Thrall's earthquake

General Discussion
What changed? Why is everyone using it now.. even without Raynor? Still not as good as sundering IMO.
They buffed it and nerfed Sundering (again). See these patch notes from the Varian release patch:
http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20372990#Thrall

Text:
Here are the notes:
Thrall

Abilities

Earthquake (R)
Added functionality:
Now deals 50 damage to Heroes with each pulse (will now trigger Frostwolf Resilience)
Sundering (R)
Stun duration reduced from 1.25 to 1 seconds

Developer Comments: We have mentioned before that sometimes we will stubbornly hold on making balance changes to some Heroic abilities because we believe they are actually very powerful in their current form, even if they are not currently seeing much play. This has been the case with Earthquake, but Sunder has consistently been the go-to pick since Thrall’s inception. We hope this change will help shake up the pick rates of Thrall’s Heroic abilities.
It was always pretty good, just Sunder was generally better. Sunder just got nerfed pretty hard, and they made EQ do damage so that it procs his trait and he gets massive healing.
The area is massive and it synergizes so well with so many other heroic abilities because it makes them easier to land. Landing mosh pits, apocalypse, ring of frost, Kerrigan combo, furnace blast, or keeping people in range for executioner AA attacks, starfall, or phoenix is all easier inside that massive slow zone. It now also heals via Thrall's trait.

You would still want to take Sundering in some situations, say you need an interrupt for mosh pit or jugs, but a 70% slow for 3 pulses in 10 seconds provides more utility than a 1 second stun does and it's on a much shorter cooldown.
The short summary is Earthquake got massively buffed from the damage healing procs, Sundering got hit with another stun nerf. Yes apparently the .25 seconds mattered for what's left on this knockback wave with the tweaks implemented on Thrall.
Well, in addition to what everyone has said already I just want to add that Earthquake has always been better anyways, people were just too stupid to realize it.
The buff made them try it out and realize that, holy sh!t, instead of killing 1 person every 80 seconds you can win a teamfight every 60, and it even takes less skill to use!
E q is way better a t m lol at anyone who chooses an ult that has a 120 sec cd.
The CD on EQ is so broken. 60 secs? Needs to be 100 secs.
Earthquake now trigger Thrall's heal gives him massive sustain potential. We've also moved back towards a more aoe-cc combo meta, and having a massive 10 slow zone is incredibly powerful for setups.

Thrall's Earthquake just about assures Diablo's Apacolypse will hit, which guarantees the next aoe will land, while Rhegar's Bloodlust let's them dive in hard. That sort of thing.
It's like Ring of Frost for it's team kill potential, it's maybe the best escape in the game combined with a quick pop of windfury in a pinch, and now it heals him too. God tier.
Earthquake was always good. Problem was, Sundering was almost always better. Since Earthquake now procs Frostwolves, it became a viable pick. Meta pick? Yay.
Because Blizzard likes to 'balance' ults by nerfing the popular one and buffing the unpopular one until people start using the unpopular one.

Even if the unpopular ult was already good in the first place.
12/29/2016 11:21 PMPosted by Cenerae
Because Blizzard likes to 'balance' ults by nerfing the popular one and buffing the unpopular one until people start using the unpopular one.

Even if the unpopular ult was already good in the first place.

This.

You people never listen to me, but some of us know the truth. Blz has learned that the community at every skill level is so tolerant of any kind of change that they don't even have to use effort to balance something, they literally wing it and wait for the people to decide on the result. Almost every game I have played with Thrall, I picked Earthquake. It was so good in the first place, the only time I picked Sundering was if I needed to knock people off an area capture like on Braxis.

In addition to what Earthquake does now, its synergy with Hyperion and Starfall especially have made it completely broken.

We will have to live with it, because not enough people complain. They will change it when they decide it is profitable to change it. Until then, suck it up and ban Thrall.
Earthquake was always stronger, honestly. But the reason WHY it was stronger was not especially popular. Why take the teamfight utility (setup/engage/disengage) ultimate when you can take the "punch them in the face and stun them" ult?

The reason why everyone and their grandmother is now picking Earthquake is the QoL tweak that is the fact that it does damage, allowing it to proc his passive.
It was always good, but ppl didn't realize it.

The newest changes though made it even better:

1. Its damage procs Frostwolf resilience now and in a full teamfight Thrall can be very aggressive because he heals like crazy.

2. It breaks channelling like capping a tower or grabbing a tribute.
Completely agree that EQ was always good and underpicked but unfortunately it suffered from the classic MOBA 'meta' mentality. People would most likely tilt if you picked it over Sundering and it would almost certainly be your fault if the game started going south for your team. A year ago this would have been true of Stage Dive on ETC too. The way this game in particular works means it's usually always better to just avoid children on your team tilting. There are plenty of examples of this throughout the game, including hero picks themselves. Solo support Tassadar in an AA-heavy team? Comfortably kept up with the 'healing' of the enemy support? Still my fault if we lose purely because I picked Tassadar.

There are some things that are just not worth picking until the meta gods dictate that you may
was always my preferred heroic and i'm glad it's not being shunned
12/30/2016 01:01 AMPosted by LDB
There are plenty of examples of this throughout the game, including hero picks themselves. Solo support Tassadar in an AA-heavy team? Comfortably kept up with the 'healing' of the enemy support? Still my fault if we lose purely because I picked Tassadar.

I had a Thrall complain about me picking Murky one game. I had more siege, hero damage, soak, had more kills AND assists, AND had less deaths (I think it was 1.25 deaths as Murky to his 6 or 7), and he and his duo said at end of game, Murky's fault.