Restore "disable autosave" for replays

General Discussion
Replays are a valuable tool, being able to review specific key instances in certain matches is a way to grow as a player. Having to wade through a sea of irrelevant replays attempting to find the single - generically named - game replay you're looking for wastes player time and discourage use.

The option to disable auto save on replays used to be live in game, then it was removed without any comment or discussion with the player base.

Since the new patch clearly shows a willingness to work on the UI and acknowledge the value it can bring to (or take away from) the game, I am here to reiterate the request that this useful feature be restored.

There was an entire multi-page thread on this subject with the support of various players in the "UI and Features Feedback" section of the forum, until that too was removed.

Please restore this feature which provides a player the ability to choose what works best for them.

Thank you
I totally agree, but what if I disabled autosave and want to save the game I just played? How did it work?
the amount of space replays take up on your computer is negligible. don't be one of those OCD computer nerds.

you have the option to RENAME replays. use this when you know you have a game that was amazing and you wanna see again.
03/05/2017 12:01 PMPosted by Farbas
I totally agree, but what if I disabled autosave and want to save the game I just played? How did it work?

You probably clicked "Save this replay" instead of going into your match history after the game and clicking "Delete this replay" for every replay except the ones you want to save.
03/05/2017 12:49 PMPosted by DrAntagonist
You probably clicked "Save this replay" instead of going into your match history after the game and clicking "Delete this replay" for every replay except the ones you want to save.

It can't work like that. It's the same as recording a video, you have to start recording at beginning. If you disable replay (not start recording), there's no way you can get anything at the end.

That is why the better way is to record every game, then you have an option to delete the replay at the end of each game.

Or another way, it always records every game. But at the end, it "automatically/by default" deletes the replay. Then, you have to click a button to save the replay that you want to keep.
03/05/2017 12:54 PMPosted by Syltom
It can't work like that. It's the same as recording a video, you have to start recording at beginning. If you disable replay (not start recording), there's no way you can get anything at the end.

So when you start typing a form post you HAVE to send it and it auto-sends?
Notepad auto-saves with every letter? SP games autosave every millisecond?

The game saves the match so you can catch up if disconnected, then also permasaves it so you can watch it. The permasave part wasn't always automatic.
03/05/2017 01:34 PMPosted by DrAntagonist

The game saves the match so you can catch up if disconnected, then also permasaves it so you can watch it. The permasave part wasn't always automatic.

If you wonder about auto-saves of Notepad and Microsoft Words, yes, they do every file. You can search on Google to learn more about their mechanic.

Basically, every time you write a new document, it is auto-saved in the TMP folder in System folder. And, after you close the program, the TMP file will be deleted.

And, it is not saved after each character is input. It's just too inefficient. It's saved every 5 or 10 minutes, depended on the interval in settings.
So it used to be that there was an option where you could tell the game to either automatically save replays, or not. Why was it removed? Every other game out there that records replays, including Blizzard ones, does it this way because it just makes plain sense. And if they're not planning to fix this anytime soon, the least they could do is give us an explanation.
05/26/2017 11:39 AMPosted by delta
So it used to be that there was an option where you could tell the game to either automatically save replays, or not.

And if there was a particular interesting match you got the option to save that one specific replay as well as renaming it.
03/05/2017 01:55 PMPosted by Syltom
03/05/2017 01:34 PMPosted by DrAntagonist

If you wonder about auto-saves of Notepad and Microsoft Words, yes, they do every file. You can search on Google to learn more about their mechanic.

Basically, every time you write a new document, it is auto-saved in the TMP folder in System folder. And, after you close the program, the TMP file will be deleted.

And, it is not saved after each character is input. It's just too inefficient. It's saved every 5 or 10 minutes, depended on the interval in settings.
Are you seriously going to say this when every game that had a replay feature in the past ten years doesn't work like this? These days, the server holds onto the data temporarily and requests if you wish to have it on your computer for future viewing. They don't do what this game does and force it onto your computer.

You could at least pretend to know what you're talking about if you want to start an argument you'll lose on.
I think I'm going to switch to LoL, even after using a workaround to deny the HOTS program access the blizz app resets forcing me to save replays. Sick of it, just put the damn disable replay save option back for those of us with less powerful computers that it slows down too much to play the game. Or have a save replay option after the game as a background download instead of slowing down an already lag spike ridden game.
03/05/2017 12:46 PMPosted by jkgiku
the amount of space replays take up on your computer is negligible. don't be one of those OCD computer nerds.

you have the option to RENAME replays. use this when you know you have a game that was amazing and you wanna see again.

It's not. My replay folder is almost 1GB. Then Game Save Manager runs at noon everyday and copies that to my nas and i keep x days of history. Stacks up quickly. Would be a lot easier to just disable in game than look through GSM options.
honestly i just highlight all and delete... problem solved.