These Dehaka Changes have me concerned

General Discussion
Dehaka has been a hobby of mine ever since he came out. I've been in since Alpha, and have always said that he would have a wonderful kit. Blizzard absolutely delivered on an extremely high skill Warrior who can have a huge impact on games and I love playing him (especially on Dragon Shire, where I've got him at nearly 60% win rate). That being said, I think that the proposed changes are concerning for a few reasons, as they don't seem to take into account for what makes this Hero able to perform well. Here are my thoughts, please feel free to share yours as well.

Level 1 - Enduring Swarm (W), Primal Aggression (W)
It does not matter what they do to these talents, you will still have to always pick Enhanced Agility. You cannot play a Hero that is this focused on ambushing and being near to enemies without some sort of gap closer. Too many Heroes have escapes, speed buffs, etc that negate a slow Dehaka. I strongly believe Enhanced Agility needs to be baseline on his trait to allow for you to build him other ways. His remaining level 1 talents give him 3 great choices (Frontline Tank, Split Pusher, and Mage counter) that encourage diversity.

Level 7 - Essence Devourer (Trait)
I actually like the direction this is going, as it gives Dehaka a great way to get back stacks after a death to prepare for the next teamfight. Much like Butcher or Diablo, a Dehaka without stacks is much less of a threat. However, I don't think that increasing max stacks by 1 is nearly enough, especially considering that you don't get this talent until level 7. If you want to encourage people to pick this over Symbiosis, you'll need to change it to 2 stacks. Even then, Symbiosis may still be the go-to choice though, as it has too much synergy with Whilrling Dervish and he needs Dark Swarm up-time to do meaningful damage.

Level 10 - Adaptation (R)
I want to like this Ult, I really do. But I still don't see any reason I would want to take it over Isolation. My best solution is to have the healing automatically trigger upon taking fatal damage. That would make it a strategic ult to drop when going in at high health, and a great way to either blow your enemies cool-downs or force them to ignore you.

Level 16 - Rapid Regeneration (E)
This heal is just straight up not enough to be worthwhile. Even after the buff, you're looking at a heal of less than many Auto Attacks. I think the better route would be to change this talent to grant "Resistant' for a short duration upon exiting burrow. That would give Dehaka a short window to either escape or for his healing over time to bring him back up to healthy levels and would make it a strategic decision for better tanking vs better ganking via Elongated Tongue.

Level 20 - Apex Predator (Z)
This talent makes or breaks Dehaka, so I understand why it was nerfed. If he were buffed to be more consistently strong during the rest of the game, this talent should have less of an impact on his performance. As he currently is though, this talent has to be wildly powerful to offset his weakness during the mid game.
I disagree with several of your points.

1) I don't believe Enhanced Agility is mandatory. Quite the contrary, i almost never pick it now, even in double warrior compositions. I vastly prefer tissue regeneration, if solo tanking, and primal aggression if dual warrior. The changes at lvl 1 are good, primal agression will allow for more dps now, and Enduring Swarm can be a viable alternative vs mage comps.

2) Essence devourer changes are really good. I think i will give it a shot and i reserve judgement about it, since it is not a straighforward change. It seems it can be potent in certain situations, although Symbiosis is still my favourite

3) I absolutely agree about Adaptation. It is actually my feedback on Dehaka as well, IIRC i had made a post about it.

4) I think the rapid regeneration heal is fine. It is not supposed to save you from certain death. I like it mainly because it allows me to save my essence. When you trigger your trait, or Adaptation, you are blowing it all up. That minor heal with your E might give you some time, allow you to endure a little more. It adds up actually, don't underestimate it.

5) Apex predator nerf is important, but it won't change Dehaka's power level much. It is still strong, and unless the map is Dragon Sire, you probably won't notice much difference.

All in all, i think the changes are in the right direction. Nothing to be afraid about.
07/05/2016 03:07 PMPosted by TemplarGR
1) I don't believe Enhanced Agility is mandatory.
There's definitely a case for Tissue Regeneration, but I think a nearly 75% pick rate in Master/Diamond would suggest the majority of skilled players disagree. You need a way to be able to close on targeted Heroes (usually high mobility Assassins or Supports) and rotate while Brushstalker is on CD.

2) Essence devourer changes are really good. I think i will give it a shot and i reserve judgement about it, since it is not a straighforward change. It seems it can be potent in certain situations, although Symbiosis is still my favourite
Agreed. Could be good and at least make it a somewhat desirable choice. Still think Symbiosis will remain the most common choice, but there's at least room for another pick now.

4) I think the rapid regeneration heal is fine. It is not supposed to save you from certain death. I like it mainly because it allows me to save my essence. When you trigger your trait, or Adaptation, you are blowing it all up. That minor heal with your E might give you some time, allow you to endure a little more. It adds up actually, don't underestimate it.
I don't expect it to save you from certain death, but for a level 16 talent, I expect a little more heal than a single AA. It's mostly just meant to be a little extra burst heal so you can survive for your heal over time to kick in, and it's not enough for that. Granting Resistant upon popping back up though, that would be enough to make it attractive.

5) Apex predator nerf is important, but it won't change Dehaka's power level much. It is still strong, and unless the map is Dragon Sire, you probably won't notice much difference.
I think it was a little too strong, but needed to be because he was weak. If they tune up a few small areas, I think it'll be fine. As it is, it's a nerf to a key Talent on a Hero that isn't even above 50% win rate in Master/Diamond.