If Blizzard wants to bring back more players, here's how:

General Discussion
If you want to read interesting discussions, it's time to learn not to mash the downvote button.
04/17/2018 12:37 AMPosted by Bogrim
- Destroy 4 keeps or forts.

This would mean atleast 2 games to finish this quest. Not much of a change from the play 2 games as X hero quests.

- Kill 50 minions.
- Recruit 10 mercenaries.
- Recruit 2 bosses.
- Destroy 8 towers.
- Deal X amount of damage to enemy heroes.

Recruit 10 mercenaries: can take actually quiet long for some heroes like supps

Recruit 2 bosses: looking at haunted mines, that would be one game without quest, make another one would be the second and if you dont do bosses there you can play another game. So again, 3 games to play

Deal X amount of damage to enemy heroes: how do you define x? do it as a supp, ggwp
I think the daily Quests are already at a fine length right now, but I still don't understand why we can't reroll them like in Hearthstone. Those Overwatch quests sit there for weeks with me.
They need a real marketing team or else no one will join. I only found out that this game exists because of the Overwatch promotional event last year. There needs to be another promotional event. (and maybe this time they won't screw it up)
04/17/2018 12:47 AMPosted by VikingEagle
I think the daily Quests are already at a fine length right now, but I still don't understand why we can't reroll them like in Hearthstone. Those Overwatch quests sit there for weeks with me.

They are not fine as they are right now. My log is 2 different class quests and play 8 games currently, meaning I have to play at least 6 games all with heroes I didn't intend to play when I launched the game.

04/17/2018 12:39 AMPosted by Labreris
This would mean atleast 2 games to finish this quest. Not much of a change from the play 2 games as X hero quests.

You would be able to complete all your quests at once in the span of 1 to 2 games.

04/17/2018 12:47 AMPosted by Trollzor
Recruit 10 mercenaries: can take actually quiet long for some heroes like supps

Recruit 2 bosses: looking at haunted mines, that would be one game without quest, make another one would be the second and if you dont do bosses there you can play another game. So again, 3 games to play

Deal X amount of damage to enemy heroes: how do you define x? do it as a supp, ggwp

I'm thinking that just tagging the mercenary camp with an auto attack should be enough, and each merc in the camp would count towards the progress.

For bosses, objective bosses should count as well (foundry/haunted mines).

For damage, I really don't have an idea. I was thinking in the lines of 200 or 300 damage but that would probably be way too low.
Changing the daily quests would largely just cater to the current playerbase. People who quit were complaining about many other things.

Simply bringing Mei over here could attract way more new players than that.
04/17/2018 01:32 AMPosted by Copypastable
Changing the daily quests would largely just cater to the current playerbase. People who quit were complaining about many other things.

Simply bringing Mei over here could attract way more new players than that.

He's not wrong.
The quests are a pain in the ... indeed. It just makes you play heroes you did not wanted to play. Or game modes (vs AI so you can pick a hero for finishing quests)

- Kill 50 minions.- Recruit 10 mercenaries.- Recruit 2 bosses.- Destroy 8 towers.- Destroy 4 keeps or forts.- Deal X amount of damage to enemy heroes.

But these quests are making you lose games, since you want/need to finish the quests. And you are making descisions not for the team but for questing.
All the draft mode (unrank, HL, TL) fill the request regardless the hero choose. Most of the quest is just "play 2 or 3 draft mode" for me. For some example: I can finish both "play 3 support" and "play 3 worrier" at the same time just playing 3 unrank game. I could finish the "play 2 OW hero" just playing 2 HL without picking the OW heros.

Blizzard should info this on the daily quest. I have gave the same answer last month and I will give same answer to other player in the future.
I am not a fan of this idea. It could cause some major issues. Namely, instead of focusing on the game, they would afk farm camps to complete their quest, etc.
Draft modes already qualify every match to fulfill any quest, so aside from appeasing QM-only players, I don't see the point.
The problem isn't the quests themselves. It's that you only get one per day, they are random, most give low amounts of gold, and base gold/game is super low (especially if you have a bad day and go on a losing streak). That all said, the changes to the progression system have helped a lot. I've picked up 4 heroes in the last 3 days that I didn't have to spend gold on, and I'm sitting on 300 crystals and 14k gold just from playing (4k was from the gift thing, though).

If I would suggest anything, it would be to flatten out the win/loss gold a bit, slightly increase it overall (50g a game), still give a small bonus for winning (15-20g), and redo how quests work.

For quests, it would be nice to have more variety, and to get them more often. Would be nice if it just filled up any slots that were empty at the start of each day. Would also be nice to be able to "reroll" one where it presents 3 new options and lets you pick one of them.

As for the claim that people don't want to play because of hero selection? I think that's weak sauce, and I don't buy it. It's the kind of excuse that people come up with when they lack better arguments for a claim. However, the real problem with the quests as they currently are is that you login, do your quest, log out (at least among very casual players) or you log in every day for the quest and only do them on every 3rd day. The core issue here is that individual games aren't rewarding enough without a stimpack active. I made many posts about this very issue way back in the beta, and the progression system rework helped a lot, but this issue still persists.
The majority of players are casual. They login, play a game and log back out.

The quests are currently the biggest obstacle to the casual player base.

Quests are the biggest incentive to play: They're how you earn currency to buy new heroes and reroll loot boxes.

But most of the quests are tediously long, requires you to play multiple games and can't be changed ("rerolled") for new quests. Inactive players inevitably get a quest log full of quests they don't wanna play, and then just lose interest in the game.

The class quests are especially tedious. Sometimes when you login you just want to play one of your favorite heroes and having your quest slots taken up by class quests takes the fun out of the game.

Hearthstone recently updated their quest system for the better: Quests are now way faster to complete and even reward more gold. The development team has recognized keeping casual players interested is way more profitable in the long run.

If you want to bring back players to your game, consider updating your Quest system too. I'd suggest quests such as:

- Kill 50 minions.
- Recruit 10 mercenaries.
- Recruit 2 bosses.
- Destroy 8 towers.
- Deal X amount of damage to enemy heroes.

No thank you. No need to force players to prolong a won game to complete these quests. I don't want to face the possibility of losing a won game just because some idiots in my team want to prolong the game and make stupid mistakes for the sake of quests.
Blizz must be thinking, we crammed as many Overwatch heroes as we could in 2017, how is this not surpassing LOL?
Honestly, I don't think the quests are there just for making sure that players can get a steady stream of gold. I'd argue that they are there as incentive to try out new characters, or to keep you flexible by playing multiple roles. When I started out, I was attracted towards the Support role as it was just something I found engaging... but eventually I caved and due to the urging of a daily quest, started trying out other roles. I still prefer supports, but I also enjoy a few turns as an Assassin or Warrior every now and then. And now that you've spent time with these new characters you now suddenly like after trying, you can get some extra gold to get the character without spending real-world money.

Perfect system, no... but I argue that they are there to increase diversity in player backgrounds and get them to try things they wouldn't normally.
I like how your idea of daily quests focus on what you do in game rather than what you play as in the game (A lot of inspiration coming from Hearthstone quests here). However, this could be both beneficial and detrimental to how you do your quests. What if you get five games in a row where only two of them you've been able to destroy two forts (Yes, super unlucky, but this happens to some people). The person could take forever to complete the quest, or complete the entire requirement in one game.

Essentially, while this quest system does give you goals in a match that are not stacking quests, it could prove unpredictable, since completing the quest determines what you do in match, instead of taking it steady and playing as what it wants before the match. So I'm not against this, hell it may prove to be the next big change since the December game play update with some extras tacked on, I'm just a little worried about how it could turn out for less experienced players.
04/17/2018 03:08 AMPosted by Vekkul
Draft modes already qualify every match to fulfill any quest, so aside from appeasing QM-only players, I don't see the point.

There are more that play QM than you think. Treating a group of people like trash just because they prefer a different game mode is really gonna hurt the game.
LOL quest hahaha

They need to fix this stupid MMR and MM system

Anyway :

-They were late to the MOBA party
-They had to fix their game before player base leave
-Fixing the MM wont be a great deal if you dont have players

Its too late
Unranked play doesnt matter who you play or what quests you have.
Only quest you cant do is win 3 games, where you actually have to win.

I dont play the game to get gold or to quest, thats wow territory, i jump on to play with friends and have fun. Maybe your playing the game wrong?