Account Suspensions for Non-Participation

General Discussion
1 2 3 9 Next
We’ve just issued a round of account suspensions for players who are frequently reported for AFK/Non-Participation or Intentionally Dying during their matches. This initial wave of suspensions was targeted at a handful of users who have received an extraordinary number of reports over the past 30 days and whose in-game performance data clearly indicates a consistent lack of contribution to their matches. While only a few players have been suspended in each region this time, we anticipate that the number of accounts suspended, or in extreme cases, banned, will increase with future waves as we continue to refine and improve our processes.

Going AFK, refusing to participate, and intentionally dying are behaviors that ruin the experience for everyone else in a match and undermine the spirit of competition that’s essential to Heroes of the Storm. Taking part in such actions will not be tolerated. We encourage you to use the relevant reporting options when you spot players doing these things in your games.
Highly Rated
Incoming "Why did I get banned, I never AFK in my games" posts.
Good to know.
I hope this resolves some issues posters have had regarding the fairness of punishments - as in only toxic chat was punished while afk/feeders were not.
Now there is no reason to complain, deserved bans all around! :-)
Glad to hear to it.
Thank the Gods
How do you separate bad players that can't help dying from good ones that die on purpose? I used to play non stop but couldn't always tell if there was motive.

AFK/non-participation reporting will be more widely misused than abusive chat, no small feat. There are many examples but an easy one to demonstrate is avoiding an objective at level 9 against a level 10 team. I don't have the data but I'd bet I've been reported over a hundred times for that alone. I hope your systems are up for the task or this will end up being just another way for players to exact revenge on one another.
This only encourages MORE false reporting.
It's worrying that nobody blue is talking about the current state of the reporting system.
Finally.
08/05/2016 11:26 AMPosted by synthetic
How do you separate bad players that can't help dying from good ones that die on purpose? I used to play non stop but couldn't always tell if there was motive.

AFK/non-participation reporting will be more widely misused than abusive chat, no small feat. There are many examples but an easy one to demonstrate is avoiding an objective at level 9 against a level 10 team. I don't have the data but I'd bet I've been reported over a hundred times for that alone. I hope your systems are up for the task or this will end up being just another way for players to exact revenge on one another.

all it would take is actually watching a few games that were reported to tell the difference between some one that is dieing on purpose/ not helping and one that is just a bad player.
The amount of negative votes to people happy about this chance PROVES how this forum is for some reason home to a disproportionate amount of toxic troll players.

It really doesn't reflect the reality of the playerbase. I don't know why or how this happened, but that's what it is. Toxic nest forum!

PS: AWESOME change! Down with the feeders/trolls!

PPS: Obviously they have fail safe systems and factor in deaths and match participation to limit possible abuse of the system. It's right there in OP!
Yeah baby... Swing that ban hammer, long overdue.
How do you separate bad players that can't help dying from good ones that die on purpose?

You don't, you just ban them from the game. Die 80x in each an every one of your games, no one cares the reasons why.
all it would take is actually watching a few games that were reported to tell the difference between some one that is dieing on purpose/ not helping and one that is just a bad player.

They are going to spend time watching entire games? People are having trouble getting chat logs in the appeal process for silences/hl bans.
They won't spend the time and effort reviewing these reports. Just like they don't with the silencing system.
08/05/2016 11:59 AMPosted by Firestarre
How do you separate bad players that can't help dying from good ones that die on purpose?

You don't, you just ban them from the game. Die 80x in each an every one of your games, no one cares the reasons why.

This is likely not the way it worked. If anything what they have done is quite inadequate. But good God did it take a long time for no good reason pertaining to significance of different report categories.

So, for the time being, we're focused on the most extreme cases. Imagine a player who spends 70+% of their in-game time dead, with 0 assists/kills, no siege damage dealt, XP earned, etc. Then imagine this player behaves this way in a large majority of their games. It starts to become pretty clear that this player is not only not helping their team, but not contributing elsewhere either.

Your example is a good one of players who might misuse reporting options because they disagree with the way you're playing the game, but it sounds like you're actively playing the game and their AFK/NP reports wouldn't result in any action against your account. You may avoid a Tribute fight at level 9 because it's not the right play at the moment, but you're probably also earning XP for your team, contributing to team fights, dealing damage, healing, etc. throughout each game you play.

For players who have received a large number of reports, we're not looking at just one data point/performance metric, or a single game. We're looking at many different stats across the player's match history and even comparing this information with data from a large pool of players to see how it measures up against those who do actively contribute to their games.

We've been pretty conservative with this suspension wave, and as mentioned above, we're working on improving our review and analysis methods so that we can confidently move forward with issuing larger numbers of penalties in the future for those who consistently create a negative play environment.
Which in essence means that players would still be able to get away with selective AFKing/non-participation/feeding, let alone non-participation in the form of not engaging in any fights but doing something or going around clearing waves... auto-attacking waves. But "abusive chat" counts in every instance, even when it doesn't exist.
People can and will still throw games. They will just have to be more subtle about it. Unless you plan on banning people for laning and hero picks as well?
I think this is finally a step in truly improving HoTS, especially on the Hero league end. A suggestion would be to widen the criteria and to issue temporary suspension. I believe this kind of behavior is so widespread because the actions against it were non existent/ not visible enough, I would imagine that suspending accounts in the same way as you do with silence could help. Issuing incremental suspensions that could be appealed would probably allow you to loosen up the criteria.

In any case, I really appreciate you started looking into this more carefully and taking action since HoTS is a great and fun to play game. I really appreciate the work you put into this.