Voice Chat, is it really that important?

General Discussion
OK so everyone knows that Voice Chat is currently on stand-by in the PTR but it will not be added in the next Patch.

I knew this from before but again, it got me thinking... Is it really that important? Do we really need this Voice Chat?

Currently the toxicity has been shown to have increased in regards to past years of Heroes of the Storm history. More muted players etc.

So right now toxicity is currently being restrained by the fact that you have to type and that there is no All Chat. How does having a Voice Chat sounds like a good idea when with just having a type-Chat the toxicity is as bad as it is.

What about people that don't have mics?

Ok so the reasons I've heard that most people think we need Voice Chat is because:

a)Premades: While I don't see how this affects Hero League(since it is a solo-queue mode) I think most people refer this issue to QM or Unranked. I don't really have much of an issue with premades myself. But then again that could only be me.

b)Better comms with team: Again, we have lots of toxicity at hand right now. Isn't even worst having 2 or multiple people arguing on comms? What am I gonna do? I know muting exists but it then negates the whole purpose of having a comms system.

I am interested in your thoughts. Let me remark that this is only MY OPINION.
01/29/2018 01:08 PMPosted by AlternateZ
What about people that don't have mics?

Some people will always be missing some essential. I think like 60% of this playerbase has no monitor or it's severely cracked given they can't seem to use minimap. Their positioning in battles is result of dysfunctional mouse or the bad monitor. The poor usage of abilities must be because their keyboards, mouse or monitor isn't working. Yet our heroes aren't controlled by AI all the time despite in many cases it would be twice as good as the player due to these constraints they have in hardware(can't imagine any other reason why they would play so horribly since clearly they are of around same skill-level since they are in master!).

Isn't even worst having 2 or multiple people arguing on comms? What am I gonna do? I know muting exists but it then negates the whole purpose of having a comms system.

Do the same as with text? Mute the problem children, no difference there really.

a)Premades: While I don't see how this affects Hero League(since it is a solo-queue mode) I think most people refer this issue to QM or Unranked. I don't really have much of an issue with premades myself. But then again that could only be me.

It helps you coordinate even as solo players. It also makes "orders" much easier to understand so you don't have Johanna go do camp instead of the GM when you ping something. Even in general it's much easier to give directions and ask for stuff on voice compared to text which takes time.

Personally I'm all for voice chat. It should have been implemented ages ago.
Why not ask a League of losers player how well team speak was implemented in that game? I think there lies the answer to the question.
To be honest, i disagree with your initial premise that there is alot of toxicity going on.
I play HotS since the beginning. Every few months there are topics on the forum about increasing toxicity. But i think it never really has increased. Maybe its dependant on region and rank, but i have never experienced much toxicity in the game and i still dont.

Also, noone is forced to join the voice chat. So i really dont see any disadvantage to having it.
Well blizz said voice is optional. I remember them saying you can select to never join it. Chat can be an improvement or a horrible experience

I will use it and see how it is, can't be worse than xbox/ps.
I'm testing it, it works like Overwatch's voice chat.

Opt in to join, parties have a separate voice chat, can leave at any time through the tab menu.

Very easy to use, very simple, and effective.
01/29/2018 01:53 PMPosted by DigitaLegacy
Well blizz said voice is optional. I remember them saying you can select to never join it

There is a window on your screen when the game starts which gives you the option to decide within 30 seconds to join voice chat or refuse to join.
It all just depends on how players treat the people who choose not to join. If they continue to use pings so that those people continue to get the necessary info, then I have no problems with it, but if they are suddenly treated as outcasts then I will have an issue.
01/29/2018 02:04 PMPosted by Flinx
It all just depends on how players treat the people who choose not to join. If they continue to use pings so that those people continue to get the necessary info, then I have no problems with it, but if they are suddenly treated as outcasts then I will have an issue.

If people want to win, they will try to give relevant information to the players that are not in the voice chat.

And if you have teammates who dont want to win... well then you are screwed anyway xD
I will probably opt out. My son likes to watch me play sometimes (he's a big Murky fan, and he loves Artanis' ultimate laser). I don't want him to hear the kind of stuff I imagine will be said by my teammates. To be honest, I don't really want to hear it myself.

I worry I will miss out on team communication and will hurt my team as a result.
There's definitely an advantage to having voice chat for teams who fully participate in it. Having the feature will generally degrade communication for teams who don't have all (or at least most) members opt into the team voice chat, though. Some people in voice will inevitably neglect to type messages they otherwise would have sent in text.
1. it's not next patch.

2. It's only for TL.
01/29/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Candy
1. it's not next patch.

2. It's only for TL.
Where does it say it's only for TL?
Ppl who don't want/like it are free not to use it.
The community is toxic enough, and with this voice chat being pushed it's going to get worse with people being even more toxic that you're not in voice. So here's my answer to this big debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhK6dPj-O-c
I bet my experience will largely decline with the addition of voice chat.

Either I opt out and break up team communication as a result, or I deal with people who don’t know how to talk to girls, much less cooperate with them. I’m hopeful that most people won’t be an issue, but it seems like a lose lose situation for me. Still, I understand that I’m in the minority on this so it’s just more of a personal problem that I and a few others have to look forward to. :/
01/29/2018 02:58 PMPosted by CarnivorFox

Either I opt out and break up team communication as a result, or I deal with people who don’t know how to talk to girls, much less cooperate with them. I’m hopeful that most people won’t be an issue, but it seems like a lose lose situation for me. Still, I understand that I’m in the minority on this so it’s just more of a personal problem that I and a few others have to look forward to. :/

Same boat.
I can only hope that Voice Chat will be largely rejected on EU due to language barriers, but if not then I might even get reported out of competitive play for not participating in it. Or reported because I do... for other childish reasons.
It wouldn't even bother me that much if it would just decrease my chances to win, but worst case I'm going to get reported out of competitive if I turn it off.
01/29/2018 03:20 PMPosted by Starmie

Same boat.
I can only hope that Voice Chat will be largely rejected on EU due to language barriers, but if not then I might even get reported out of competitive play for not participating in it. Or reported because I do... for other childish reasons.
It wouldn't even bother me that much if it would just decrease my chances to win, but worst case I'm going to get reported out of competitive if I turn it off.

If reporting people for not using voice chat becomes a thing that Blizzard actually takes action upon, I will be VERY disappointed in them. I was told that we could turn it off if we want, and that better be true.

Just talk to people like you normally do, but make it deeper to sound like Zarya or Sonya, and nobody will mess with you.
01/29/2018 02:51 PMPosted by Copypastable
01/29/2018 02:41 PMPosted by Candy
1. it's not next patch.

2. It's only for TL.
Where does it say it's only for TL?

where does it say its for both modes?

btw, I brought ur meme over to the hearthstone forums.