Too many Straight White Male heroes >.<

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
01/14/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Verlore
Yeah. Pity though. Blizzard seems to be moving in the direction of a more inclusive approach. One of the developers for Heroes of the Storm was interviewed a few years ago regarding the attire for female characters, and he said that he gained a new perspective as his daughter started growing older - scantily dressed female women who are always a specific kind of body type became problematic to him. Seemed to be a very progressive position at the time, very forward thinking on the part of people at Blizzard.

It was Chris Metzen and he retired.And no I disagree, Chris Metzen doesn't get to decide what female character should wear and how decent they would be by the outfit they wear.They might wear skin tight mini-skirts and it wouldn't make them any less decent.

By that logic , they just might aswell wear Burka and Hijab, Let's play as Hijab helal Tracer , Hijab Jaina, Hijab Zagara?? Is that it? Would they be decent and moral then? Guess we need Hijab skins everyone, yeah that makes sense.
01/14/2018 11:49 AMPosted by MekkaGoo
Several people have asked for this to happen and we always get downvoted. I would very much like for them to be more inclusive with the LGBT community but even that opinion seems to just be hated without good reason.

Because it's a stupid idea. There are, what, supposedly 37 different genders? Which ones get coverage? And how many of which need to be "represented" in a way that isn't accused of being considered tokenism? And how about each race? OP went on about too many "straight white males," so I'm guessing race has to be represented in this. So we'll need a black gender-fluid demisexual or whatever crap they're making up now, and then a white gender-fluid demisexual, and a Native American, Asian, Middle-Eastern, etc. You have to represent everybody equally, after all.

But we also have to illustrate it in the game. Seeing as how this is a game that just has characters mindlessly killing each other (see also: Overwatch) they'd have to bring it up in the Hero Spotlight. So in the blurb about where the hero comes from, their past and their accomplishments, they can add in something like "So-and-so also identifies as a male even though xe was born with female genitalia. Xe also prefers dating biological females but sometimes will moonlight with biological males and eunuchs. Xis Q ability is..."

<removed for toxicity>
01/14/2018 12:11 PMPosted by joshvector
So we'll need a black gender-fluid demisexual

That's actually a good idea.
What your asking for is pointless for this type of game.

It would fit to talk about character traits in a story rich game like an rpg or adventure.

Here, you're just spam pushing an agenda.
Did they stop teaching biology in school? Or maybe they just never finished
This is a MOBA. The main point of the game is battles and gameplay and not sexual orientation or gender or races. Also this game collects characters from already existing games. Most of them are made years ago when this wasn't considered at all as problem. So satisfying this need is hard and unneccessary.

Ppl who care about race are more like racist than liberals. Same with sexual orientation. Ppl like these, like you act like those ppl are different. Who cares about these?
I'm not against lgbt+ Heroes if they're interested by kit/gameplay/gamestyle. But I'm against the idea to add a Hero to be politically "correct"
01/14/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Karabars
This is a MOBA. The main point of the game is battles and gameplay and not sexual orientation or gender or races. Also this game collects characters from already existing games. Most of them are made years ago when this wasn't considered at all as problem. So satisfying this need is hard and unneccessary.

Ppl who care about race are more like racist than liberals. Same with sexual orientation. Ppl like these, like you act like those ppl are different. Who cares about these?
I'm not against lgbt+ Heroes if they're interested by kit/gameplay/gamestyle. But I'm against the idea to add a Hero to be politically "correct"

There's nothing wrong with promoting diversity..
01/14/2018 12:22 PMPosted by MekkaGoo
If it's meaningless and forceful it is.
Most of the characters/Heroes don't have a canon orientation so ppl can think about them whatever they want. And their orientation adds nothing to their lore and it's hardly visible/noticable in a game like HotS ("Garrosh embraced the Void Powers just as he embraced his true sexual orientation."?). The gay character should be visibly gay? How? Why? I thought they look like anyone else.
01/14/2018 12:14 PMPosted by Edgelord
Thats very close minded gender is on a spectrum its been proven by science.
Gender is not on a spectrum, it's biological. Your gender is based on your chromosomes. Your sexual orientation is which is on a spectrum.
OVERWATCH FORUMS B E G O N E
Why not just pretend if it really bothers you, and it shouldn’t. The gender preference is very rarely brought up because it doesn’t matter. There is very little backstory to these characters if anything.

Are Zarya and Hammer lesbian? Don’t know. Just because they tend to be masculine doesn’t mean they have to be. Who cares what a video game characters sex life is “supposed to be”

If you play the game I would think you can just use your imagination on what they may be like in a real life setting.

If blizzard releases a blatant homosexual hero it could come across as try hard and pandering.

I would rather they focus on making fun heroes and improving gameplay. This is no RPG!
01/14/2018 12:17 PMPosted by Narha
Did they stop teaching biology in school? Or maybe they just never finished

They dislike facts.
Anyone else smirking at the irony that someone with the handle incubus is forcing sex into a game about fighting and blowing things up?
01/14/2018 12:22 PMPosted by MekkaGoo
01/14/2018 12:18 PMPosted by Karabars

There is when they do something solely to have a token minority. It's bad writing.
Why would you make a character whose entire identity is their sexuality? That's incredibly insulting to the LBGTQ community, telling them the only thing important about them is their gender.

Out of curiosity, why are you declaring that all of the characters(or a vast majority) are heterosexual? Ignoring the ones that don't have gender to begin with(Any of the zerg, the angels, the demons, the completely inhuman), a vast majority of Blizzard's character's gender identities never come up in any way. Tass could have been born(or however Protoss do it) female. Or their equivalent. Artanis could have had a crush on him. We have no idea because it has never been relevant to their stories.
Of the human(Or formally so) characters we have we've got(ignoring bisexual tendencies and gender identities for obvious reasons) 7 likely straight people(Have kids, love triangles(Royalty are required to have kids as part of their duties, so those 2 are not certain)) and 1 lesbian(Has a girlfriend).
Of the elves, we've got 3. 2 as a couple and one creepy stalker who really needs to get over it.
Protoss? Nada. Never comes up, ever.
Zerg? They don't do that sort of thing. Ever. It's not part of their species, even for the few who are sapient
Demons? Not even remotely human psychologically. Assigning gender labels to them would be like doing it to a fish. A zombie fish.
Angels? Same as demons.
Dragons? Alexstrada is straight, probably. Brightwing is Brightwing.
Ogres? Cho'Gal's predilections never come up. Are likely horrifying regardless.
Orcs? Less familiar with that, Thrall had a wife.
Pandas? Chen is unknown and Lili is a small child.
Dwarfs? Never comes up. Murdin has no kids, which is very strange for royalty.
Trolls? Never comes up
Giant beetles? He's a bug. Good luck determining a bug's gender and preferences.
Elementals? See demons.

So out of 75 characters you have 12 that are known to be straight. And 1 not. And 63 unknowns or inapplicable. And 12 white males, stretching the definition for the undead. Which is really good given that the base setting for Warcraft and Diablo are generic medieval Britain land. Not much racial diversity possible without easy long distance travel.
Ugh