Getting out of silver

General Discussion
What worked for me (bronze->gold, not much more actually) was to see the game as "practice": try to give your best, try out different strats, stick to the hereos you play best but use them in new ways...ALWAYS: BRING VALUE TO THE TEAM.

I'm never pissed off when I lose I game in which i learned something new, or I just played overall pretty good, practicing my favorite toon.

Final thought: 90% of the games no one wants to pick a TANK and 95% of the games a healer. Consider going main tank/healer and you might be able to carry/be followed.
09/17/2017 10:02 PMPosted by Copypastable
You play HL on the weekend? What are you... silver??

This has played more of a role in my ability or inability to rank up than ANYTHING else. Do not play on the weekends. Ever.

The other part is being a tank or healer. More often than not I seem to provide more value as a healer than anything else. It seems people who play healers just don’t know how to support their team.

I see this happen quite often on popular streamers when they play healer. I watched one today where she hearted back to base as the new Tyrande with 95% mana and 40% health. This was during a team fight. Why? Why would she hearth.

I’ve also noticed that reaction times for most people are incredibly slow. Which you need high reaction times for peels or heals.

Also, turning on Quick Cast was a blessing. I couldn’t believe how much faster I was at healing and using abilities. I was scared of using it before but recently tried it and now I feel silly not using it already.
Don't play HL. it's not playable in its current state. until PBMM is implemented or significant changes are made. It's more frustrating that fun for many reason.

Dont play HL, only when populations reach a critical low... will it be addresses.
Well it might be partly because you play heroes like Valla...

If you actually want to get out of silver, play hard carry heroes (Greymane, Alarak, Genji, Fenix, etc.) instead of heroes that stopped being good in two years ago. The name of the game is hyper mobility and heavy damage, so learn the heroes that have both. Also learn to play the hard carry tanks well (Muradin, Anub'arak, even Arthas), tanks that have HEAVY cc while also doing a lot of damage. Anub is great because when you take cocoon (ALWAYS TAKE COCOON) you completely eliminate one player from the fight, and silver players typically won't break the cocooned player out.

Silver is a smattering of poor micro capabilities with no macro knowledge. Learn when to take camps, and maintain lane pressure against your opponents. You likely won't climb out with an 85~90% win rate like a master league smurf, but you should be able to accumulate at least a 60~65% win rate playing good heroes and learning how to play each map, and should be able to climb out pretty easily.
Sorry, but 7 loses in a row scream Tilt to me. I would assume a Diamond player and up would have easily won at least 5 in Silver.

Get better.
09/17/2017 09:21 PMPosted by BlueMeanie
Played 7 games today. Lost all 7. Had everything from 5 death abathur at 12 minutes to kerrigan declaring "GG noobs" at 5 minutes and goes off to lane alone for the rest of the game, never coming to one team fight or objective.

All I want is people to play as a team and watch each others backs, but no....

Every match I've got some one-armed cross-eyed narcissistic reprehensible parasite with about 39 chromosomes playing characters that they have 12 games played on.

Every single game.

I read these forums all the time and plenty of people say:
"If you are better than silver you will climb out"
My response:
"I am 20% of my team, I can't help it if I do well and someone on my team is negating anything positive that I contribute."

How do I have 850 games on valla with a 60% win rate and I cannot get out of silver? I think a 60% WR is pretty good across that many games.

Ah well, tomorrow is a new day folks. But today sure sucked.

I've been doing this for 3 years. Regardless of what many people will say you probably are good. I literally just got out of a game with feeding teammates an am on a losing streak of games that have no chance of winning without some extreme carry. My only true advice is to just be confident in yourself and enjoy the game. I think there is more to the ranking system than just skill. As you said there are many random people out there who lack the full concept of how to win/compete. I was one of them when learning the game.

Feel free to add me as I am very tryhard and all for backing my teammates.
Played 7 games today. Lost all 7. Had everything from 5 death abathur at 12 minutes to kerrigan declaring "GG noobs" at 5 minutes and goes off to lane alone for the rest of the game, never coming to one team fight or objective.

Every match I've got some one-armed cross-eyed narcissistic reprehensible parasite with about 39 chromosomes playing characters that they have 12 games played on.

Every single game.

My response:
"I am 20% of my team, I can't help it if I do well and someone on my team is negating anything positive that I contribute."

How do I have 850 games on valla with a 60% win rate and I cannot get out of silver? I think a 60% WR is pretty good across that many games.

Actually, Valla isn't the best hero to try to climb with. If Raynor's open go with him, he's just better, if not go Fenix since no one knows how to play against him and he has good waveclear without having to care about mana or hatred stacks.
04/23/2018 01:45 AMPosted by Tsja
Responding on a 7+ month old topic :D

When will we let this poor thread die, it's been buried twice now.
09/10/2018 01:47 PMPosted by phaseshifter

Every single game.

My response:

Actually, Valla isn't the best hero to try to climb with. If Raynor's open go with him, he's just better, if not go Fenix since no one knows how to play against him and he has good waveclear without having to care about mana or hatred stacks.

Dude check the post date. Valla was a hard carry then. Fenix and Hanzo didn't exist and double support was meta.
09/10/2018 12:32 PMPosted by CheeLebba
I think there is more to the ranking system than just skill.

One part of skill is observing your surroundings. For example, not responding to year old posts.
09/10/2018 06:04 PMPosted by Bou
09/10/2018 12:32 PMPosted by CheeLebba
I think there is more to the ranking system than just skill.

One part of skill is observing your surroundings. For example, not responding to year old posts.

The post is still relevant. And making a new thread on an already discussed topic is discouraged.

Seems legit.
09/10/2018 09:17 PMPosted by Kratos
The post is still relevant.

He asked to be friends with the OP (whose last post was half a year ago).

If he was responding in general then whatever, but when he's trying to hold a direct conversation with a ghost that's pretty telling...
09/10/2018 09:28 PMPosted by Bou
09/10/2018 09:17 PMPosted by Kratos
The post is still relevant.

He asked to be friends with the OP (whose last post was half a year ago).

If he was responding in general then whatever, but when he's trying to hold a direct conversation with a ghost that's pretty telling...

You people say anything to feel superior. It was fresh in my feed and I had a relevant response. But relevance is a concept that you probably lack, commenting on what others do online instead of solving problems. You tripped on a rock yesterday therefore you are stupid and don't deserve feet. Miss me...
09/10/2018 01:55 PMPosted by Werbs713
09/10/2018 01:47 PMPosted by phaseshifter

Dude check the post date. Valla was a hard carry then. Fenix and Hanzo didn't exist and double support was meta.

No, but it still applies to the "How to get out of Silver" question.
So I accidentally queued of HL on the EU server where I don't really play. As I entered the game, I was matched with a bunch of gold-1s.

I thought it would be a loss for me since I'm running on crappy DSL so the ping kinda sucks. But what happened? Enemy got rekt. Free win. They dunno what they're doing, as if they skipped the in-game tutorials. Ranking up from gold should be a breeze, never mind silver.

Follow the in-game tutorials religiously and you will see movement out of silver.
Pretty new to HL but losing bad and in Silver 5 limbo. What are the best carry heroes at the moment? So far I'm playing a lot of Sonya and ETC with limited success.