Heroes 2.0: Hero Level XP Values

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
*Posted on behalf of Lead Game Designer Travis McGeathy*

If you’ve been following Heroes 2.0 news, you’ll know that we’re updating the experience curve for hero progression. We’ve been making adjustments to XP values for some hero levels, and have settled on ones that we’re happy with. We want to take this opportunity to get the actual numbers into the hands of the community so you can get an idea of what level your heroes will translate to when Heroes 2.0 launches:

Hero Level: XP Required in Heroes 2.0
  • Level 1: 0 XP
  • Level 2: 100,000 XP
  • Level 3: 250,000 XP
  • Level 4: 400,000 XP
  • Level 5: 500,000 XP
  • Level 6: 600,000 XP
  • Level 7: 700,000 XP
  • Level 8: 800,000 XP
  • Level 9: 900,000 XP
  • Level 10: 1,000,000 XP
  • Level 11: 1,100,000 XP
  • Level 12: 1,200,000 XP
  • Additional Levels: 1,200,000 XP

Your heroes will be converted over to the new levels when Heroes 2.0 releases. As previously mentioned, even though we increased XP requirements for lower levels, you will not lose any Hero levels. Instead, lower level Heroes will be set to the amount of XP required to reach that same progression in the same level they attained before.

As always, thank you everyone who has been playing and testing out the system in the Open Beta.
Quick question, a few months ago I reached lvl 20 with Falstad and I've been keep playing with him. Is this extra XP which is not accounted for (because of the current cap at lvl 20) going to be added to my hero after 2.0 is released?
Nope, level 55 is max you're gonna get.
04/20/2017 10:53 AMPosted by Spyrian
*Posted on behalf of Lead Game Designer Travis McGeathy*

Why, Travis, why?!?!

I was so close to level 1000 in the new system (9 or 10 new levels away). Now I'm 53 away! :'(

That 10th veteran chest will never be mine now.
Why not leave it at a max of 1,100,000 ? but thank you anyway :)
04/20/2017 12:35 PMPosted by Nima
Quick question, a few months ago I reached lvl 20 with Falstad and I've been keep playing with him. Is this extra XP which is not accounted for (because of the current cap at lvl 20) going to be added to my hero after 2.0 is released?

From where do you think they will get that "not accounted" EXP from? Obviously, it will not be added to your hero, because there is simply nothing to add. 0 EXP is gained and stored after lvl20.
So despite nearly the fan calculators saying 1.0 level 20s are going 58 in 2.0... They'll be level 55? Like announced before?

No. They already said few days ago that, they are not tracking the extra exp, so is no way to know which would be your new level beyond the equivalent to 20.
Are the amounts of XP per match staying the same? As in if I win a game and hit 150k xp from it, that will still be 150k in H2.0
Any updated calculators out there?
Wow.. i went from 702 to 688... i think i need to buy Cassia to get 7 easy levels..
Lucky i check the posts.

Hope is the last change!!
04/20/2017 01:32 PMPosted by Levicopter
So despite nearly the fan calculators saying 1.0 level 20s are going 58 in 2.0... They'll be level 55? Like announced before?

I don't know if Blizz every commented on that discrepancy. But using their new XP table in 2.0, a level 20 will become a level 54.
04/20/2017 01:36 PMPosted by Ged

No. They already said few days ago that, they are not tracking the extra exp, so is no way to know which would be your new level beyond the equivalent to 20.

Source?
04/20/2017 01:31 PMPosted by Caldyrvan
Why not leave it at a max of 1,100,000 ? but thank you anyway :)

Maximum was always 1200k, but for some reason most of the spreadsheet makers used the invalid max cap even if the correct number was available from the beta from the beginning.

Only change they made since start of the beta was to decrease XP needed for levels 2 and 3 (which resulted 250k XP decrease from the cumulative sums for later levels).

04/20/2017 03:11 PMPosted by waterboytkd
04/20/2017 01:32 PMPosted by Levicopter

I don't know if Blizz every commented on that discrepancy. But using their new XP table in 2.0, a level 20 will become a level 54.

Current level 20 is almost 55 in the new system. The cumulative sum for current lvl 20 is 58 725 000 XP. XP required for the new lvl 55 is 59 050 000. Thus for such characters only 325k XP more is needed to reach level 55 after 2.0 goes live.
You won't lose any hero levels, but Blizzard completely fails to make it clear that a large number of hero levels that count in 1.0 will no longer count in 2.0, and the effect is applied retroactively.

Right now in 1.0 a level 1 hero with no XP is effectively level 0, because it doesn't contribute to your total hero level, but a level 1 hero with any amount of XP does contribute at least 1 level to your total hero level; so basically a level 1 hero (in 1.0) is actually a level 1 hero with any amount of XP.

That's not the case in 2.0 however, because in 2.0 the new level 1 is effectively level 0 regardless of how much XP the level 1 hero has, and this is demonstrated with the example (that Blizzard gave) of having 5 level 5 heroes on your account which gives you a player level of 20, not 25.

This isn't made reasonably clear at all by Blizzard, because as far as I can tell the fact that only heroes "beyond level 1" contribute to your player level is only mentioned as a side note in the initial 2.0 announcement, and Blizzard has not gone to any lengths to explain what effect this can have on your converted player level when 2.0 comes around, which is that you can easily end up with a much lower player level as a veteran than expected.
04/20/2017 04:11 PMPosted by Pjwned
You won't lose any hero levels, but Blizzard completely fails to make it clear that a large number of hero levels that count in 1.0 will no longer count in 2.0, and the effect is applied retroactively.

Right now in 1.0 a level 1 hero with no XP is effectively level 0, because it doesn't contribute to your total hero level, but a level 1 hero with any amount of XP does contribute at least 1 level to your total hero level; so basically a level 1 hero (in 1.0) is actually a level 1 hero with any amount of XP.

That's not the case in 2.0 however, because in 2.0 the new level 1 is effectively level 0 regardless of how much XP the level 1 hero has, and this is demonstrated with the example (that Blizzard gave) of having 5 level 5 heroes on your account which gives you a player level of 20, not 25.

This isn't made reasonably clear at all by Blizzard, because as far as I can tell the fact that only heroes "beyond level 1" contribute to your player level is only mentioned as a side note in the initial 2.0 announcement, and Blizzard has not gone to any lengths to explain what effect this can have on your converted player level when 2.0 comes around, which is that you can easily end up with a much lower player level as a veteran than expected.

How many times do you need to be told, you earn a player level whenever you level a Hero, and heroes start at level 1. This is basic logic. Please tell me if you started a new account and leveled a TWO heroes to level 5, what Player level do you think you SHOULD be?
04/20/2017 01:36 PMPosted by Ged

Source? Where did they say that? When they raised the level cap from 10 to 20 way back in the day, that extra xp was tracked and carried over.
04/20/2017 05:16 PMPosted by reptar
Source? Where did they say that? When they raised the level cap from 10 to 20 way back in the day, that extra xp was tracked and carried over.

No, it wasn't. If you were capped at 10, you started with 0 XP towards 11.

Feels a little weird that we're calling the Sylvanas patch "way back in the day" now.
04/20/2017 05:09 PMPosted by LightWolf
04/20/2017 04:11 PMPosted by Pjwned

How many times do you need to be told, you earn a player level whenever you level a Hero, and heroes start at level 1. This is basic logic. Please tell me if you started a new account and leveled a TWO heroes to level 5, what Player level do you think you SHOULD be?

It doesn't really matter what I'm told because I'm objectively correct about what I said.

Taking your example of a new account with 2 heroes leveled to 5, my entire point is that in 1.0 your total hero level would be 10, but in 2.0 your player level will only be 8 because in 2.0 the 1st level retroactively no longer counts.

As far as what should be done, here you go:

04/20/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Pjwned

1) Heroes start at level 0 instead of level 1 in 2.0, rather than level 1 heroes effectively being level 0.

2) Any hero that does not have any XP by the time 2.0 comes around is converted to level 0.

3) Any hero that has any amount of XP by the time 2.0 comes around stays at level 1 or higher.

Result: new players start off the same way they would have while veteran players don't get the shaft by having a large number of hero levels no longer count retroactively, and no more of this "LOL IT SAYS YOU'RE LEVEL 1 BUT YOU'RE ACTUALLY LEVEL 0 AND WHEN IT SAYS YOU'RE LEVEL 2 YOU'RE ACTUALLY LEVEL 1 AND SO ON LOL XDDD" nonsense.
04/20/2017 05:31 PMPosted by Pjwned

04/20/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Pjwned

1) Heroes start at level 0 instead of level 1 in 2.0, rather than level 1 heroes effectively being level 0.

2) Any hero that does not have any XP by the time 2.0 comes around is converted to level 0.

3) Any hero that has any amount of XP by the time 2.0 comes around stays at level 1 or higher.

Result: new players start off the same way they would have while veteran players don't get the shaft by having a large number of hero levels no longer count retroactively, and no more of this "LOL IT SAYS YOU'RE LEVEL 1 BUT YOU'RE ACTUALLY LEVEL 0 AND WHEN IT SAYS YOU'RE LEVEL 2 YOU'RE ACTUALLY LEVEL 1 AND SO ON LOL XDDD" nonsense.

Alas if they did that, it wouldn't work, because see, if your hero isn't level 2 already, you don't have enough exp to level to 1 from 0 in your suggested system. The only reason you would be considered level 1 is that blizzard is nice enough not to delevel heroes with less exp. So choose one, you lose levels if you don't have enough Exp and you get your stupid request OR you don't lose levels. You can't have both.

All your suggestion do is delay every first reward by 600k exp, because they ain't gonna move everything forward by one level, you ain't gonna get gold at hero level 4 and hero specific chests at 9, that I can guarantee. Also most logical non insane system start at level 1 not level 0. You are literally arguing to get more rewards, nothing more. Face the music already, YOU EARN A PLAYER LEVEL EVERY TIME YOU LEVEL UP, 1.0 TOTAL HERO LEVEL IS IRRELEVANT AND NEVER WAS RELEVANT.