Consistent Negative Personal Rank Adjustment for Master Tier Players

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
We’ve been seeing a number of reports of high-end players consistently receiving negative personal adjustment points at the end of games and wanted to give some visibility into why it was occurring. With the changes to matchmaking that were rolled out this season, the curve which determines how many players can be in each rank ended up a bit flatter than normal, pushing more players into the extremes, making more players than usual Bronze or Master tier. The system has been self-correcting, providing positive points for players in the Bronze tier and negative points for players in the Master tier, to normalize the distribution.

While this behavior was returning things to normal, we agree that consistently receiving negative personal rank adjustments feels bad so we have disabled the self-correct behavior. Instead, we’ll allow the system to correct the distribution at the start of the next season roll with the standard normalization done every season. At that time, the extra players currently in Bronze will place into Silver and the extra players currently in Master will place into Diamond. Thank you to the players who helped us identify the cause of these adjustments. We apologize for the confusion and frustration that these adjustments have caused.
I was gold and got this negative PRA to obelivion. Not even talking of teamate i was match with

So being gold punish to silver will get me match with Bronze next season.... are you kidding ?

So this confirm no reset or removal of QM MMR seeding to League..... Let force player to start smurf to get accuraly place after they learn the game and spend money on their first account they used since forever for WOW (we had to merge WOW with Bnet account). Nice job, customer really appreciate that. Pretty sure you will get stupid players to smurf and spend more money in this game but on the run run you will lose Blizzard fan for year like i do. Im with you since Diablo 1 and the way you act is just scandalous. Im the kind of players that got money, not a kid. I could speend more money in your game but now its over. I hope many will do the same. GG Activision

Bye
You need to stop doing the master1000 placement thing. That will help you maintain the normal distribution. Diamond 3 max was good. Really skilled players don’t mind to play few more games to get out of diamond. I am just wondering if those people passed their probably theory.
Highly Rated
Please redistribute ranks as they should be. It seems like the current system is for feel-good diamonds.

Gm less than 1% smallest
Master top 1%
Diamond 7%
Plat 17%
Gold 20%
Silver 35% (avg benchmark, largest group)
Bronze 20%

Large Edit:
And please stop catering to people with PBMMR. It will not work. MMR has been proven to work for years and years in MOBAs. You're putting your own unpolished, untested touch to cater to complaints and completely dropping the ball as a business. You have completely destroyed an entire ranked season in order to prevent edgy forum posts.

Move away from 200 rp as a baseline per game. It should be greatly variable based on the team you face. Not +/-20ish. A GM team vs a Bronze team should get something like 10 points, and the Bronze team would only lose 10. Not 180.

Remove Rank Points entirely. Hidden MMR makes no sense at all.

Lastly, for the health of your own game, change QM to Blind Pick (Small Edit: NO BANS). Another game mode proven to work better than any other, in terms of balance and fairness. Keep the name QM to placate everyone.
The season of never ending fail rolls on.

So Travis, what do you think actually feels worse? Getting negative points after every match or every match being determined by who got more players placed far from where they should be?
So someone mistakenly got placed into Master from Gold and they get to stay at Diamond?? what the ? hoe about you roll back ranks and delete this season off the mmr curve and start pbmm when its working and doesnt break the entire matching system. Im silver/gold and i play vs diamonds and plats and place bronze? thanks for ruining my account. Might as well start over.
What's the ETA of PPBM?!
i've always been plat 1 diamond 5 range and this season has been awful for negative gain.

so the system thinks im TOO high despite the fact i've consistently been at this rank?

think there is more to this than they are willing to say atm.
So that explains why I placed bronze despite never being there before. My record in HL is something like 130-80, I've climbed to gold 4, and I NEVER got any bonus points.

it was always 196 per win

208 for loss

when I had to climb out of bronze and silver.

This is not correct information. You guys never gave me a positive personal adjustment and you placed me in a league far below my skill that I've never fallen into my entire time in previous seasons.

do you think it feels good to those players i played against i stomped on my way to gold?

I'm player lvl 961 and even have the epic wolf mount from the preseason, how do you guys not have enough data to not place me in a league i shouldnt be in? unless it was intentional?

matchmaking is a complete mess right now. an utter disaster that never functions as intended except in the middle of the night when theres 100 people playing and i get to play games with diamonds and plats , those are the only times i play this game now
02/01/2018 01:28 PMPosted by Grompha
What's the ETA of PPBM?!

what if ppbm?
02/01/2018 01:41 PMPosted by CheesyBob
So that explains why I placed bronze despite never being there before. My record in HL is something like 130-80, I've climbed to gold 4, and I NEVER got any bonus points.

it was always 196 per win

208 for loss

when I had to climb out of bronze and silver.

This is not correct information. You guys never gave me a positive personal adjustment and you placed me in a league far below my skill that I've never fallen into my entire time in previous seasons.

I'm player lvl 961 and even have the epic wolf mount from the preseason, how do you guys not have enough data to not place me in a league i shouldnt be in? unless it was intentional?

have to agree with this poster here. I placed plat 1 and I have been plat 1 every season, despite having a 56% win I am barely a diamond 5 and losing more PR than gaining.
Every time you try fix this it only gets worse.
Highly Rated
At this point it's pretty clear that Blizzard has been paid to run a social experiment on all of us.
02/01/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Dubsix
At this point it's pretty clear that Blizzard has been paid to run a social experiment on all of us.

I legit want a blue post answering my question

"I'm player lvl 961 and even have the epic wolf mount from the preseason, how do you guys not have enough data to not place me in a league i shouldnt be in? unless it was intentional?"
02/01/2018 01:28 PMPosted by Grompha
What's the ETA of PPBM?!

Hopefully they realized a computer can't decide that and set it on fire.
Hi Travis, first of all thank you for finally communicating to us about the issue. Sadly I don't think this is the correct way to approach this. I believe many players would be happy to hear that the PRA is intended and working to normalize the season. The biggest issue here causing community outrage was that we didn't hear from you guys for over a week. I urge you to reconsider this decision, I'll take negative PRA anyday if its going to improve my match experience.
"The system has been self-correcting, providing positive points for players in the Bronze tier"

From my own personal experience, and the experience of many others, this statement is a complete and total falsehood.
I've been diamond for the last 3 seasons and finally decided to make the MMR grind this season. The system placed me into Gold1/Plat5 and I was able to push through to Masters after 222 games at a 60% win rate. You're telling me that people that have statistically earned a rank will pushed back down by those who may have placed higher than they should have been and only played the placements? There will still be the issue of "tier hogging".

Maybe reworking the placement system, and increasing the number of games one needs to play before being placed will be a good start. It will help prevent "tier hogging". If target distribution is your primary goal, then implement something like this. Only a high # of games played can show any correlation to where a player's skill level is and where it should be.

Another thought: maybe limit the tier placement of new accounts?
02/01/2018 10:55 AMPosted by TravisM
While this behavior was returning things to normal, we agree that consistently receiving negative personal rank adjustments feels bad so we have disabled the self-correct behavior.

I really hate the negative personal rank adjustment. It feels like, you won a game and then you got a slap. It's super stupid, but happened too often, that I need 1 or 2 more point to get to the promotion state, which made me have to win 3 games in a streak to get promoted... It's just frustrating.

How about we just remove negative adjustment all together? Lower the basic points you will get from winning a game, and give positive adjustment points to correct the distribution. For example: winning a game give you 150 points, instead of 200. You get 45 bonus points for adjustment, which equals to -5 points as in the current system. It won't solve the promotion problem, but it will make winning a game feels more positive.