Eliminate MVP Completely!

General Feedback
Keep the extra title awards, I suggested that long ago and it's nice to see various aspects of the game rewarded. HOWEVER, the MVP is not only biased to ranged heroes with melee warriors rarely winning since they often die the most while setting up the ranged's for a kill while staying alive more often, but it's also clearly based on an insufficient algorithm.
The voting is better, though 5 spots is not enough with so many categories that could be statted, but as long as it doesn't grant extra XP or gold, then big deal. It's interesting enough to see how others vote.
Well, I saw how others voted tonight, and one character got a gold mvp, though I don't know if that means extra XP on top of the 50% they get on a bad algorithm.
Had a game where our Zagara solo laned for the whole game. Ignored team requests for help. Just solo bot Lane the entire game. She was out damaged by me on Mura and our Malfurion... With all this pushing Zag claimed 1 fort total.

We won despite Zag, but Zagara was given MVP for highest siege damage and XP contribution. She won over our Kael who had 45% of the team's hero damage, top takedowns and he single handedly prevented a loss with an epic 4v1 defense at the core that allowed us to counter attack and win.

Kael got 8 MVP votes despite not being MVP. Zag got 1, from himself I assume...

The algorithm needs work. It's crazy for somebody who solos the entire game to win MVP over someone responsible for nearly every kill our team got and nearly 50% of the team's hero damage... Especially when the MVP gets voted and the false MVP gets non participation reports
09/26/2016 08:41 PMPosted by RockFoesbane
Keep the extra title awards, I suggested that long ago and it's nice to see various aspects of the game rewarded. HOWEVER, the MVP is not only biased to ranged heroes with melee warriors rarely winning since they often die the most while setting up the ranged's for a kill while staying alive more often, but it's also clearly based on an insufficient algorithm.
The voting is better, though 5 spots is not enough with so many categories that could be statted, but as long as it doesn't grant extra XP or gold, then big deal. It's interesting enough to see how others vote.

Its pretty fine.
Often had MVP with Muradin, Alarak, Rexxar, Zeratul and so on.
While I am pretty sure that the algorithm that chooses the MVP could be improved the basic idea is fine. Deaths decrease your chances to become MVP by a lot. But I already got MVP when I wasnt even #1 in any of the "normal" shown stats. So I just guess I had the least deaths (0) and OVERALL the most points at every data the system is gathering (which is probably everything you can get via achievements).

What does this mean ? This means that you can get MVP if you maximize your impact on the game while keeping your deaths as low as possible. And this is possible with every single heroe. Understanding this is the first step for less skilled players to understand how to maximize their impact.
No, tanks dont have to have the highest death counter. That is just not true. Tanks should soak the most damage but they should also survive fights since regging / healing is much faster than waiting for your heroe to respawn. So if you cant get MVP with tanks you are simply not playing them the right way yet and the MVP system is also telling you to adjust your playstyle. Instead of flaming the system you should take the advice that your personel playstyle isnt good yet.

Had a game where our Zagara solo laned for the whole game. Ignored team requests for help. Just solo bot Lane the entire game. She was out damaged by me on Mura and our Malfurion... With all this pushing Zag claimed 1 fort total.

We won despite Zag, but Zagara was given MVP for highest siege damage and XP contribution. She won over our Kael who had 45% of the team's hero damage, top takedowns and he single handedly prevented a loss with an epic 4v1 defense at the core that allowed us to counter attack and win.

Its pretty obvious that an algorithm based on stats cant decide its winner like a human could based on micro of a specific player in a specific 30 seconds 4vs1.

Zagara would have never ever gotten MVP if he would have died often. So Zagara probably didnt die or died much less than the rest of your team. Zagaras pushing power is also so extremely strong that the enemy needs to deff at her lane. This means that you end up in a fair 4vs4 scenario. You have to look at something like this in context. You cant just say "Zagara wasnt there" like she would be afk base. She either gets you buildings and therefore level advantage or forces 1-2 players to deff the lane which leads to fair or even better teamfights for your team.

Thats the typical split pusher problems with randoms at low leagues. You only see your missing teammate but somehow you are unwillingly to see that he forces 1-2 enemys to miss the team fight aswell.

Its pretty obvious that an algorithm based on stats cant decide its winner like a human could based on micro of a specific player in a specific 30 seconds 4vs1.

Zagara would have never ever gotten MVP if he would have died often. So Zagara probably didnt die or died much less than the rest of your team. Zagaras pushing power is also so extremely strong that the enemy needs to deff at her lane. This means that you end up in a fair 4vs4 scenario. You have to look at something like this in context. You cant just say "Zagara wasnt there" like she would be afk base. She either gets you buildings and therefore level advantage or forces 1-2 players to deff the lane which leads to fair or even better teamfights for your team.

Thats the typical split pusher problems with randoms at low leagues. You only see your missing teammate but somehow you are unwillingly to see that he forces 1-2 enemys to miss the team fight aswell.[/quote]

The problem was that she didn't push. She downed the one fort and pretty much spent the rest of the match clearing waves. She didn't even try to hit the keep. She had something like 7 deaths too... To be fair everybody else had at least 5, but she wasn't even the fewest deaths. I have seen good split pushing, this was not good, this was clearing minion waves bot lane for the whole game.
09/27/2016 08:28 PMPosted by RockFoesbane
Well, I saw how others voted tonight, and one character got a gold mvp, though I don't know if that means extra XP on top of the 50% they get on a bad algorithm.

It means nothing. The whole thing is pointless and unwanted. They just need to remove it, or at least give an option to skip it.
09/28/2016 06:04 AMPosted by Fiasco

Kael got 8 MVP votes despite not being MVP. Zag got 1, from himself I assume...

The algorithm needs work. It's crazy for somebody who solos the entire game to win MVP over someone responsible for nearly every kill our team got and nearly 50% of the team's hero damage... Especially when the MVP gets voted and the false MVP gets non participation reports

The only work this system needs is a DELETE.