So we're still radio silent on this "Gem Only" thing huh?

General Discussion
I'm not the only one still butthurt about this "Gem only" skins nonsense, am I? Especially when characters are launching with ONLY those skins, and because you can't just buy one bloody tint and need to buy all 5 for $30, and since we're still doing it now with Maiev.

I have YET to see a single person with Dark Queen Alexstrasza, Blood Elf Hanzo, or Fel Reaver Blaze. Not a one. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. <1.
Has ANYBODY actually bought these? The only pictures or videos I've seen with them have been in try mode.

I will give you $5 or whatever for a single tint. I will not give you $30 for 5 tints. I don't want 5 tints.
Hell I'd be fine with them being gem only for a month or whatever and then able to be purchased with shards, even if it's like, triple the current legendary amount.

I still refuse to believe that this is the solution to "People wanted to buy skins lol" crap we were told.

This either has to be changed in some manner, or you have to start launching heroes with more than (Base x5) and (Skin x5) so there's actually stuff for them in lootboxes outside of voicelines.
01/29/2018 05:15 PMPosted by Signum
I have YET to see a single person with Dark Queen Alexstrasza, Blood Elf Hanzo, or Fel Reaver Blaze.

I've seen all 3 of these multiple times.
01/29/2018 05:34 PMPosted by Vekkul
I have YET to see a single person with Dark Queen Alexstrasza, Blood Elf Hanzo, or Fel Reaver Blaze.

I've seen all 3 of these multiple times.

I can safely say, with no hyperbole what-so-ever, that the only time I've seen those skins outside of the store has been in webms posted elsewhere. Flat out. Nowhere else.
There has been a Hanzo and Blaze in practically every single game I've played since they've released, give or take a few. I've seen more Mecha Tyrael and Mecha Rehgar than all three combined.
Let's put it this way (even though I do hate the whole thing about Gems only crap).

It's there, and now there to stay because they tested the waters with it the first time with Alex I believe, and well ... guess what? It. Worked.

We don't have the numbers they do internally, obviously. But the other obvious, crystal clear part is that if it didn't work for them financially, they would have changed their methodology or simply would have stopped doing it, period. The reason - to reiterate - that they then went on to do it with apparently every heroes that followed, is because enough people out there STILL bought those bundles regardless of how ridiculously highly priced they are. Because of THOSE whales Blizzard s'happy panda as panda can be happy.

As long as people we're not aware of ourselves keep buying that crap, well, that crap will continue to happen. It's there Because. It. Works. It's really that simple. And, hey, it's just cosmetics, right? So we're cool (yeah that's sarcasm, feels like I have to be specific with that part just in case).
01/29/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Lyrondor
Let's put it this way (even though I do hate the whole thing about Gems only crap).

It's there, and now there to stay because they tested the waters with it the first time with Alex I believe, and well ... guess what? It. Worked.

We don't have the numbers they do internally, obviously. But the other obvious, crystal clear part is that if it didn't work for them financially, they would have changed their methodology or simply would have stopped doing it, period. The reason - to reiterate - that they then went on to do it with apparently every heroes that followed, is because enough people out there STILL bought those bundles regardless of how ridiculously highly priced they are. Because of THOSE whales Blizzard s'happy panda as panda can be happy.

As long as people we're not aware of ourselves keep buying that crap, well, that crap will continue to happen. It's there Because. It. Works. It's really that simple. And, hey, it's just cosmetics, right? So we're cool (yeah that's sarcasm, feels like I have to be specific with that part just in case).

Like, I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. Don't get me wrong. I'm not purely complaining in a "I want free !@#$ give me that!" manner. I've bought skins, both in 1.0 and in 2.0. I'm no stranger to giving Blizzard and the HoTS team my money for things I want.

But if they were financially a good idea, should I not be seeing these skins? Like, at least once? Maybe even twice? Rather than flat out not at all.
Would it not give people greater incentive to buy the skins if you could just buy a tint at your leisure instead, for a price cheaper than flat out $30 as well?
Most of my indignation at the practice itself comes from the fact that this was their response, seemingly, to people asking for the ability to just buy stuff with gems. I'll admit, I was part of that group. Previously our choices were:

• Buy skin with shards.
  • Get lucky in lootbox.
  • Wait anywhere from one week to literally whenever Blizzard feels like it should be put in the "Featured Items" list.
  • And that was ridiculous. I know that many people like myself wanted the ability to just skip the waiting bit, not...whatever this nonsense is.

For prices keep in mind that I'm speaking as a Canadian, so I'm not sure if they're more reasonable in USD compared to CAD. But up here they're legitimately like $30 and there's no bloody way I'm paying HALF OF A GAME for a bloody skin.
    My friends all routinely play this game as well. Most of them gave Blizzard money pre-2.0 for skins. A few did it post 2.0. I know for a fact that some of them did it for the $15 Legendaries such as the Infested Tychus skin. But now? Not a chance. They look at the bundle prices and just snort and save their money.
    I've seen the skins a few times, but I personally don't have the money to burn on these bundles. I suppose Blizzard has to be making bank on the bundles thanks to the whales as previously mentioned, because my poor wallet sure can't handle spending 30 dollars a bundle for a single hero. For me to fork over that kind of cash, it would have to be for some skins that I really really like.

Personally I feel like they can keep the gem bundles, but they definitely need to have them for individual sale for a standard gem price as well. For the people that just want a specific tint or can't afford to buy the whole bundle. The less wealthy players enjoy cosmetics too ya know. lol
    01/29/2018 05:51 PMPosted by Cerridwen
    Personally I feel like they can keep the gem bundles, but they definitely need to have them for individual sale for a standard gem price as well.

This is a reasonable compromise and I'd happily stop complaining if they did this.
    01/29/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Signum
    01/29/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Lyrondor

Like, I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. Don't get me wrong. I'm not purely complaining in a "I want free !@#$ give me that!" manner. I've bought skins, both in 1.0 and in 2.0. I'm no stranger to giving Blizzard and the HoTS team my money for things I want.

But if they were financially a good idea, should I not be seeing these skins? Like, at least once? Maybe even twice? Rather than flat out not at all.
    Would it not give people greater incentive to buy the skins if you could just buy a tint at your leisure instead, for a price cheaper than flat out $30 as well?
    Most of my indignation at the practice itself comes from the fact that this was their response, seemingly, to people asking for the ability to just buy stuff with gems. I'll admit, I was part of that group. Previously our choices were:

• Buy skin with shards.
  • Get lucky in lootbox.
  • Wait anywhere from one week to literally whenever Blizzard feels like it should be put in the "Featured Items" list.
  • And that was ridiculous. I know that many people like myself wanted the ability to just skip the waiting bit, not...whatever this nonsense is.

For prices keep in mind that I'm speaking as a Canadian, so I'm not sure if they're more reasonable in USD compared to CAD. But up here they're legitimately like $30 and there's no bloody way I'm paying HALF OF A GAME for a bloody skin.
    My friends all routinely play this game as well. Most of them gave Blizzard money pre-2.0 for skins. A few did it post 2.0. I know for a fact that some of them did it for the $15 Legendaries such as the Infested Tychus skin. But now? Not a chance. They look at the bundle prices and just snort and save their money.

Believe me, I completely agree. I hate their bullcrap but what can we do other than not supporting it? I already do 'my part' by not buying their bundle. For me, too, the very concept of giving money for something I agree to pay for isn't the problem per se. I WOULD want to give them say something like $3 or $4 for ONE skin I'd want, or maybe $5 or $6 for a Legendary skin with new visuals and voice change, etc.

For some reasons, however, they don't WANT to do that. It's not because they can't. It's because their current bundles DO sell enough for them to keep doing it that way. Now, of course, we could argue that if they were to ALSO allow us to buy skins individually that it might even increase their income, right? I mean SOME whales would still want to buy the bundles, in addition to NEW income coming from people who would then also buy skins individually on top of that. Sounds logical yeah? That's what I THINK would happen.

However, internally, I don't know how they think but I suppose that they calculated their move to do it that way, and that way only for now. They have to know something or HOPE for something we're not aware of by doing it that way. The one thing I DO fear is that - for NOW - they seem to be limiting the Gems-only thing to Skins, right? Well... do you see where I'm going with this? They might still just be testing waters but I would NOT be surprised if one day they pop up with a Gems-only Announcer, or Gems-only Mounts.

So yeah... money talks, always. Always. (not necessarily logic, mind you)

As for seeing the Gems-only skins, you've simply not seen them yourself perhaps. Well that's an isolated case just as there might be others here and there still at this point sure, it can happen. I myself have seen those Alex Queen skins around a few times. It's not often though, no. Maybe I don't know... 5 or 6 times so far since Alex has been released? It's not much but I have seen them yeah. Same with Hanzo's latest skins, in a similar frequency.

I just want to say this again though in case Blizzard peeps read this: I, and MANY others here do not actually have anything against the very idea itself of wanting to buy something directly with money, or buying Gems with money. The problem is the 'fairness' of the current methodology, it sucks (hear that one in Gazlowe's voice). If you were to give us CHOICES for individual skins we'd complain a lot less. Sure, understandably a LOT of other people would still want the option to CRAFT those with Shards and YES me too, I'd like that. But I would NOT have a problem either just directly buying say... the Ice Queen Alex skin directly for maybe $4 or something like that. You (Blizzard) would then get that money that otherwise you wouldn't have had, win win situation huh?

Nah, nah ok it's not win win though, fine then. No money for ya, since that's what you apparently prefer. Pretty strange coming from... oh you know, a business? To each their own I guess.
    I buy tf out of individual skins, not the entire package. Waste of money.
    I'll be honest, I am one of the people who bought the Alexstrasza Hero bundle using gems I've saved up over the past year. I mean, I could not pass up owning an actual dragon hero. And I think her bundle had the only Legendary skin for new heroes to date.

However, I have not bought any of the new gem-only bundles after Alex. 1. They're all underwhelming and ugly. 2. I've been one of the fiercest opponents to the gem-only changes. Still am. I'm just relieved the post-Alex gem-only skins are ugly. Definitely not worth the price tag. >_<
    What i hate is that these skins while expensive aint a leg skin. At least they dont look like one. Blaze one is the most obvious one while alex is "fine" due to dragon form being different. Just looked at maeiv one and if her skills dont look diffrent then its at best just a epic skin.

Making it a leg skin aint even that hard. Just use chaos space marines from W40k as a template. Change his flames to green. Change oil to have skulls in it,make a unique bunker with lots of spikes and have the other ulti have a unique AOE look with green or purple gas. This aint much work but will make a skin FAR better making more ppl want it.

For maeiv change the color of ulti and add some chains on both ulti(red prison with chains around it while the aoe ulti has red maeiv clones with chaines binding each clone to the ground + they look like her new look). Make the phantom more menacing. Thing like this.

Same to hanzo. Make Q look like little dragons.(hanzo is kinda hard to invent since his skin fits his kit extremely well).

You get my point. For these skins do something extra to make em more appealing.You want em to sell. Well make em so that they look different then original.

I aint sure how hard these changes are to implement but they cant be that hard for a competent game dev(and blizz sure is).
    launch skins are typically not the best to offer so I wouldn't cry about them anyways.
    The only reason people bought the Alex one was because Blizz gave her a super deep V-neck and mashed her !@#$ together.

But if you want a solution to the issue its to shame anyone you see with them in game.
    a huge part of the problem is people being too cheap to drop 5 dollars here and there on the game.
    I got Fel reaver Blaze as it was only 600 gems, which seems like a reasonable price for a skin.

Alex's skin is 2000 however which is nutts.
    Or maybe it really doesn't sell well, but removing it would be an admission of incompetence and maybe they can't have that. /shrug.

I think those skins also becoming acquirable through shards after 2 or 3 hero releases would be perfectly fine.

And yes, the "buy all 5 or none" thing is also really stupid. They probably would make more if people could just buy the 1 or 2 tints they really wanted.
    Definitely think that over time these skins should become purchasable with shards. Also think that there should be options for buying specific skins, not only the entire bundle. They could even do a week or two of just the bundle being available, and then make individual options purchasable. I think the one thing that everyone can agree on is, having these skins just delegated to being bundle only forever, and having every release hero skin be that way is ridiculous.
    I have YET to see a single person with Dark Queen Alexstrasza, Blood Elf Hanzo, or Fel Reaver Blaze. Not a one. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. <1.
    Has ANYBODY actually bought these? The only pictures or videos I've seen with them have been in try mode.

I've only seen one player with the Alextrasza skins, the price of these is absolutely exorbitant, they don't even include the hero.

I will give you $5 or whatever for a single tint. I will not give you $30 for 5 tints. I don't want 5 tints.
    Hell I'd be fine with them being gem only for a month or whatever and then able to be purchased with shards, even if it's like, triple the current legendary amount.

Likewise, I only like one of the Alextrasza tints, the rest I find to be ugly. Why would I ever put down over $20 for a cosmetic bundle where I only like a single tint in the bundle? Before 2.0 I used to buy a bundle here and there, but they were mostly better designed and better value.

If you must make these skins cash only, please give us to the choice to buy individual skins as well as the bundles.
    I'm not the only one still butthurt about this "Gem only" skins nonsense, am I?

Just don't buy the skins and Blizzard will realize eventually. You can only express your opinion with your wallet in this game. Don't spend money on those things is the best you can do. Don't even buy them with the free gems you get ingame.
    I got the Blood Elf Hanzo pack, had just enough spare gems to buy the skin pack.
    Believe this was while it was discounted (release) where you could also get Hanzo included, though I bought him with gold coins prior.
    Saw the Dark Queen Alexstrasza only once, and no Blaze yet.

I also dislike that you must buy the whole pack and cannot buy single skins.
    So far I have only used the blue tint of Hanzo's elf skin.

Atleast with Alexstrasza there were 3 different skins (incl. base), all others only 2 (incl. base).

Quite a shame.