I've lost nine QM games in a row as Medivh

General Discussion
I'm still really committed to succeeding with him, because he's pretty much the only reason I decided to pick up HotS again after my brief time in the alpha... but these past nine games have been so disheartening; people will just walk right past your portals, or run away from you when you're trying to shield them, or flame you when you accidentally Ley Line Seal the enemy they were right about to kill (obviously my fault, but sometimes it just happens).

I know Medivh isn't a solo queue kind of Hero, and that he does better with a coordinated team, but I'm still fairly new to the game (with some experience from League) and I have no friends to play with in HotS. So, if anyone has any tips for playing this guy in a group full of randoms, please let me know. Feel free to share what your experiences have been with him too, if you'd like.
Go for ten.
06/18/2016 08:45 PMPosted by Dhampir
Go for ten.

I'm on it, and I will let you know how it goes.

Edit: Perhaps unsurprisingly, it was another loss :(
What hero level are you at with him? Sometimes it takes getting to level 6 before I start to get the hang of a hero. Ley Line Seal is a lot like Bard's ultimate from League of Legends, so it looks like maybe you aren't an experienced Bard player. And about the portals, try showing off their power in front of your allies before they get into danger. If they see you jumping back and forth using the portals, they may get the idea that they could use those to travel.
06/18/2016 09:09 PMPosted by GreenRay
What hero level are you at with him? Sometimes it takes getting to level 6 before I start to get the hang of a hero. Ley Line Seal is a lot like Bard's ultimate from League of Legends, so it looks like maybe you aren't an experienced Bard player. And about the portals, try showing off their power in front of your allies before they get into danger. If they see you jumping back and forth using the portals, they may get the idea that they could use those to travel.

Just finished my tenth game and got to Level 6 with him right now; hope things will get better from here on out.

Bard is actually one of my favorite supports in League, although I'll admit he's not someone I've committed myself to master, nor am I particularly good at using his ult advantageously ;)

Thanks for the portal tip -- I've unintentionally done that in a few games and it does seem like people catch on to what its intended purpose is; I'll try it out a bit more, at least until the playerbase as a whole more or less gets up to speed with what Medivh's abilities actually do.
VERY HARD heroes usually take getting to level 10 before you really understand them. Part of the time of getting to level 10 is not necessarily for your skill to improve, but for the general community to understand how he works and how to interact with him. Part of it can also be you learning how to interact with people unwilling to interact with him.

That being said, I'm at around a 50% win/loss ratio with him. I've found the best way to play him is to focus on what I call "The Annoying Bird Build".

This is what I am using:
http://www.heroesfire.com/hots/talent-calculator/medivh#sIi4
I can't really give you any advice. I don't own him, and everything I can think of to do with him is still at that 'theory' stage.

Still, I encourage you to keep trying. He's a very new hero, no one really knows how to unlock his potential yet, and we may never know it if no one experiments, and that's going to take a lot of losses.

I do invite you to play with a friend though, that way you have at least one person to work off of, and if nothing else to serve as an example.
I encourage you to give up on medivh and change hero, play some easy !@#$ like raynor learn the basics of the game like positionning, trading, team fights..

I don't even know why this medivh hype I find him meh uninteresting outside of his "force of will" it was a good card in Magic so it reminds me of good memories but that's it it's a bearded ugly dude who summons portals and turns into a raven no thanks I'll keep my money Blizz.
It's possible it has nothing (or very little, at least) to do with Medivh. If you get stuck with teammates that make really poor choices, such as ignoring lanes being pushed by mercs (or even by heroes like Azmodan and Hammer), there's not much you can do about it as Medivh. Or your stealthies just ignore the enemy Chromie.

Then there's also getting teams where you outdamage Nova and Tracer as Medivh. All in all, playing during the weekend is torture anyway, but Medivh magnifies it quite a bit.

To sum up, don't play Medivh on weekends.
Thinking out loud:

With a hero like Medivh, that normally is more suited to coordinated play, in a solo-Q environment, you probably want to focus less on portal shenanigans and more on vision and/or damage from his Q. Providing vision of the enemy will be a lot easier to capitalize on than hoping people click on your portals.
So far I'm enjoying his gameplay and don't worry, after hero lvl 6 you'll start to catch up how to play him. Currently 21/30 wins and getting more people aware of my portals.
putting Portals is the key for medivhs success.

even if its a team fight. putting that portal provides a lot of diversion to the enemy.. most of them would split just to cover that portals
i played 11 games straight as medihv, i won 6. Of those six i went on a 5 game winning streak and it was ended due to match making.

great hero 10/10 would play again. (not in hero league though....maybe)
I freaking love Bard,, and Medivh does remind me a lot of him. Portals, a heal/shield (functionally similar, in a lot of ways, although the nuances are very different), line AOE, and stasis ult...that might be why I like him so much, even without much chance to play him.

But the main thing your Portal woes reminded me of is something else League players should be familiar with:

https://media.giphy.com/media/Lpl9KUXe3l1mw/giphy.gif