Update: Raptor Mount

General Discussion
Thank you, everyone, for all your feedback and comments regarding the animation of the Raptor mount.

The team has heard you loud and clear: We have decided that it is best to re-author the animations in response to your feedback.

Community feedback is foundational to the construction of a better game. Thank you, again, for the sentiments we continue to receive, and all the responses we’ve received in the past.

GLHF, and I’ll see you in the Nexus.
--Lana Bachynski

PS, The animator responsible is now confined to the coffee room playing on a special client where he can only pick Genji but W, E, and D are disabled.
hi Lana
so, no unicycle mount, I take it..
Love your presence on this forum!
Highly Rated
06/15/2017 02:17 PMPosted by BlizzLana
PS, The animator responsible is now confined to the coffee room playing on a special client where he can only pick Genji but W, E, and D are disabled.

Times like this make me wish I could give Blues thumbs up.

Also, can I just say how awesome it is to see so much Blue activity? The forums feel like so much less of a shoutbox, even with just a smidge of dev posts. It's really a great feeling.
Please add another raptor for those not that active in HL :)
06/15/2017 02:35 PMPosted by MurlocAggroB

Times like this make me wish I could give Blues thumbs up.

Also, can I just say how awesome it is to see so much Blue activity? The forums feel like so much less of a shoutbox, even with just a smidge of dev posts. It's really a great feeling.

Very happy to help!
Lana MVP Blue! Just need a cool portrait.
Thank you, everyone, for all your feedback and comments regarding the animation of the Raptor mount. On behalf of the animation team, I would like to take a quick moment to provide some insight on the current state of the animations.

The team has heard you loud and clear: We have decided that it is best to re-author the animations in response to your feedback.

Community feedback is foundational to the construction of a better game. Thank you, again, for the sentiments we continue to receive, and all the responses we’ve received in the past.

GLHF, and I’ll see you in the Nexus.
--Lana Bachynski

Isn't it possible to modulate the riding animations prior to the game loading so that you don't need to load all the animations for that character? Considering you cannot change the mount once you hit ready you can "flip the on switch" for the animation set selected by the player when they lock in a specific mount. They are all off by default, when you select a mount in the loadout, it activates that animation set leaving all the others off. Load time is reduced and performance in game is improved since every time you mount up it doesn't need to find the correct animation set as there is only 1 used throughout that game.

This would also allow you to have an infinite number of animations per character. Well, that is, if you don't care about installation time haha.

I assume that doing this would require some changes to the engine itself. I don't know how much of the engine is still using the StarCraft engine systems, but I imagine this is the reason for the limitation as StarCraft units don't need very many unique animations. I think this would be a good thing to change though as it allows for the art and animation team to have more fun.
Lana is rapidly becoming my favourite blizzard employee, watch out Jeff.
What about Malthael hero-specific mount?
Thank you, Lana! ^^
06/15/2017 02:37 PMPosted by Espinosa
Please add another raptor for those not that active in HL :)
With Vol'jin as our new Hero :D

I often meet him in the game.
I'm really glad about this. I played Ranked for the first time in my moba career to get that mount, and I was really disappointed at it's little run animation (and lack thereof).

Here's hoping you successfully replicate the feel of the WoW raptor animation this time, it's my favorite racial mount.
ROFL

Hard to get a blue response at the best of times, and one comes on to announce they've acted on community feedback of a mount's bad animation.

I don't even...
Give the Raptor animation job to the guy/gal who did the Boar Mount, it's animation is so amazingly fluid and authentic ;)

lul
Thank you!

As if the unreliable MMR system in ranked wasn't punishing enough.