Weird Stuttering Lag?

Technical Support
1 2 3 19 Next
Highly Rated
My game feels very clunky and stuttery even though my pings is <20 and my fps hitting the 120. I don't understand what causes it, but most other games I play do not suffer from this issue (e.g. League Of Legends I have everything on ultra and it runs smooth). Is it something with my Nvidea drivers? They usually have a lot of settings available and maybe that is causing it?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Anyone ):
I'm experiencing the same issue today as well. Have been running heroes of the storm on ultra for a year with 0 problems. Now it won't even run on lowest settings without constant stuttering (these are not reflected in FPS or ping.. the game simply intermittently freezes for about a quarter of a second)

The interesting part is that the same stuttering issues repro in the exact same manner in starcraft 2 (which i have been running issue free for 6 years).

I'm guessing it's something related to the latest windows 10 updates.

This occurs despite having updated my video drivers, disabled one drive, disabled xbox DVR, running the 32 bit client and various other attempts.
Damn. Thx for the feedback though!
01/14/2017 02:27 AMPosted by Kashll
I'm experiencing the same issue today as well. Have been running heroes of the storm on ultra for a year with 0 problems. Now it won't even run on lowest settings without constant stuttering (these are not reflected in FPS or ping.. the game simply intermittently freezes for about a quarter of a second)

The interesting part is that the same stuttering issues repro in the exact same manner in starcraft 2 (which i have been running issue free for 6 years).

I'm guessing it's something related to the latest windows 10 updates.

This occurs despite having updated my video drivers, disabled one drive, disabled xbox DVR, running the 32 bit client and various other attempts.

Sounds like my problem as well...I could never play on Ultra, but I played on High without problem...now - horror!
I had the exact same problem, I don't know what fixed it, but I deleted the tool thingy for bnet (was on a previous post) didn't help, checked for bugs on hots, uninstalled and reinstalled, and restarted my comp. None worked, so I went to sleep and in the morn all was fine again. Don't know if it helps, but maybe it isn't permanent?
Hey Dainank,

Stuttering can be caused by a couple of different things actually. The two biggest factors that cause stuttering in Heroes of the Storm are going to be poor CPU performance and an unstable internet connection.

- Try setting your power management to high performance in Windows

- Check the temperatures of your CPU to ensure it is not overheating

- Run a pathping or WinMTR (instructions below) test to look for packet loss which could indicate an unstable connection. If you're using wireless try switching to a wired connection.

1. Download WinMTR
2. Right-click on the downloaded .zip folder and select "Extract All", to extract the files to a new folder.
3. Open the new folder that was created, then open the WinMTR folder that corresponds to your Windows OS. x64 for 64-bit or x32 for 32-bit.
4. Right-click on the WinMTR application and select "Run as administrator".
5. Launch the game and join a match. When loaded in to the match press Ctrl+Alt+F to bring up the performance stats in the upper-left and note the server you are connected to.
6. Quickly alt+tab out of the game and type the IP address you want to trace in the "Host" field. IP addresses for all of the Heroes of the Storm servers can be found on this page
7. Allow the test to run for the full duration of the match. Click on "Stop" when you’re done playing.
8. Click on "Export TEXT" to save the results as a text document, then post the results.

Hope this helps!
I have been experiencing the same problem all of the sudden too just now i was disconnected from the game even i will try the instructions from above when i get out of game next
The blue post is useless information. They will give you everywork around in the book and it wont change anything. The game is litteraly a lag fest. I have been through the process before it was over a long period of time as I have seen many others and thousands of posts with no fix. No point posting ping or anything. Its a deal with it or uninstall situation. I haven't played in months because of this same issue. Its their servers, Their game engine. You will notice that you don't get this in any other game as you have stated in your post.
01/16/2017 07:27 AMPosted by batdan
The blue post is useless information. They will give you everywork around in the book and it wont change anything. The game is litteraly a lag fest. I have been through the process before it was over a long period of time as I have seen many others and thousands of posts with no fix. No point posting ping or anything. Its a deal with it or uninstall situation. I haven't played in months because of this same issue. Its their servers, Their game engine. You will notice that you don't get this in any other game as you have stated in your post.

Yea the workarounds never seem to work and it seems they never accept responsibility for the problems which seem to plague countless users and are unique to HOTS. Wonder why?
Yeah I've noticed the game has been feeling clunky as of late and the countdown stops at 3 and isn't a smooth translation. Blizzard accept the fact it isn't us and fix the problem please. It's very annoying while in game the controls used to feel smooth, but now it feels kind of unresponsive it's small, but I am pretty sure everyone is noticing it.
Mine is also stuttering. I did what Jambrix had advised.

Here are my results:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

| WinMTR statistics |

| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

| cellspot.router - 0 | 872 | 872 | 0 | 0 | 3 | 0 |

| 10.37.90.1 - 0 | 873 | 873 | 5 | 10 | 58 | 16 |

| 70.183.68.184 - 0 | 873 | 873 | 6 | 11 | 51 | 16 |

| 70.183.71.104 - 1 | 868 | 867 | 13 | 19 | 63 | 23 |

| dalsbprj01-ae1.0.rd.dl.cox.net - 1 | 862 | 859 | 24 | 30 | 68 | 25 |

| 70.191.61.14 - 1 | 865 | 863 | 25 | 29 | 75 | 35 |

| 37.244.6.33 - 0 | 872 | 872 | 61 | 67 | 113 | 63 |

| 24.105.31.38 - 0 | 872 | 872 | 44 | 49 | 89 | 54 |

| 24.105.62.129 - 1 | 858 | 854 | 45 | 49 | 94 | 45 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
Just to bump the thread and get a solution sooner rather than later:

I too am experiencing completely un-explainable stuttering and freezing (the worst it has ever been).

No latency icon shows up, no packet-loss icon shows up. I have perfect ping and frame-rate.

Sometimes it's a random freeze for 2-5 seconds, but it can occur both sporadically and consistently. Other times my game completely locks-up except for the music playing in the background; the only way to fix it is to ctrl-alt-delete and WAIT 3 minutes for task manager to open - because apparently these HoTS crashes create extreme performance issues on my end. Processor over-usage, perhaps a memory leak.

What I will say: Is that I have actually always ran into similar hots problem. Doesn't seem to matter what machine I am on, there have always been these weird stutters, crashes, un-explainable performance issues. The difference between then and now is that, in the past, the frequency of these issues didn't have a significant impact on my play (don't get me wrong, my mmr is still a tier off because of such issues). HOWEVER, as of recently these issues have become overwhelming (I can't pinpoint the time-frame because I just moved into a new building, perhaps the last 2 weeks or so). These problems are resulting in deserter buff, lost ranked games, and general anxiety as I frantically try to reconnect (a reconnect system which has a number of glitches and bugs itself, and often fails); waiting for task manager to open, restarting the program, sometimes restarting the pc, often a hard reset by holding down the power button. Losing ranked because it takes me 3 minutes to reconnect after a 8 minute full restart.

TLDR: Forget HoTS 2.0. Start fixing these ambiguous performance problems that have been plaguing this game since day one, and which have gotten 30x worse in the last month or so. Every other game I own is running absolutely flawlessly. Even Batman. Considering the attention this is getting recently, I FULLY EXPECT A HOTFIX ASAP. There is no reason this game should't be getting 60FPS on potato machines with RELIABLE PERFORMANCE.
Game has always ran fine until the mech-muradin update. Then I had random fps drops down to 5fps...
game ran fine after the following update.

Now since yesterdays patch (the one following the Probius patch) game runs like utter dog!@#$ again, with random drops all over the place.

I't snot a win10 issue as I'm no windows 7 64 and it's doing the same thing as you guys are describing. It's something in the update that's screwing it up and we'll probably just have to wait until the next update to 'fix" it again hopefully like it did last time.
i have the same problem with the last patch and with 2.0
never had before
Having the same problem as well. Almost unplayable in any actual competitive mode. On to a new game I guess. Followed all the blue posts recommendations and nothing.
Looking over many similar cases, there's never been a good fix.

-dx9 works for some, turning sound quality down works for some, and then there are outlandish ones like turning off some background tasks you have running.

The only one I've found that works, and it makes me genuinely sad to say, is that you either put up with it or uninstall. Blizzard doesn't care enough to try to fix it.
I've been getting this for weeks too, maybe a couple of months. Sometimes I can play for 5-10 minutes without getting any stuttering and other times it happens from the start of the match. FPS generally seems to be fine and I don't think it's my internet connection. Haven't played the 2.0 beta so it's nothing to do with that.

Haven't noticed it so much in other games, just HOTS, SC2 (SC2 to a lesser extent) and even weirdly a bit in Hearthstone which is weird as you'd think it wasn't as resource heavy. HOTS is the worst culprit by far though. I've disabled Xbox Game DVR since the Windows 10 Creator's Update (was getting it before the Creator's Update though) but that's all I've changed on my computer in over half a year.
04/17/2017 06:17 AMPosted by PlayWithFire
I've been getting this for weeks too, maybe a couple of months. Sometimes I can play for 5-10 minutes without getting any stuttering and other times it happens from the start of the match. FPS generally seems to be fine and I don't think it's my internet connection.

Run the network diagnostics from the sticky and post the results, possibly in your own thread. Instead of guessing if its internet connection related or not, it is better to prove it with the tools.

It is possible certain backbone nodes between you and the Blizzard servers are congested resulting in sporadic latency spikes. This seems a fairly common problem.
tldr;
For anyone who still has a similar issue and has a Nvidia card uninstall Geforce experience and reboot.

I was having random fps drops from 300 to zero while the game progressed making it seem like everything was freezing for 3-5 seconds. I tried everything under the sun to figure out the stuttering since it was happening in local (hero trial) as well and seemingly not network related.

Now, I can play most games in high / ultra on my PC so I didn't think it was related to performance. My temp on the cpu and gpu where fine and utilization wasn't high when the drops happened. I ran across a random blue post suggesting to remove the Geforce experience app, after I did this my frame drops stopped completely even in full screen and high settings.

Hopefully this helps someone else with the same problem. I know I was beating my head against this issue for a bit.