rate of growth on maps is not gonna slow or stop until we say so. Until somebody tells us “dude, too many maps” or whatever. We’re adding them as frequently as we can, and we’re going to keep adding them as frequently as we can, even after launch.

The ability to build these battlegrounds comes from the fact that we can sit down and brainstorm an idea with one guy—like a guy on our team, Meng Song, who is this amazing technical game designer who worked on StarCraft for many many years—he comes over and he sits with us and says “Hey guys, we want to do a map that’s like a pirate ship and you collect coins, I don’t know...” So we brainstorm with him, and literally three days later we’re playing that map. It doesn’t look great yet, but you can playtest the gameplay and we can start tuning and polishing from there.

http://heroes.blizzplanet.com/blog/comments/pax-prime-2014-heroes-of-the-storm-interview

Mark Loftus: Hero rotation happens once a week at the moment. At some point there might be too many battlegrounds and maps. Any plans to rotate the available battlegrounds each week?

Dustin Browder: That wasn’t what we’re thinking. We were thinking more like seasonally. So we’re thinking more like once every three to four months we’d swap them out and then you’ll have a new set.

Reasonably, I'm not disappointed that we aren't rotating all our maps every 4 months, but Blizzard was definitely pushing that idea out there that we would always be getting new maps.

In contrast, taking over a year to fix a single map that already has its art assets and basic concepts hammered out seems beyond ridiculous.
06/03/2016 01:42 PMPosted by Vekkul
Thanks, but I've been following HotS since March 2014. I know exactly what was said.

But none of those quotes said what you said was said. You claimed that they said maps were fast and easy to get in. And also that the map pool would be different in a year.

They said they have an in-house (very poor looking) version of a map a few days after they settle on an idea, but that's a long ways from having a finished map. Some of them might not even see the light of day even after they are in that state. The original Diablo-themed map was either Battlefield of Eternity nor Infernal Shrines, for example. It just wasn't working out so they finished up BoE first and eventually put together Shrines for a 2nd one. Having a low quality, testable map within a few days doesn't mean that maps are fast/easy to get into the game.

As to having a different pool, rotating them seasonally was an idea that was floated. Obviously hasn't come to fruition yet, but it also wasn't trying to say that they'd have added so many maps from June 2015 to June 2016 that they would have to use completely different ones by then.

Blizzard was definitely pushing that idea out there that we would always be getting new maps.

And so we are. They just take time. They are working on more.

In contrast, taking over a year to fix a single map that already has its art assets and basic concepts hammered out seems beyond ridiculous.

Maybe if it was something that they started working on right away and was something that was a high priority. It wasn't and probably still isn't. Really though, we can't make any statements for sure about what they should or shouldn't be able to do because we just don't know enough concrete details to make any sort of judgment.
06/03/2016 01:16 PMPosted by XiChorn
Infernal Shrines on release did have two major bugs that they fixed as quickly as they could once they were identified. Mines was not something they could just quick fix a couple bugs, and it's all good.

Actually yea, they could. In exact the same way they fixed Infernal Shrines: Make the early objective weaker, make the skeletons stronger and scale in power. Fixed.
I guess I need to come to terms with the fact that Blizzard is slowly scrapping HotS, probably after understanding that it can't compete with LoL and Dota 2 or that MOBA genre is probably not worth committing to.

Everything has lately been so underwhelming, from its top pro team (MVP Black) contemplating leaving, to yesterday's ESL debacle, to this taking 1 year to fix a map, to lying about arena mode. I guess it all shows the plans of Blizzard for HotS.
What's this overwatch blame anyway? It's different genres, different teams, why would they correlate in any way?

The doom and gloom is hilarious. It's taking things out of perspective due to some weird need to feel like there is actually doom and gloom, to my eyes. "I'm unhappy with the game. Therefore everybody else needs to be too."

There's some legitimate concerns, but Haunted mines being delayed is not really one of them, at least not from the perspective of neglect. They obviously took it out not only because people found it a bit problematic but because they were getting a large map pool and that is not that desirable design. Everybody has their favourite maps, and if you almost never see them you'll probably get a bit cranky.

The only thing I'd like to see addressed is an in-game tournament draft improvement and indeed better tournament production. I don't know if it's possible to work with ESL or Dreamhack to improve their hosting, I just know it's been lacking especially with delays. Here's hoping today is better. :) Tournaments aren't everything but they do put the spotlight on Heroes, and popularity there in turn improves the health of the game further.
06/04/2016 01:36 AMPosted by liberate
I guess I need to come to terms with the fact that Blizzard is slowly scrapping HotS

There's no need to come to terms with something that isn't happening.

from its top pro team (MVP Black) contemplating leaving

Oh the horror. Someone else will just take their place. They are unimportant.

to this taking 1 year to fix a map

It's not a priority. There are plenty of maps. There are new ones on the way. Making significant and time consuming fixes to an old map just isn't important enough to devote a significant amount of their time to.

to lying about arena mode.

They never said it would be out imminently. It was just a preview. Previews at that stage also change. Nothing in that sort of preview is any sort of promise. No one lied about anything.

I guess it all shows the plans of Blizzard for HotS.

All it shows is you have a very twisted view of the realities of the situation(s).
The map is a 6 point 5. Please never bring it back ever
06/03/2016 01:33 PMPosted by NesTea
06/02/2016 04:33 PMPosted by Spyrian
We're definitely looking to rework Haunted Mines and bring it back into the Battleground pool, but the team is focused on other projects that have a higher priority right now. Haunted Mines will return, but it's unlikely to happen this year.
eg: Overwatch. Why not just scrap Heroes entirely. It's definitely not worth the money I put in it nor is it worth the time anymore. As of last week, it's not even worth the hard drive space.

lol. Blizzard has multiple teams.

The HoTS team is working on higher priority things such as ... dun dun dun

TWO Starcraft maps.

Look it up :D
Again a dribble of information on the forums..... sign. Wake up.
06/02/2016 01:26 PMPosted by Grevier
You people have no idea you're wishing for.
You're wishing for it now just because you're a kid without his ball.
Back in time, everyone was hating this snow-ball map, thati is why it is no longer here.
But of course, once a child doesn't have his toy anymore, he starts to willing it back.

Well, this will sound like a bull!@#$ extortion post, but it isn't supposed to be. I promise!

My group of friends and I played a lot of HotS from beta onwards. Haunted Mines was our favourite map. When the removed it we just stopped playing the game at all. I occasionally come by and check out whats new, but my friends never do. They are firmly back in the hands of LoL and DotA 2.
Keep all the maps, add back haunted mines when it is ready. The more maps the better.

If anything make the old garden terror back to what it was. It sucks now.
You can balance and fix this map with 20 lines of code. Have the alliance of the grave golem switch every turn. And have them turn around and walk the other way each time .

Seriously it's not that hard , this change will prolong the game 1 additional iteration in most cases and make pushing both lanes relevant. Stop wasting time, put a junior dev on this project it should take a week between writing and testing.
06/04/2016 01:13 PMPosted by Cris
06/02/2016 01:26 PMPosted by Grevier
You people have no idea you're wishing for.
You're wishing for it now just because you're a kid without his ball.
Back in time, everyone was hating this snow-ball map, thati is why it is no longer here.
But of course, once a child doesn't have his toy anymore, he starts to willing it back.

Well, this will sound like a bull!@#$ extortion post, but it isn't supposed to be. I promise!

My group of friends and I played a lot of HotS from beta onwards. Haunted Mines was our favourite map. When the removed it we just stopped playing the game at all. I occasionally come by and check out whats new, but my friends never do. They are firmly back in the hands of LoL and DotA 2.

Can't say it is my favorite, that spot will forever be held by Dragon Shire. But it was one of the better maps for sure, and by far the best for amazing surprise comebacks.
All it shows is you have a very twisted view of the realities of the situation(s).

Quite embarassing how delusional some peeps on official forums are.

Read and contemplate this: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/heroes/509877-interview-with-nostalie-on-the-state-of-china.

If still having any delusions, check how many people are watching HotS on Twitch when there is a qualifier to the official Blizzard tournament going on (it's 11k) and how many are watching LoL (261k).

IB4 viewcount doesn't matter.
06/03/2016 11:59 AMPosted by Salvaticus
06/02/2016 04:33 PMPosted by Spyrian
We're definitely looking to rework Haunted Mines and bring it back into the Battleground pool, but the team is focused on other projects that have a higher priority right now. Haunted Mines will return, but it's unlikely to happen this year.

What do the developers see as the central problem with the map? I understand that there are some distance issues and problems with games swinging too heavily in one direction or the other, but was it really so serious and widespread an issue?

when they introduced chogall and the scaling patch haunted mines got super broke.

The relative strength between heroes and towers/forts is all out of wack and I'm pretty sure games were consistently ending on the first golem or something like that.
06/04/2016 02:43 PMPosted by liberate
Quite embarassing how delusional some peeps on official forums are.

Yes, I agree. Your delusions are pretty embarrassing. Fortunately, it matters little to me that you are making yourself look foolish.

06/04/2016 01:34 PMPosted by edL
Seriously it's not that hard , this change will prolong the game 1 additional iteration in most cases and make pushing both lanes relevant. Stop wasting time, put a junior dev on this project it should take a week between writing and testing.

Well, since it is so easy, why don't you go apply at Blizzard, get hired and show them how easy it is.

06/04/2016 01:13 PMPosted by Cris
Haunted Mines was our favourite map. When the removed it we just stopped playing the game at all.

If you only played the game for one map, you weren't interested in the game anyway and would have come up with some other reason to stop. No reason to deny it.
Complain that it's out of rotation. Complain when it's in rotation. Complain that arena isn't out yet. Complain arena is unbalanced. Complain season one isn't out yet. Complain season one isn't balanced. Complain GoT is too snowbally. Complain it's not snowbally enough. Just let them work on it, they've done a pretty amazing job so far at designing this game to be fair.
06/02/2016 05:05 PMPosted by Matt

FeelsBadMan

more like FeelsGreat. Haunted Mines was, without a doubt, the WORST MAP EVER.
I ok with mines never coming back. The 'teleport' to the mines always screwed with a lot of mechanics, like getting a get out of jail free card vs Pyroblast. The 'run and gun' battle in the mines meant that Gazlowe was an almost immediate loss if you picked him. All other maps you can do fine with Gaz.
Majority of players didnt like Haunted Mines. It was removed for this reason. Even players that knew how to play it properly didnt like it - myself included. The state of maps is pretty good right now. I've been playing since Alpha.