Quick Match Queue Time Improvements

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
You may have noticed that Quick Match queues have been quicker than ever recently, and you'd be correct! We've made a number of adjustments in order to improve the matchmaking algorithm to decrease the queue times without sacrificing game quality.

In general, queue times have been reduced by about 50-75%, depending on hero and region. In general, the newest or most popular heroes will still see longer queue times, but even those should be shorter than they would have been (which some players noticed during Lúcio's release, as this change went live just after that patch).

The matchmaker was previously using a rule that would only apply to extreme cases, but these rules were actually being applied to all players, increasing queue time. By lifting these restrictions for most players, we were able to decrease queue times without affecting the quality of matches made.

Here's what changed:
Previously, the matchmaker would "hold" players from getting a match until the players who had been waiting longest found a game. With some careful testing, it was determined that players in normal skill ranges were able to easily find a game without having to hold others. These players will now be released and able to quickly find another match that suits them.

As always, we're continuing to monitor matchmaking feedback and make adjustments. We're planning more improvements for the future, but we wanted to shed light on one of our most recent changes that we've seen players feeling the effects of.
I have noticed really quick queue times lately. But I've also noticed a lot of 5v5 assassin games. But that's probably because of the string of assassin releases. Oh well.
And I have noticed being matched with people who have no heroes at 10 or above. It makes for quicker matches, and more of them...but not in a healthy way.
So that's why it's so much more common now to have 1 or 2 people per game who clearly are out of their league compared to the other 8 or 9 people in the game.

Can we reapply the rule? Please?
02/28/2017 11:12 PMPosted by PhailRaptor
So that's why it's so much more common now to have 1 or 2 people per game who clearly are out of their league compared to the other 8 or 9 people in the game.

Can we reapply the rule? Please?

Play with more friends! I normally play with at least another two people. I'm tempted to make sure we have the last couple of spots filled with players I don't know in rl, but have on the list regardless, around our skill level, just to ensure better quality matches.

But truthfully, even the losses in QM I've had in the past couple of weeks have been better balanced and even closer games than some of my ranked matches :)
Yesterday QM. Me and 3 my freinds (all plat) get silver teammate, that's OK.
But enemy team was - 3 diamonds, master and... GRANDMASTER. 5 sec queue.
I would prefer 30 sec queue and more balanced (as it possible in QM) teams.
" without sacrificing game quality. " Was a pretty good one.
Master insta tag with lv 12 account in qm/unranked.
Quality MM.
Cant aggre with "we were able to decrease queue times without affecting the quality of matches made."

Since then my games are nearly all dumpster tier games :E, most times it feels like they have arround 1k mmr less then my team, and when i get them into my team i only think wtf what are these apes
Thanks for keeping the community in the loop. This will be a nice little treat for the players.

I think hero levels need to be considered more in the qm algorithm. The skill gap between noticeably newer players with lower level heroes and experienced players with higher level heroes is huge at times. And the newer player's overall heroes played is minimal at that. I had thought that I had read before that this was so and that a heroes level would match with like heroes of the same level. This would make a more balanced gaming experience if it were so, but I also do not see this most of the time I qm.
can Blizzard improve the matchmaking? like compositions, and matching with similar skill etc. and I wish noobs (triggered) would play with players of their own level. When I see a level 4 player in my team who ignores pings and !@#$ talks for telling him to do the objective in a qm, vs all 40 and some diamond portraits, I just lose hope and get annoyed.
03/01/2017 02:28 AMPosted by Plergoth
Play with more friends! I normally play with at least another two people. I'm tempted to make sure we have the last couple of spots filled with players I don't know in rl, but have on the list regardless, around our skill level, just to ensure better quality matches.

Not everyone has that many friends who play this game.
Can you please revert the changes?

Queues went down from 2-10 Minutes to 10-60 seconds .... but Quality of the matches DRASTICALLY decreased.

Id rather have 20 minute queues than the !@#$fest that is going on right now.

Please dont make these decisions for me and give me atleast an option. I dont care about my queue time, i care about the quality of a match because thats where the fun of the game comes from.
An example of the games quality:
http://imgur.com/a/UhxDI

Please, revert the changes. This is one of the worst things you ever made to the game.
Quality of games has significantly decreased. Reread your data.
I'm enjoying the changes.

I play a fair bit and don't have anyone over 10, it isn't terribly quick to achieve.

I like having easier matches when playing a new hero, but once you hit, say, level five, I wouldn't use hero level as a weight when determining skill. Occasionally players hit their skill cap on a hero, but if they continue to gain levels on said hero they will get tougher and tougher matches, eventually forcing the player to stop playing them because they never seem to win.
Love that instant queue...

I wish reconnecting to the game was also that fast.
Yeah the fast matches is so awesome now.
Too bad that I still match with almost always one toxic player all the time :(.

I hope the reconnect system will get a touch as well!
Definitely getting faster matches. But the quality has also most definitely been changed. I don't think I ever wait more than 30-45 seconds, but every game is a complete stomp on one side or the other. Frequently it's due to one side having people all a tier or two higher, but there's also a lot of horrible comp matches. Although I think part of that is also how many people seem to want to play DPS Khar/Tass when they're the only support on the team in QM lately.
For the people complaining about unfair matchups, while it does happen from time to time it is rather the exception, not the norm. I tend to notice the QM matches are relatively evenly matched (+/- a league or so) but "unfair" team comps are what tend cause bad games to occur. I imagine it's quite hard to make sure the drafts are evenly matched because the meta is constantly changing, but hopefully someday a technique is implemented.
The quality decreased a lot. If I am playing with 2 friends we often get 2 people that aren´t even lvl 40 to balance the MMR . Sometimes when we queue as 4 we nearly always get someone below lvl 40 or someone with like 1k MMR