Matchmaking is completely awful

General Discussion
Facing 4 people over level 600 and 1 under 300 with 3 people under 300 and 2 over 600 is not ok. EVER. Easily fixable by not being lazy. (edit)

Forum Mod Edit: Please keep your posts civil.
I think you're being extremely awful. I was on board when I saw the title, because 80% of my games are total stomps(as in my team is always the one being stomped.)

But calling the devs trash is totally unacceptable. Don't be rude.
05/16/2017 02:14 PMPosted by Crybaby
But calling the devs trash is totally unacceptable. Don't be rude.

Well, true, but they don't do their job well enough currently.
Besides the obvious flaws with 2.0. they ignore each posting about the matchmaking which isn't exactly what I call a wise decision.
Level does not equal skill.
lol, this has to be the most strawman argumentation to MM ever.

Ok, I get if someone is lvl 4 in some game and someone else is lvl 124. So you can say, even though levels don't necessarily mean skill, that a matchup like that is kinda odd. As in, someone who played hundreds of hours is surely way, way better than someone who played like an hour.

But, level 300's and level 600's? Are you joking? What's next, "this dude was level 3000 and this other dude was only level 1500, he's still learning"?
05/16/2017 02:49 PMPosted by SparkyGang
Level does not equal skill.

Level is a pretty good indicator of skill tho, if (for example) a person is under level 100, that means they don't have 10 heroes at 10 yet, or 20 heroes at 5, etc. There's a pretty good chance that the person under 100 is playing a hero they've either NEVER played, or have only played a little. Unless they exclusively play that one hero, which is tbh even worse. They won't know how to counter the enemy or work with their teammates as well, due to not being familiar with other heroes.

Compared to a level 600 player, who could have 60 heroes at 10. Much higher chance that they're playing a hero they're good with, or they know well. Also a MUCH higher chance that they are high ranked in HL/TL. And just in raw amount of games played, the 600 player is miles ahead of the 100.

I agree with the post (except for the part where the OP calls the devs trash, that's not nice) because I played a QM game against a level 900 player (yellow border with a gem on the bottom is 900 right? i might be wrong). I'm level 154, and my team ranged from 150-500.

Not even getting into the imbalanced matchmaking of the team compositions themselves.

Usually I would stick to draft modes (after I've seen so many threads of people just saying "do draft if u hate qm"), but I'm trying to level assassins to play in draft modes. I don't like playing against AI, so my only option is QM.
Hey Aile,

I'm guessing this was in Quick Match? Matchmaking is way more complicated than pure account level. While that does give you a good idea of how experienced the player is in general with the game, it doesn't account for a number of things:

Hero Familiarity
While I may be amazing on one Hero, I may be starting to learn another one or maybe I'm experimenting with builds. Quick Match is a place where you can try things out that may not always be optimal for what you would normally choose in a Ranked game.

Composition
Quick Match will do its best to make a good game using a large number of factors but while archetypes may be even, certain hero combinations may end up having an advantage/disadvantage that are partially related to whatever combination you may have done with your group. If me and my friends queue up as 4 Supports and 1 Warrior, it can make things more complicated.

Battleground
This is similar to the above but sometimes even if you have a great composition, it may not be the map for it. For example, you may have a solid comp for a map like Cursed Hollow but if you end up on Braxis with a sub-optimal top laner you're potentially looking at an uphill battle.

General Player State
This is meant to account for things that may be affecting the person in control. Maybe I'm having a bad day, maybe I'm tilted or maybe I'm just here to have fun and not fully committing to "tryharding".

At it's core though, Quick Match isn't there to make the perfect game but just one that thinks is overall fair while allowing you to pick what Hero you want to play. I find that Unranked Draft is the game mode I want to play when I'm in the mood to win with a "real" composition on a map I can react to but don't want to deal with the stress of Ranked.

Regardless of the above, we're making constant backend changes to optimize the matchmaker and the quality of games it creates so thank you for sharing your feedback with the team.

See you around!
Level doesn't equal skill.

just like games played doesn't equal skill.

I'll take a player with under 300 level that's plat over a player with 2k level that's bronze.
Agree QM-MM sucks they can't balance it or they just don't care. But you can always play unranked or ranked yeah i know sometimes u just want to hit a QUICK match but this company can't balance that. double tank or healer vs no healer or tank. 4 group party vs 2 group party. pre-made parties vs solo q poor bastards etc. Yeah it sucks people who say NO they are just fanboys.
05/16/2017 05:24 PMPosted by Zeoz
Agree QM-MM sucks they can't balance it or they just don't care. But you can always play unranked or ranked yeah i know sometimes u just want to hit a QUICK match but this company can't balance that. double tank or healer vs no healer or tank. 4 group party vs 2 group party. pre-made parties vs solo q poor bastards etc. Yeah it sucks people who say NO they are just fanboys.

How would you "balance" QM without destroying wait times?
When my "person rank" adjustment in hero league wants me to drop because i'm getting higher than my hidden MMR thinks i should be in rank, there's a serious problem with how the matchmaking works and whether or not it rewards actual improvement in gameplay (wins)
05/16/2017 05:26 PMPosted by bigred

How would you "balance" QM without destroying wait times?

When the game matches ten people in one game and two solo healers are on the same team, I would rather see each of them on one side of the game. Not two healers in one team, one healer in each group. Or even more uglier, they get a true support and you have four solo assassins in your team just because that awful matchmaker want you to lose the game. It's terrible, really, really terrible for a business like Blizzard.

And sorry AlexK - but the example with "4 warriors 1 support" is such a lame excuse for a abysmal matchmaker that you guys really should improve the quality of the games and not how shiny the graphics sparkle. I think we all can agree that we rather wait 30 secs instead 0-10 secs for having a good gaming experience instead a complete one-sided stomp with predictable mm-patterns because you either lost too many games so you get "good" team mates or really unfair comps where you have no chance at all because for "patterns". You guys need to take this issue far more serious. Thanks.

By playing drafts we will face tryhards that can not accept an own decision and will instantly report you for not picking fotm.

QM is the only chance Casuals have, but since 2.0 it´s completely imbalanced. I play many more games now where one team has a tank and the other none, where one team has huge support and the other none or just one, games where one team has no damage dealers, while the other three and so on.

They seem to have lowered queue times for the price of worse matchups and that is very noticeable if you play since alpha.
Hey Aile,

Matchmaking is way more complicated

function matchMaking() {
var queueTime = 300000; \\5 minutes to make it look working hard
var players = getRandomPlayers(10);
var map = 'Hanamura';

wait(queueTime);

startMatch(players, map);
}
http://i.imgur.com/3fotyUn.png

I had to check hotslogs after this particular match.

Being back from a ~6 month break and playing for ~2 weeks, the amount of rookie mistakes, including both "strategy" fails and absolutely horrible mechanical skills...
Oh and, they had 1st pick and our Lili was banning and of course he didn't ban Sylvanas on Shrines, why would he?

So our guy manages to get Sylvanas as a 2nd pick. I'm like "sweet, our chances have just gone up greatly".
That dude was trash, most of the match I had double his siege damage and ~50% more hero damage. He eventually caught up with the damage after 15mins, because I couldn't do anything as a melee anymore. He was just throwing daggers and terrible, pointless Wailing arrows.

Zuljin pick was terrible there as well, and his play was infinitely worse than his pick.
He basically fed badly in the early game and had nothing to offer in fights but his Tazdingo and dps like crazy until you die in 1v3+.

They were engaging enemies at random. We had a couple of good opportunities to gank them when they were separated, but our guys were taking camps and stuff.

Enemies were bad as well, since they couldn't win faster than 20mins.

But my god lmao... I was actually laughing the whole game. I was so out of place that it wasn't even irritating.

I was in awe of such a matchmaker. I was ~15 seconds in queue for this one at 6 PM. The MM basically just threw me there for !@#$s and giggles.

Now this isn't a regular game, regular games are much smoother but still I find terrible newbies/noobs in almost every game.

Every ~5th game is actually enjoyable, without potatoes. That goes for UD. In HL, things are much worse, 9/10 games have a troll.
05/17/2017 03:33 AMPosted by Sahabial
Hey Aile,

Matchmaking is way more complicated

function matchMaking() {
var queueTime = 300000; \\5 minutes to make it look working hard
var players = getRandomPlayers(10);
var map = 'Hanamura';

wait(queueTime);

startMatch(players, map);
}

I would add:

If (a player won too many games in a row) {