Unpopular opinion: Cross promotions are worthless

General Discussion
11/16/2016 03:11 PMPosted by Morthion
11/16/2016 02:45 PMPosted by Tirigon
And grinding 15 Beginner AI games in 1 hour will change that? Doubtful.

Playing some AI games with my friends was how I was introduced to this game. Just because you don't happen to like vs AI doesn't mean others don't. I find it a fun way to relax.

Assuming that everybody else likes the exact same thing you do is perhaps worse than assuming that everybody else *should.*

Yea. But this grindfest ruins AI games. There's actually a lot of posts complaining about people flaming new players for actually PLAYING vs AI instead of rushing it in <3 minutes.

11/16/2016 03:58 PMPosted by NoxJS
They are actually achieving the opposite effect, ppl who never liked HOTS are playng it forcedly and now they even hate it.

Exactly.

11/16/2016 07:42 PMPosted by Morthion
So you believe that Tirigon was wrong to link a Reddit thread saying the cross promotion was bad?

Take a good, hard look at its upvote count....

11/16/2016 10:15 PMPosted by Runoth
Who? Just the people you pay attention to? Right then. Moving on...

If you're too stupid to look at Page 1 of this forum I can't help you. I see no less than 4 or 5 complain thread at once.

11/16/2016 10:15 PMPosted by Runoth
Fun fact: I just glanced at the HOTS sub-Reddit and saw 5 topics on the front page saying how much new players are enjoying HOTS after coming for the Genji skin.

I've already explained why Reddit doesn't count.
11/16/2016 11:45 PMPosted by Tirigon

No you silly man-child, reddit of course counts, and it completely disproves you idiotic ideas, what else to expect from a loser whose every idea is deemed completely stupid with -30 votes....
While I'm sure there have been plenty of garbage games stemming from being matched with OW players who don't know how to play HotS, I didn't really have any. There are plenty of awful, jerky HotS players, so it's not like OW players introduced a new level of poop to the game.

As for whether it's worth it for Blizzard...of course it is. Active cross-promotion is an extremely effective tool at buoying the support of a product, even if both are popular. Hell, I even saw it in action: in one game, I was playing with a guy who talked about how he had only really played HotS here and there, but played OW all the time. By the end of the game, he was talking about how he liked HotS a lot more than he had before and would probably start playing it again, because OW was getting stale.

That's precisely what they want. A way to encourage playing all of their games, whether to just get you playing more games in general, or to keep you from leaving their system altogether (which may have happened in this guy's case).

And I, for one, enjoy playing both games, so it's a win-win for me :)
Well for HotS veterans you're not seeing OW noobs in ranked anyway. If we're talking QM that's such an inherent crap shoot it's hard for me to even tell the difference enough to care.

On the positive side, maybe we will get some new players who stick with it and Blizzard will get some more HotS revenue.

As to OW players who are just running through A.Is and hating it, that's on them. Plenty are not going to like the game as a matter of taste anyway. If just one person stays then HotS wins.

Personally I only started HotS because of Diablo 3 cross promotion. Never would have even went near it since I was around when DotA was a new thing, made up my mind, and lumped all mobas into my 'don't care' category.
These AI grinds are GREAT for cross promotion. Although repetitive, they are hella fun and you feel like a GOD stomping those bots. instead of the lvl 3 noob you should feel like. Now personally, i have a couple hundred games under my belt but it still feels like a fun change of pace. maybe you're just a cranky pants.
11/16/2016 01:24 PMPosted by Tirigon
Just look at the current event. Everyone is just talking about how to grind AI games asap, about how they want to uninstall after getting the skin etc....
On the other hand you have the Heroes players who just want free heroes (not that you can blame them of course) and dont carte about Overwatch in the slightest.
And yes you have some people who play both. But do you need a promo event for them? They are ALREADY customers.

And all of this isn't surprising, really: Both Overwatch and Heroes are played through the same launcher, both their forums are entered via the same login screen.
Everyone who plays at least one Blizzard game knows about all the others. If we dont play them, it's because we dont WANT to, not because of lack of knowledge.

You want to increase the playerbase, find new customers? Focus on attracting people who don't play ANY Blizzard games yet, focus on making LoL / DotA / Smite players switch, don't advertise to customers who already know about your product. It's more annoying than anything else.

wow....how did you manage getting so many downvote in a sec??

congratulations.....a scum calling blizz worthless.

get out.
maybe you're just a cranky pants.

/thread.
Yea. But this grindfest ruins AI games. There's actually a lot of posts complaining about people flaming new players for actually PLAYING vs AI instead of rushing it in <3 minutes.

Is the contention that they'd somehow not be exposed to flaming if they were doing QM?

11/16/2016 07:42 PMPosted by Morthion
So you believe that Tirigon was wrong to link a Reddit thread saying the cross promotion was bad?

Take a good, hard look at its upvote count....

Yes, I believe that was my point. I was responding to a post that claimed that Reddit is useless as an indicator of opinion.
11/16/2016 01:24 PMPosted by Tirigon
don't advertise to customers who already know about your product.
They surely gather data from battlenet. They probably know X% of bnet users never even tried HotS and they want them to give it a shot.

I mean, using their own platform for advertising their game is surely cheap and easy, why wouldn't they do it ? They know they have an audience already. I'm sure attracting "outsiders" is much, much more difficult.
Of the 4 friends who had never touched hots that installed for genji, all 4 are sticking around because they like the game
11/17/2016 02:30 AMPosted by Jarek

No you silly man-child, reddit of course counts, and it completely disproves you idiotic ideas, what else to expect from a loser whose every idea is deemed completely stupid with -30 votes....
reddit is confirmed garbage.

Most content creators avoid it like the plague. It has very low participation, and is an echo chamber for delusional Metzen cult fanatics. These are people who would literally buy any crap with the Blizzard logo on it.
If you're too stupid to look at Page 1 of this forum I can't help you. I see no less than 4 or 5 complain thread at once.

That's funny. Apart from this one, the only other one I see specifically complaining about the Overwatch event is this:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20752335566

No surprise, it got downvoted to hell because it's a trash topic. Just like this one.
hearthstone is based off warcraft and heroes of the storm is partially off every blizzard game made. i did a play 30 game already have 4 heros they supposed to give and got nothing for them for my efforts.i wish they at least give me something instead of only concentration on newbies and work on making concurrent players happy.
11/17/2016 08:53 AMPosted by eggbreakfast
<span class="truncated">...</span>

reddit is confirmed garbage.

Most content creators avoid it like the plague. It has very low participation, and is an echo chamber for delusional Metzen cult fanatics. These are people who would literally buy any crap with the Blizzard logo on it.
As opposed to this forum community, which constantly raves about this "dead game" that is "worse than it's ever been", yet still bother to play it and whine in the forums?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Reddit's community is loads better than this one, sorry. At least I regularly see some degree of discussion there. If the forum moderators banned all the folks who spent their time whining and trolling, this community's opinion might be worth listening to. But as is? I can totally understand why the devs have abandoned this forum.
<span class="truncated">...</span>reddit is confirmed garbage.

As opposed to this forum community, which constantly raves about this "dead game" that is "worse than it's ever been", yet still bother to play it and whine in the forums?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Reddit's community is loads better than this one, sorry. At least I regularly see some degree of discussion there. If the forum moderators banned all the folks who spent their time whining and trolling, this community's opinion might be worth listening to. But as is? I can totally understand why the devs have abandoned this forum.

Redit is incomparable, idiots get moderated so fast you can hardly see any, while this forum is an incubation chamber for them
I think we can all agree that the community at large is a cesspool.
11/17/2016 02:30 AMPosted by Jarek

The amount of downvotes actually proves me right, as intelligent ideas are always downvoted on this forum. If I had gotten upvotes, then I'd actually be worried I might be wrong.

11/17/2016 01:00 PMPosted by CriticKitten

Dude, can you use your brain for a second? We love this game, we complain because it's heading in the wrong direction. If it didn't we wouldn't bother posting.
I mean, do you go to the doctor to tell him that you're healthy - or do you go when you're sick?
11/16/2016 10:32 PMPosted by Werblings
honestly they should have not let you get the skin promotion in VS AI. people who are grinding AI are not actually doing anything, I watched a few OW streamers that were saying how boring and crappy the game was playing vs AI, yet wouldn't step up and play even QM.

Were they even playing Elite difficulty? Beginner is kind of "boring" as the AI stand around doing nothing and purposely focus minions over heroes.

One can only rush Beginner AI due to the AI purposely ignoring heroes in most circumstances. Elite AI cannot be rushed, especially if they have heroes which the AI plays decently.

To achieve <3 minutes in Vs AI Beginner one needs a well coordinated team of heroes that can focus down the core. The core is too powerful so early on to be taken down by most heroes. Otherwise the average for Vs AI Beginner is 4-5 minutes depending on the map as the boss only spawns at 3 minutes and some have slow objectives.
11/17/2016 04:57 PMPosted by Tirigon
Dude, can you use your brain for a second? We love this game, we complain because it's heading in the wrong direction. If it didn't we wouldn't bother posting.
rofl

No you don't. There are tons of posts in this forum calling this a "ded gaem", heck, I found three by glancing over the front page alone.

This forum is a cesspool filled with players who have nothing better to do than complain. The Reddit community has, in fact, complained about things, rather vocally in fact (they beat this forum to the "Samuro OP" complaint by a few days for example). Having experienced both this community and the Reddit one, it's very clear which one is worth listening to.

Not to mention, y'all need to learn what "constructive criticism" is. You will never persuade anyone of your argument if all you do is talk about how awful things are and accuse the devs of being greedy thieves.

I mean, do you go to the doctor to tell him that you're healthy - or do you go when you're sick?
Technically both. You're supposed to get yearly physicals in the US so that you can avoid potential long-term problems that might crop up down the road.