Silence System Research

General Discussion
12/25/2017 09:28 PMPosted by Hoku
The main problem is that you are assuming that if the people in this self-selected set say their silence was not justified, it wasn't justified. Without an unbiased method to determine what percentage was actually justified, a decent sampling method that doesn't rely on self-selection, and controls based on accounts that weren't silenced, your base data will be dreadfully skewed.
Let's hope the investigation isn't rejected by the HotS research community then. OP needs to prepare for peer review, beyond that of those who expect a particular result out of it.
12/25/2017 09:28 PMPosted by Hoku
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Right now I'm just gathering reddit posts and forum posts pertaining to the topic and contains photo evidence. I'm thinking of using google forms to make a poll on reddit to see if I can get a good sample size of how many people were silenced, whether or not they think it was justified, and any images or text evidence they can provide. I also want to include questions on how many accounts they have because I believe the silence system is a big part of the current amount of smurfing in heroes of the storm.

The main problem is that you are assuming that if the people in this self-selected set say their silence was not justified, it wasn't justified. Without an unbiased method to determine what percentage was actually justified, a decent sampling method that doesn't rely on self-selection, and controls based on accounts that weren't silenced, your base data will be dreadfully skewed.

In my opinion, the terrible issues with placements and MMR, and not just in this season, is much more likely to be the root cause of the majority of the smurf accounts.

Really don't know why this was downvoted. I can go on a racist rant in my next 10 games, get silenced, post a sob story saying: "I was silenced 5 times, all were overtuned. Now I'm silenced a 6th time for no reason and they won't overtune it" and make OPs data set.

This thing doesn't prove anything.
The most hilarious thing is : when you submit a ticket appealing a silence Blizzard gm would reply this :

"I encourage you to share your thoughts on the penalty system, particularly any constructive feedback on how you would like to see changes implemented, on our official forums."

EVERYTHING was already said in the topics . And plus they dont react not even once.

In comparation

https://gyazo.com/d5e9bc537a944d9bdfa7e5d35f3a9d22

Check this photo . A fun topic full of jokes and without any impartiality
or without suggestion to improve the game or solve problems
. Blizzard ,of course , need to participate . But in situation who need trully seriousness they cant show any opinion and remain quiet .
12/24/2017 02:03 PMPosted by Reinhardt
12/24/2017 01:31 PMPosted by Mordecai
What is the goal of this research? I mean half of these are just retelings with no actual prof of anything.

In terms of improving the system, has anyone considered adding some sort of punishment to people who have submited false reports people instead of trying to stop the current system?

The goal of this research is to gather data into how the system works, is the system effective, and can it be easily abused. Then I plan to make a megathread so that I can present this to blizzard and hopefully we can come to some sort of discussion so that we can fix the system.

Let’s assume for the sake of argument that you prove your point, what do you think ought to be done to fix the system and make it better?
12/28/2017 08:30 PMPosted by FoxBlade
Let’s assume for the sake of argument that you prove your point, what do you think ought to be done to fix the system and make it better?
Anything?
- take number of games played into account
- consequences upon abusing the report system
- prevent reporting other players without available communication
- limit number of reports based on activity
I have never been silence and I can get somewhat testy at times. If you are getting silences it's not because of false reports or because there is something broken about the system. It's because of your behavior and the sheer number of times you have been reported for it.
12/29/2017 06:21 AMPosted by zenasprime
I have never been silence and I can get somewhat testy at times. If you are getting silences it's not because of false reports or because there is something broken about the system. It's because of your behavior and the sheer number of times you have been reported for it.

You have not be murdered either. And sometimes you tend to walk alone at night. If someone got murdered, it was because of his behaviour... He clearly did something wrong.
12/29/2017 06:45 AMPosted by KillerBunny
12/29/2017 06:21 AMPosted by zenasprime

You have not be murdered either. And sometimes you tend to walk alone at night. If someone got murdered, it was because of his behaviour... He clearly did something wrong.

Except you are not being murdered. You are acting out in game enough that you are generating an excessive amount of reports for it. It's not because the system is rigged against you, it's because your behavior is toxic to enough people that they report you.
12/29/2017 07:39 AMPosted by zenasprime
your behavior is toxic to enough people that they report you
What isn't toxic enough to get reported for? I got silenced twice with chat turned off, EU CS were lazy to investigate my issues, closed my tickets without explanation.

I don't tell that I was always silenced unjustly. Sometimes I deserved and I accepted it, but somethimes I didn't and I couldn't ever succefully appeal a single silence due to ignorance or mumbo jumbos like: I don't think that you were toxic but it's not me who decides what is toxic, that's the community and they reported you, your silence penalty is upheld.
12/29/2017 07:39 AMPosted by zenasprime
12/29/2017 06:45 AMPosted by KillerBunny

Except you are not being murdered. You are acting out in game enough that you are generating an excessive amount of reports for it. It's not because the system is rigged against you, it's because your behavior is toxic to enough people that they report you.

You don't know anything about my behaviour. If we go by the behaviour we display on the forums, you are CONSISTENTLY more toxic than myself, so you have no right to accuse me.
got silenced, was playing non meta hero (hammer and winning a lot too) , absolute joke
The automatic silence system needs desperate attention... people abuse the reporting system and will do it anytime they disagree with someone... Reports happen for the stupidest reasons...and the more you play the game, the more likely you are to get silenced because of people abusing the reporting system.

It's hard to be a loyal player and not get silenced.

You don't know anything about my behaviour. If we go by the behaviour we display on the forums, you are CONSISTENTLY more toxic than myself, so you have no right to accuse me.

We can deduce that your behavior is inappropriate due to your admission of being silenced.
12/29/2017 12:17 PMPosted by zenasprime

We can deduce that your behavior is inappropriate due to your admission of being silenced.

Guilty unless proven innocent?

So if someone gets jailed in North Korea, we can deduce that they did something morally wrong by the fact that they got jailed.
12/29/2017 12:17 PMPosted by zenasprime
You know just because I have a silence icon on my avatar half of my matches start with toxicity toward me. These innocent souls used to tell me harsher things than I ever said and got silenced for.

So if someone gets jailed in North Korea, we can deduce that they did something morally wrong by the fact that they got jailed.

No. This isn't a court of law. It's your local, privately owned, swimming pool. The other swimmers have been complaining about your behavior and the lifeguards have caught you splashing and dunking the other kids in the pool one too many times. Even after being told not to do that you continue to pull the same stunts over and over again.

You're seriously trying to compare being silenced in this game to being jailed in North Korea? Evil Knievel couldn't make that leap.

OP, here's something for your research. It's overwatch, but still relevant in that both games use an automated report system and have similar issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BphrPqBRUPk

Shows a spot on example of what's actually behind most of the "I didn't do anything" or "It was just one incident" threads.
Dont let this topic die . This is way too important to let him ignored
12/29/2017 02:02 PMPosted by zenasprime

No. This isn't a court of law. It's your local, privately owned, swimming pool. The other swimmers have been complaining about your behavior and the lifeguards have caught you splashing and dunking the other kids in the pool one too many times. Even after being told not to do that you continue to pull the same stunts over and over again.

So it doesn't matter if the complaints are valid, it just matters that the customers are complaining and that the private owner decides to take action one way or another.

Actual Justice does not factor into the process.

So this is basically tantamount to kicking someone out of the pool because they are black and a large enough portion of the other pool goers reported them.

The pool owner just looks at the number of reports, and not the actual context, and just kicks out the black guy. Because the community decides what is toxic.

SeemsGood
12/29/2017 02:06 PMPosted by B00MSTICK

You're seriously trying to compare being silenced in this game to being jailed in North Korea? Evil Knievel couldn't make that leap.

OP, here's something for your research. It's overwatch, but still relevant in that both games use an automated report system and have similar issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BphrPqBRUPk

Shows a spot on example of what's actually behind most of the "I didn't do anything" or "It was just one incident" threads.

It's called an analogy.

It's meant to illustrate that a conviction does not automatically imply guilt if the system is broke or abusable.