Introducing the New Game Director for Heroes of the Storm

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
Working at Blizzard is the coolest. Our leaders support us in making the most awesome games I have ever played. We are encouraged to take the time we need to make them awesome, and then to keep improving them for years after they go live. We sometimes get exciting chances to work on other projects, too. I’m going to take one of those chances to try something new at Blizzard.

This was not an easy choice to make. I still play Heroes five nights a week, and sitting in the bullpen surrounded by this team has been the most intensely creative experience of my career. But one thing that’s making this decision easier is knowing the future of Heroes is in the right hands.

Over the last few months, I have been transitioning my responsibilities to Alan Dabiri, a 20-year Blizzard veteran and a fellow Heroes of the Storm fanatic. In fact, since StarCraft entered the Nexus in September, the Heroes team has been releasing some of our best content to date all without my daily involvement and I’ve been thoroughly blown away with what they have delivered. For those who haven’t seen him on BlizzCon panels or doing interviews, Alan has had a hand in nearly every aspect of Heroes since the beginning, both in his role as our technical director and as part of the team’s collaborative development process. Alan is also a passionate member of the community, and he’s always in touch with what’s happening on Reddit, in our forums, and wherever you’re talking about Heroes. He’s been relentlessly working to make Heroes better for years, and I’m excited that he’ll be continuing to push the game forward as game director.

The Heroes of the Storm team is one of the best game teams I have ever had the honor of serving on. I cannot believe how much work and love went into turning what started as a tiny mod into the epic experience that it has become today. And the team just continues to pour their passion, dedication, and expertise into patches, updates, and awesome new game features. 2017 is going to be a huge year for Heroes of the Storm, with new Heroes, Battlegrounds, a massive progression update, improvements to our ladder and matchmaking systems, new social systems, new Brawls, and more.

I would like to say a special “Thank You” to everyone in the Heroes community who continues to support us and challenge us to make Heroes better, including everyone who has shared feedback with us on our forums, Reddit, esports sites, and strategy sites, and anyone who has ever sent me a Tweet. You’re the best, and your dedication and passion has made being part of the Heroes community and working on this game a blast.

While my day-to-day responsibilities might take me away from working on Heroes, I can guarantee I’ll always be watching Heroes esports, cheering on Alan and the dev team, and geeking out about the game. And if you’re looking for me, you can find me playing Ranged Assassin or Support in the Nexus.

- Dustin Browder
Highly Rated
Gonna miss ya, DBro.
Thank you Dustin
All the best!
All the best! Thanks for your dedication. Excited to see what the future has in store.
Thanks for everything you've done for Heroes and SC2 Dustin. Excited to see what you do next!
A new project? Sounds fun! Keep doing your best to make awesome games!
Was great having you, Dustin!
Thanks for all you've done on Heroes! o/
Good luck on your future endeavors.
WC4 CONFIRMED?
Keep going DBro, welcome Alan! <3
Thank you Dstin, you always were the light that shined when Heroes seemed to be abandoned up, answering our call.
Good luck on your new project bud!
Thanks for all your hard work Dustin. Best of luck on your new project! When things get tough remember....Z to mount up!
The unannounced Blizzard project got a whole lot more interesting.

Thanks Dustin for all the community engagement over the years. The game is in an awesome place now and is being left in very capable hands. Do us proud!
You can't leave yet, HotS doesn't have Destructible Rocks!
I hope you have just as much fun, if not more, with your next project! You are one of the most approachable developers there, hope you keep the lines open. :)
I like the sounds of a new project, but part of me is like NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! <3
''En Taro Dustin Bowder!''
Aw man, what a bummer to lose you! Your genuine enthusiasm and evident passion did a lot to promote confidence and positive outlook for the game, it's a damn shame to see you leave this project of yours behind.

Good luck on whatever comes next! Thank you, for everything.

To the new director: A question, and a plea. Where is Kel'Thu-freaking-zad?! Do not turn my favourite Blizzard character into a support, and all shall be well... FOREVER! But... If you do... I will FREEZE THE BLOOD IN YOUR VEINS!

Side-note to Dustin and Alan, I'm a dedicated fan since the alpha and way beyond. Besides playing the game and supporting it monetarily, I would also like to contribute in a different capacity - by pitching you this!
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20752125701?page=1
If your new project is anything as good as HotS or SC2 then I'll be hype from announcement to release. I've gotta feel for Alan, though... Those are some impressively large shoes to fill.

Maybe he'll be open to letting Deathwing into his heart and the Nexus.
Thank you, Dustin. You've helped turn the game around and led it toward the right direction. This is the only game I play now, and I couldn't be happier about that.

To the new director: Please follow what you feel is best for the players, and be patient with us. It will pay off in the future.

Thank you.