There is no 2.0 without a new engine

General Discussion
This game desperately needs a better engine, so you don't have to restart client and wait 5 minutes to reconnect and can spectate matches.
03/29/2017 10:19 AMPosted by HansFrank
This game desperately needs a better engine, so you don't have to restart client and wait 5 minutes to reconnect and can spectate matches.

That's true but I don't think it's very realistic. Don't give Dota as example pls, the rework was not done on custom engine for dota, but on new engine valve was developing and dota could have been created with it in mind. Creating new engine for hots would take tons of work and could greatly reduce content updates. Hots won't probably ever receive a new engine, they will just continue to modify the current one and eliminate reconnect issue at some point.
Heroes 3.0

After 9 years, we finally announce:

Instant reconnect.
All-chat.
Background music customisation.
Master Skin 3.0
Spectate mode.
In-game tournament mode.
Clans/Guilds.
In regards to Heroes 2.0:
I would really love to see a new/updated engine behind the game. Right now, the game suffers from serious CPU-overhead.
The VulkanAPI for example does wonders for systems lacking the CPU horsepower. Implementation depending on complexity of the old system might turn into a lot of work. Still, having at least 60 FPS on all systems with parts made after 2014 would be worth it imho.

03/29/2017 10:34 AMPosted by Warsong
All-chat.

I have the feeling that is left out to keep the salt and troll levels moderate.
(We all know the classic WOT salty posting your current position for everyone to see).
I kind of agree. The engine is giving this game a bad reputation. Unfortunately, developement of a new engine requires insane amount of resources.
03/29/2017 11:06 AMPosted by Dave
Unfortunately, developement of a new engine requires insane amount of resources.

The SC2-Engine has not aged very well. It is about time it gets an upgrade.
Guys, HoTS is a cash grabber. Blizzard won't invest a single penny on a new engine.
New Engine - Higher Requirements- Less Players
no we dont need new engine ( for now )
03/29/2017 10:34 AMPosted by Warsong
Heroes 3.0

After 9 years, we finally announce:

Instant reconnect.
All-chat.
Background music customisation.
Master Skin 3.0
Spectate mode.
In-game tournament mode.
Clans/Guilds.

Also, we are introducing Heroes 3.0 first hero:
Garrosh Hellscream, Warchief of the Horde!
They can not eliminate the reconnect "issue". The reconnection system has nothing to do with the engine and works as intended. The only alternative to the current reconnection system would be to freeze the game for everybody until the player rejoins. Once a software enigneer explained this very well.
04/10/2017 04:59 AMPosted by Franny
They can not eliminate the reconnect "issue". The reconnection system has nothing to do with the engine and works as intended. The only alternative to the current reconnection system would be to freeze the game for everybody until the player rejoins. Once a software enigneer explained this very well.

It is build like that because of the limitations of sc2 engine.

Thats is why they need a new engine.It is not ok for a current online game to have an awful reconnect like this.All other online games are almost putting you in the game instantly after dc without even waiting 3 sec

How would they incorporate a new engine at this stage? How does that process work?

Nothing to do with the engine? What? Is that why Riot has a normal reconnect system and Blizzard doesn't?
If they will make new engine
I will QUIT

They did pull Dustin Browder off to work on a Secret Project and he has been the game master for both StarCraft II and HOTS. Maybe its a new game, maybe its a new engine because the current engine isn't working for either SC2 or hots.

Never know........
I should point out one of the upcoming "announcements" (according to their own site) is "New Program".

Now, what they could mean by "new program" is so vague that I don't put in a ton of hope they mean new engine, but --- it's possible.

I'm personally more inclined to believe "New Program" is either going to be something new to try to get us to spend money (IE something that makes want to buy stim packs badly) or perhaps a new recruit a friend program that gives us something irresistible to make 5 more VultureSmurfs.

But maybe, just maybe --- "New Program" is new engine.

Its just not true. Its a matter of identifying the smallest amount of data to pick up the game where it is. If the client needs every move from the time of disconnect to the time of reconnect then the Client and the server are very badly designed.

You know why the only alternative is to freeze the game for everybody (like Warcraft 3)? Because of the engine. Amazing, right?!

League of Legends and basically every recent online game works differently. You reconnect instantly and there is no freeze for anybody. That's because... diferrent engine! Ta-da!
I am not sure why they are calling this "2.0" when it is in fact a very minor update, nothing changes in the actual game, the gold gains are unchanged so the whole thing is just about a different way of obtaining skins which are completely useless and irrelevant to the gameplay.

Instant reconnect would be a lot more useful than this whole "2.0" who thing which is probably only a way of grabbing more money from people who are interested in using real money to get skins (which is something I will never understand).