genji at a 43% win rate

General Discussion
Genji has a high skill cap. His low WR is largely due to this. Unskilled players will be unable to reach his potential. While I don't care for Genji's design, I like the existence of heroes that require a high skill level to reach their potential.
Win rate does not mean tier list.

Its simply a representation of how well average players can play X character.

In this case ...
43% of players were great .
57% of players need practice.

However...a high skill character should NOT be simplified because people cant or wont invest time to get better withsaid character as some people are attracted to complex mechanics or high skill needs.

Even if a character had 5% win rate and a crazy high skill cap i would be ok with it as long the potential of that character works and is justified.

To be honest if such character would come up i would probably learn it extensively so i can master something 95% of other players couldnt.
10/10/2017 12:03 AMPosted by Excellus
Why? Because Genji is a cancerous hero that makes this game less fun to play.

Pretty much came here to say this. He basically killed my interest in the game.
10/09/2017 11:53 PMPosted by tyranidlunch
i have no idea how the most mobile hero in the game has the 2nd lowest win rate in the game.

because noobs flocked to pick him thinking he will improve their crappy winrate and because they got rekt by him in previous games...

every hero looks OP when you're a baddie

a skilled unarmed man can do more damage that any retard with a bazooka...

Knife or sword maybe, but a Bazooka, not so much, he may not hit the proper targets but just firing that thing off is going to !@#$ something up, no idea what but really where ever that thing impacts is gone.

As far as genji's bad win rate, it's because when he's balanced for HL he's an IWIN button in HGC and TL. Genji is a good argument for having 6 bans, 4 before the match starts and 2 mid way though.
10/10/2017 05:29 AMPosted by Daniel
A little off topic though: In term of skillful play from easy to professional, which hero is harder ?
Tracer vs Genji ?

There are two kinds of "hard" heroes in HotS, those that are inherently challenging to play at a high level, such as Alarak, and those that require your team to understand a hero's play style and synergize with it, such as Auriel. I would say that Tracer requires a little more personal skill in order to maximize her kit, where Genji needs a team that performs in such a way to make him shine. Of course, both will be useless in the hands of a potato.

Granted, any hero benefits from having a great team that synergizes well around them, but some definitely more than others.

Edit: This is also why you see Medivh sitting at crap win rates. He isn't inherently all that hard (although harder than most), but it is almost completely up to the rest of the team whether he performs well or not. I hate seeing a good Medivh against me, even more than a good Genji.
He is a character that is so annoying that people counter pick him. When he is counter picked he gets destroyed. Maybe if his kit was more balanced people wouldn't feel the need to counter pick him all the time.
His kit is pretty balanced and the fact that he has tons of counters kinda reinforces it.
Every other hero has at most one survival ability. Genji has three. He has zero skill required kill secures. It's the most obnoxious thing in the entire game to play against. I thoroughly enjoy stomping Genjis.
:thinking:
"Zero skill required"

Lmfao, okay pal.
So...its like actually playing genji in OW
i have no idea how the most mobile hero in the game has the 2nd lowest win rate in the game.

Because Mobility Is Overrated.

Doesn't matter if you can get there if you can't do anything once you're there.
10/10/2017 02:38 AMPosted by Excellus
I wouldn't know. If I have to fill I generally still do pretty well even in roles I'm unfamiliar with. I'm just not dumb. /shrug.

And what Pro Team do you play on?

10/10/2017 12:02 AMPosted by Faellin
Because he has a really high skill cap to play properly, and most people who pick him can't reach that point to make him actually good.

TBH don't really think Genji's skill cap is all that high, I think the true skill cap is in understanding how to apply him correctly to scenarios in a match... People's enthusiasm for Genji will not transfer over to success unless you are playing to his strengths...

10/10/2017 12:45 AMPosted by CaiusCain
Probably because people might forget to do one of many things.

1. Disengage when in danger.

2. Use his Auto attacks in between Q casts.

3. Proper Dragon Blade usage.

4. Shingan for mad burst damage.

5. take a Swift Strike build for when you don't feel safe with Shingan.

6. "Oh I'm Genji, I don't need to poke at people or do damage yet, I just need to
swoop in and get those resets."

7. "Oh I'm Genji, I'm totally ok diving this fort at level 2!" Three seconds later, "I didn't get the reset oh noooooo."

Basically I feel like most people either don't optimize his tools to get the most out of him, or kill themselves with that mobility.
10/10/2017 09:03 AMPosted by MerlinsGhost
10/10/2017 02:38 AMPosted by Excellus
I wouldn't know. If I have to fill I generally still do pretty well even in roles I'm unfamiliar with. I'm just not dumb. /shrug.

And what Pro Team do you play on?

I can fill any role and play most heroes and do okay even outside my areas of expertise. I'm not a pro, i'm just experienced and don't limit myself to one role/a few heroes like the YOLOASSASSINTEAMFIGHTFOREVER players.
Alarak is sitting 44%, despite the fact that hes prolly one of the true hyper-carries of this game

difficult to play but in the right hands is a nightmare type
Genji does little direct damage himself where you're reliant on enemy's poor positioning and teammates to support him. If you're unable to sweep low health kills he's relatively bad all around with little waveclear, also with his mobility and ease to be a monster- he attracts the younger audience often. Getting played by inexperienced Genjis can lower that capability when they'll just suicide into base on unsuccessful Strike.

Many them are not ballsy enough to go into fight too, combined with his nerfs is why Genji's not dominating as before despite getting played often.
10/10/2017 09:24 AMPosted by Zetton
Alarak is sitting 44%, despite the fact that hes prolly one of the true hyper-carries of this game

difficult to play but in the right hands is a nightmare type

he is a dva players 3rd worst nightmare
Those people have defective keyboards and mice.
God knows I see this guy in every game I'm in. Would be content for him to disappear for a while.
What are his master TL win and pick rates?
I believe those are games where his true stats can be found.
I would love all the people spouting nonsense about his high skill cap to explain why his relative win rate is just as low when you filter by either MMR or hero level.

It'd be nice if the people saying this would just admit they don't understand how to interpret data and just choose to ignore it.
It's weird seeing people talk about how balanced certain heroes are when the stats have shown most HotS players are in Silver or Gold, yet converse on these forums like they are all Master or Grandmaster.