Have you played Team Sports?

General Discussion
I'm just curious how many Hero League players here actually played organized Team Sports as a kid, teenager, or young adult. By "organized" I mean as part of an established team in a league.

For example I played:

4 years of American Football
3 years of Volleyball
4 years of Baseball

I'm also curious how many players here participated in team sports at any level of play casually. Growing up I played the gambit of pick up football, baseball, basketball, volleyball, etc. By "pick up" I mean that teams were randomly picked or casually "drafted" on the field of play.

If you played organized team sports did this affect how you organized and played the more casual pick up games?

Did you notice a difference in the ways and means of playing in these two scenarios?

How did you meter out "fairness" in the casual pick up games when it came to players of varying experience and skill?

Were most of the players known to you or were there situations where most of the players were unfamiliar with each other and their level or style of play? If so, how did you, both individually and as a group, compensate for this (if at all)?

Anyway, some food for thought and discussion.
You think thats impressive!? Ive been apart of a circle jerk league for 10 years. Sometimes we do the dutch rudder strat or when things get real serious we do a double dutch rudder.
03/19/2017 09:25 AMPosted by Tigerhawk
You think thats impressive!?

Uh... no, I don't. I don't think too many people can legitimately call their childhood and young adult team sport achievements "impressive".

I am curious, however, why you chose to focus on "impressiveness" as the point of this discussion.

Also, did you play organized sports as a kid, and if so, what was your experience like? I think my educated guess may be on the mark but I'd like to hear it from you.
Coach always told me i was the star player and could do no wrong and whenever we lose to blame the rest of the team cause there's no way I was at fault.

But in all seriousness I played some baseball in highschool. Nothing too special, you practice, go to the gym to stay in shape, learn to have sportsmanship and not be a total !@#$%^- on the field winning or losing.

Never played casual games around the neighborhood tho.
03/19/2017 09:25 AMPosted by Tigerhawk
You think thats impressive!? Ive been apart of a circle jerk league for 10 years. Sometimes we do the dutch rudder strat or when things get real serious we do a double dutch rudder.

What league were you in?
Dare I say it...

...Wood?
I swam for 10 years. Did fencing for 3 years and I'm training, coaching and fighting in different martial arts and MMA for 11 years.
yep all the way up too the pan ams. I have more time in sports during hs then you do in your life.
03/19/2017 09:58 AMPosted by Boba
I swam for 10 years. Did fencing for 3 years and I'm training, coaching and fighting in different martial arts and MMA for 11 years.

Those aren't really team sports (in that you have to cooperate with your teammates to excel as a team) but gratz to you for sticking to it for so many years. I bet that it is quite a challenge none the less.
03/19/2017 09:59 AMPosted by TAB
yep all the way up too the pan ams. I have more time in sports during hs then you do in your life.

It's interestingly telling that you chose to focus on how your accomplishment could be used to belittle someone else rather than simply participate in a rather casual and in no way confrontational discussion.

Regardless, was this on a team sport or something more individualistic like the previous posters example of swimming, fencing, or fighting?

Oh, and dude, I'm pretty damn old. I doubt your time in high school (probably still a significant amount of time from your perspective) is anywhere near the amount of time I've spent doing any one thing for my "lifetime". You're attempt at insult is not only unnecessary, it's laughably sophomoric. :p
03/19/2017 09:45 AMPosted by VSCSupreme
But in all seriousness I played some baseball in highschool. Nothing too special, you practice, go to the gym to stay in shape, learn to have sportsmanship and not be a total !@#$%^- on the field winning or losing.

Lots of practice was my experience as well. And yes, nothing too special. Did you feel a sense of camaraderie with your fellow teammates and did you find that you were much better player when you practiced and learned from each other as a team?

How well do you think your team performed?

Do you remember how your school organized it's season? For example, when I played football we would play each team in the league twice in the season. Depending on our record we would go on to participate in the championships at the end of the season (seeded brackets with semi and finals).

Were there any life lessons you learned as a result of your experience?

Never played casual games around the neighborhood tho.

Why not? I'm curious because when I was playing organized team sport, my friends and I would continue to play those sports in addition to playing on the team. Most of the boys in my neighborhood played on the team and in the off season we would all meet in the local field to continue playing, though a bit more casually and will less rules. This feels natural to me because I know we all really enjoyed playing, so when there wasn't something organized for us we would simply organize ourselves to continue playing.

Coach always told me i was the star player and could do no wrong and whenever we lose to blame the rest of the team cause there's no way I was at fault.

I know you are joking but this did happen sometimes. There was always some coach with a kid on the team who got a lot of preferential treatment. I'd say it wasn't uncommon though not expectedly always the case.
03/19/2017 10:32 AMPosted by zenasprime
03/19/2017 09:58 AMPosted by Boba

Those aren't really team sports (in that you have to cooperate with your teammates to excel as a team) but gratz to you for sticking to it for so many years. I bet that it is quite a challenge none the less.

They are not team sports but most tournamaments are points based so you need to have a good level of team spirit and sportsmanship to get a championship win. Training also goes so much better with a good team. finally to be a good coach you need that level of understanding with your athletes. But yes my successes or failures are mostly based on my own performance.
03/19/2017 11:14 AMPosted by Boba
you need to have a good level of team spirit and sportsmanship to get a championship win.

Oh of course. I don't think anyone who has experience with sports will deny the power of good morale, mood, and camaraderie at affecting the outcome of matches. There's a reason why commentators will often talk about the "home field/court" advantage. What's a better feeling than having your teammates (or the entire stadium) cheering you on? ;)
So not a lot of players on these forums have much team sport experience it seems.
03/19/2017 03:02 PMPosted by zenasprime
So not a lot of players on these forums have much team sport experience it seems.

Its a gaming forum num nuts. We prefer things that use our brains like playing instruments, creating art, an other general computer stuff.

We also like pizza.
I played football for 11 years... then I got injured and could not go pro.... now I hate everyone.
You might want to do a strawpoll on reddit. It seems like an interesting enough study to find out if there is a correlation between having played team sports and HL rank.
I did, as a kid and all throughout high school I played various sports.

I played;

1. Basketball (4 years)
2. Baseball (10+ years)
3. Soccer (2 years)

Also up until my mid 20s I did kick boxing and after that a year or so of Brazilian jujitsu.

And now I don't do anything really, except work, taking care of my family, and gaming late at night.
03/19/2017 03:20 PMPosted by Tigerhawk
03/19/2017 03:02 PMPosted by zenasprime

Its a gaming forum num nuts. We prefer things that use our brains like playing instruments, creating art, an other general computer stuff.

We also like pizza.

I like pizza, art, music, and general computer stuff (ie I'm a programmer) but don't see how playing team (or any other kind of) sports makes any of that mutually exclusive.

Maybe you don't know this but sports are games. That you use your body to play them doesn't mean that you don't use your intellect as well.
03/19/2017 03:32 PMPosted by Aristeia
You might want to do a strawpoll on reddit. It seems like an interesting enough study to find out if there is a correlation between having played team sports and HL rank.

I may do that.
I play a lot of pickup basketball. One thing you never see in a pickup game, or VERY rarely is a toxic teammate who rags on other teammates or gives up after the opposing team scores once or twice. That kind of behavior just isn't tolerated. Even on blown layups the team just runs back and plays defense. I've never ever heard, "you suck", "you're the worst ever" from a teammate.

Plus the game is about doing the best you can because teams will vary in the skill level. Still a lower skilled team can and often does win just by playing better together or trying harder. People do not give up immediately. I think that's the biggest lesson to be learned, if you're going to give up without playing, then why enter the game at all?