How to deal with KT in lane?

General Discussion
What I mean is, how do i stop him from just poking me with living bomb over and over again for free damage? For example, in a game I played today as greymane, I was trying to soak. I had to solo lane, and I was up against KT. I was just trying to soak, but he could just keep walking in range and poking me over and over. since you cant really dodge it. I thought about trying to just dive on him next time he did it and punish him for it, but I figured he would just stun and combo me then walk away, getting much more damage on me than I would get on him. Ive had this problem with quite a few other heroes playing against KT in lane and I dont really know how to deal with the situation. I cant really just go and kill him because of his stun and ability to get free damage on me whenever I get close, but I also dont want to just stand there and let him poke me for free with very limited retaliation and me usually having to hearth back at some point losing EXP on the lane.

How do I deal with him when he does this? I dont want to let him poke me and force me to expend resources and/or lose soak to stay alive, but I also can't really just attack him because he can punish that.
Well you cant deal with KT in lane as Greymane and you shouldnt be forced to do so in the first place.

Assuming you HAVE to:
- go ham and try to deal as much damage as possible in order to force him to B (do the same),
or
- stay close enough to the minion wave to soak xp and when they get close, melt them down sacrificing some tower ammo,

In the end you shouldnt solo but i assume its not your fault.
Since you made that thread about finally ranking up from b5, I take it you want actual advice and are not just making threads to rile up people.

Anyway, if you face a Kael in solo lane, you simply don't send Greymane up there. It's that simple. Maybe you could bully him out by perfect coctail hits but it's doubtful.

You need to send up someone who has self sustain like Alarak, Sonya or Rexxar. That means heroes who can heal themselves and also deal decent damage to the other solo laner if he gets too bold and comes too close. He will never be able to poke these heroes out of lane.

Greymane has no self sustain at all. If your coctails don't hit Kael, he will just use his trait and use Living bomb on you over & over until you have to forfeit the lane and go back to base for health. So it would be much better for someone else in the team to go in that lane.
08/11/2017 10:42 AMPosted by MortalWombat

Yeah unfortunately my options are solo lane vs kt or leave the lane unsoaked most of the time. Everyone goes mid at first, then I split when the waves in top or bot lanes are going to meet soon so i dont lose soak, and i usually have to ping and remind my teammates in chat to soak top or bot a few times because there's usually still 4 mid. Sometimes I cant even get 1 person to go in the empty lane lol.
gank him from bush and burst him down before he can retal I guess. but as others have said taking on kt in solo lane is not greymanes job.
Just hit him and the minions with Cocktail. No reason he should be getting close enough that consistently. If he's good you aren't going to be pushing him out of lane easily so just keep the soak.
This is something I learned playing LoL. Trading is essential. You cannot let someone get free damage on you, because from the moment you do till the end of the laning phase, you will be on the backpedal trying not to die.

If KT comes up towards you, you know what's coming. Cocktail towards him, activate inner beast and start shooting. Keep going towards him with AAs and when he inevitably tries to stun you, dodge as best you can and pounce. GM may not have self healing but neither does KT. Bite his elf face off, after he's burnt his stun.
Also I would suggest asking for assistance since you just describe doing what I do, which is split off from the 5 man team fight early to soak a side lane since teamfighting at level 1 is not worth missing a wave of xp (literally a kill is worth less than a wave.)

KT is a relatively easy mark, anyone who can come gank for you can generally make it a kill so long as they have at least a slow in their kit. He has a large hitbox, he has low hp, no sustain, and he has no mobility, so he's a relatively easy mark.

Alternatively, I would suggest doing what the others suggest and attempting to poke him really hard, if he walks up to you then walk away and only stay in soak range while tossing cocktails when you can, if he walks into your minions then feel free to dive into him, but be smart since you will have to stand with a minion between you and him to ensure he either traits his stun or can't stun you. (Note, you do not have to dive in on him with darkflight, you could also just pepper him until he pisses off since you'll outdamage him quickly, if he casts flamestrike dodging it with darkflight is important.)
Bushes are your friend.
hi, i didn't bother to read the other replies, but i'll give you my tips having played this lane. i'll additionally inform you that i hate solo laning, it's boring; teamfighting is way better and is definitely the way to play heroes of the storm. it's not a 1v1 game like league where you sit in lane for 20 minutes, and you don't have to. feel free to play the game in such a way as to allow you to go around the map doing whatever you want, rather than feeling 'stuck' in a lane.

at level 1, kael can't oneshot a wave. he can living bomb and flamestrike it, it won't oneshot the wave. keep this in mind as he goes for the regen globe and auto attacks the minions. that's when you're hitting him with cocktails.

if kael is in range to auto attack you (or apply a living bomb; it's the same range, so i assume he's doing both.) then Greymane is in range to auto attack him back. and Greymane's autos hurt way more.

if kael empowers a living bomb to remove the mana cost, he just !@#$ed up. REALLY bad. i wish i could show you, but i'll have to explain via text -
kael can no longer empower his E for an increased stun duration and a guaranteed flamestrike hit.

if he's in range of you and putting empowered living bombs on you, you jump on him. w for bonus attack speed, as you'll be getting 3-4 autos off on him. you may kill him, depending how far up he is in lane. dodge the stun or get hit by it, it doesn't matter, just dodge the next flamestrike. it's very possible to dodge the flamestrike since it won't be empowered, and his stun wasn't empowered to hold you inside it. you've just traded at LEAST half of kael's health (3 wolf autos, razor swipe, perhaps some human autos if he's not behind his wall yet) for ~15% of your own.

kael can only win this lane if he stands behind his wall, holding on to his D for an empowered stun, clearing the wave with flamestrikes from maximum range. greymane can only lose this lane if he gets hit by towers, flamestrikes or empowered stuns.
Poke him back with Cocktail, when he walks up to predictably hit you with Living Bomb, leap on him and save your Q to dodge his Gravity Lapse and smack him around a few times, force him back.
Ask someone to rotate to your lane and gank him together. A lone kt can be a pretty easy target
08/11/2017 10:37 AMPosted by HailFall
What I mean is, how do i stop him from just poking me with living bomb over and over again for free damage? For example, in a game I played today as greymane, I was trying to soak. I had to solo lane, and I was up against KT. I was just trying to soak, but he could just keep walking in range and poking me over and over. since you cant really dodge it. I thought about trying to just dive on him next time he did it and punish him for it, but I figured he would just stun and combo me then walk away, getting much more damage on me than I would get on him. Ive had this problem with quite a few other heroes playing against KT in lane and I dont really know how to deal with the situation. I cant really just go and kill him because of his stun and ability to get free damage on me whenever I get close, but I also dont want to just stand there and let him poke me for free with very limited retaliation and me usually having to hearth back at some point losing EXP on the lane.

How do I deal with him when he does this? I dont want to let him poke me and force me to expend resources and/or lose soak to stay alive, but I also can't really just attack him because he can punish that.

Get out of his range , it's not that big
Kill Mr.Bigglesworth
He will rage quit
Stay out of range. Auto attack minions. Throw flask when on cooldown.

KT has as little sustain as you do.

You will lose the lane, but not in dramatic fashion.
08/11/2017 10:59 AMPosted by HailFall
08/11/2017 10:42 AMPosted by MortalWombat

Yeah unfortunately my options are solo lane vs kt or leave the lane unsoaked most of the time. Everyone goes mid at first, then I split when the waves in top or bot lanes are going to meet soon so i dont lose soak, and i usually have to ping and remind my teammates in chat to soak top or bot a few times because there's usually still 4 mid. Sometimes I cant even get 1 person to go in the empty lane lol.
leave it unsoaked. hopefully your teammates take the initiative and move up there because as GM you are totally wasted 1v1 against KT.
Know the hero that you are going up against.

Verdant spheres enable abilities.

Living bomb -- Vertant sphere make this ability have cost no mana, and have no cool down. so basically while the green balls spin, KT can spam his W as much as he wants to. (DONT BE IN RANGE OF THIS)

So first thing is wait for the gowing green globes to go away, dodge a gravity lapse then go wargen form and kill him because he has zero escapes.

While you're waiting for this keep shooting gun and tossing cocktails.

Repeat till you win the lane.

Also if he throws a W without the spheres kill him because activating the spheres doesn't reduce an existing cooldown so if he throws a W before the spheres are active go in and kill him as a dog because he is vulnerable. just dodge the laps and the flamestrike.

Attack hard when the balls are on cooldown.
The key to dealing with KT 1v1 is juking his stun. If you juke it, you have a high chance of juking the follow-up Flamestirke as well. If you dodge both of those spells, the only damage you'll take in an exchange is auto attacks and a Living Bomb. That's a win for you. At worst, he'll have to drink from fountain. At best, you'll kill him. It's all about juking the stun.

But if you're really unsure about your ability to juke the stun, just don't engage him at all. The only thing you absolutely HAVE to do in the solo lane is soak exp. Getting kills is a bonus. If you don't think you can win a 1v1 fight with the opposing hero, just focus on weakening the minion wave as much as possible before it gets to your towers and soak the exp there.