Kel'Thuzad still playable?

General Discussion
I'm curious if anyone has had any decent personal success with him as of the most recent nerf.

Previously, I found it pretty rewarding to F (Active for Glacial Spike) into E>E>W>R>Q and 100-0 a high-priority target when properly positioned. Now, the delay on Glacial Spike means that you would have this strange... Gap. Like I'm not sure if it is usable unless you hit someone else with your chain, drop a spike, wait a second, then pull them into it.

Now? Trying to play the big Kel'T feels... Clunky. To use Glacial Spike means you won't surprise anyone anymore, as it was the only ability he had to make a fight winnable when your team had no CC. Chromie does more damage with similar delays at longer range. Is he delegated solely to being more utility than killing power now? As in, no longer a possible QM pick since the quick Spike>Chain>Chain>Root>Boom combo is no longer possible on someone who jumps on you unless you had a pillar up already.
I never used Glacial Spike in the first place...
No, I can't multitask his abilities fast enough to be worth a damn with him.
I'm averaging a 35% win rate with him currently...
He's a blast, and I love his kit, I just can't master it.
I haven't played him myself but have seen tons of success with KT players on my side, mostly with a friend, especially using Glacial spike as they're very good at CC'ing the enemy into it with chains and then using the combo.

Also while playing Auriel learned i can detainment strike them into a Glacial Spike and it will stun allowing even more dmg potential.

So I still think he can be successful.
Have same problem with spike
cant find any changes in patches note :S
Glacial Spike is excellent if enemy run away, pull them back for a team play. Combo still works fine, especially when people fight in narrow areas. His cooldowns are stupidly low. I would be interested to see his winrate in games that go beyond level 20 on Garden Terror. That map KTZ(Kel'Thuzad) can keep spamming his ult on the terror for infinite cooldown resets (terror can't move fast enough to dodge).

Thing I don't like about KTZ? The guy really is a one trick pony. He does his 1 chain spell rotation... that's his plan, nothing else to him.

Kael'thas is more fun imo, he can insta stun, heal himself, regen mana, empower his spells, give himself a shield, deny an area, go pyroblast for a nuke, lane clear quick, etc. There is so much more effective decision making compared to KTZ.
Not sure if people commenting have actually played with the 1 second delay on glacial spike. It was his biggest nerf and makes his combo harder to pull off. I think you need to chain the enemy first, then spike then chain to your spike
09/20/2017 11:06 AMPosted by Razihell
cant find any changes in patches note :S

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21045724#Kelthuzad
Yeah, that's what I figured. Just stuck on the part of staying alive after chaining someone before the spike pops up. First game I was dropping the spike, throwing chain out, and then looking stupid because the chain passed right past the spike before it came up. I imagine in group play he'd be strong still, but he lost his ability to carry in solo QM.

I wouldn't care about the spike's damage itself being cut down to nothing, but the delay is just... Ow.
09/20/2017 11:13 AMPosted by JSKID
I think you need to chain the enemy first, then spike then chain to your spike

Nice post, good way to optimize his spike play.
Thx Madmax

Special note to downvoter on a question, get a life

it's not avialable on the patch note post nothing about today

To catalog all HotS patches in one place, every content patch or exception will be linked and summarized here.

[ 2017 ]

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21033963
September 8 Hotfix

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/21043671
September 5 Kel'Thuzad

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20973152
August 23 Balance
I feel uneasy about these nerfs, the Glacial Spike changes and numbers in particular leaves me with the impression that the Hero Designer and the person responsible for making decisions in regards to balance, do not communicate, and the former's vision and our enjoyment suffers as a result.
Those 'nerfs' are a sneeze at KT's power at most.
I see it more as adjusting his internal balance more than anything.
The only nerf that is rubbing me the wrong way is the Phylactory one because now my OCD is going bat-dung crazy (well, that and I think that the other two are just bad talents, so buffing them was the way to go). >_>
09/20/2017 11:51 AMPosted by KelThuzad
I feel uneasy about these nerfs, the Glacial Spike changes and numbers in particular leaves me with the impression that the Hero Designer and the person responsible for making decisions in regards to balance, do not communicate, and the former's vision and our enjoyment suffers as a result.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in thinking that.

I never really bothered with the spike due to it's setup requiring the enemy team to hang close enough for you to chain them and then enough to hang around for when it bursts it's dmg, instead I just went the nova route. Not sure why they had to nerf the good ult and slightly buff the other, considering the latter one still doesn't do enough dmg to warrant a pick, with it requiring your team to actually be there, vs the other one that does decent dmg, but can still be avoided and in cases like Varian, outright ignored.

I feel like when it comes to nerfing a hero, they see one ult being picked over the other, so they force some game of musical chairs on the user by purposely nerfing the chosen ult, buffing the other and telling you to sit in that chair, or suffer with what you've already chosen. I wish they would just buff the other ult and leave the decent one alone. Their design philosophy ends up clashing with the idea of having fun with what you like choosing for talents, with them saying "you liked this, but really you want to like what wasn't decent to begin with".

I don't mind the nerds, but he doesn't really have a means of mana return like some heroes do, so jacking up the mana costs on multiple abilities means more trips to the fountain/nexus, or "getting gud" and spending as little as possible, but that would mean less contribution to overall siege/hero dmg.
Yep, im fine even if they remove the donate damage of glacial spike, but delay its spawn time... damn.
09/20/2017 11:13 AMPosted by JSKID
Not sure if people commenting have actually played with the 1 second delay on glacial spike. It was his biggest nerf and makes his combo harder to pull off. I think you need to chain the enemy first, then spike then chain to your spike

I played about 100 games with him before the nerf and had a 70% win rate. I tried a few games with the new glacial spike and I can't combo much anymore. I don't think I'll play him again.

The issue was never the speed of his comboing. The issue was the damage of a full combo. For some reason that has not been addressed.
Still worth playing if you can land his combos well. But if your unable to do that, just pick another mage.

Also the glacial spike nerf really hurt the talent. Its really hard to combo with it now. But the increased delay was kind of needed since it came out almost instantly.
He can single handily win team fights.
Never had the chance to play pre-nerf Glacial Spike, but the current Spike is just bad. The delay makes it unusable in most situations.

Meanwhile, I've been going full Q build and positively melting people with The Damned Return. Even against buildings it's 2300 Siege damage every cast.