Blizzard Should Promote Draft Pick More!

General Discussion
So while some people think QM should be removed, I find that to be a bit too extreme (even though I definitely understand where they are coming from).
With that said, I do think Blizzard should put effort into promoting draft as the default way of playing the game because that's the way more balanced and less frustrating way to play this game.

The way I'd do that is following:
1 - 'Demote' QM:
Again, removing it is a bit too much (it has its uses, like testing new things and such), but that doesn't mean it can't get a demotion, so to speak.
In order to do that, Quick Match should be renamed to Wild Match (kinda more fitting when you think about it, especially if we go with the dev's definition of, and I paraphrase, 'it's an mode where anything can happen'), get a fitting description that will make it obvious to players that it's a bit of a, well, wild mode (possibly even adjust other game mode descriptions in a way that makes draft look like the default mode of the game), and maybe even rearrange game mode tabs a bit in order to put more emphasis on draft.

2 - Reward Draft More:
Just a simple 25% bonus to exp and maybe gold would do!
Besides promoting draft, this can also serve as making up for time 'wasted' drafting.

3 - General Improvements to Draft:
Well, this bit could be a thread of its own, but the upcoming 3rd and possibility of being able to draft in any order in Unranked and HL just like in TL both sound good!

All in all, tweaks like that could push the community towards healthier play styles resulting in way less frustrations for everybody!
04/19/2018 06:55 AMPosted by Lithary

Blizzard will read 25% less exp and gold to QM.
I think the most interesting about QM is, is that you can play the hero you like (also for testing/new heroes). And fast queues. I don't think more gold/xp is a reason to go to draft modes. Not that i am again more xp/gold.
04/19/2018 07:06 AMPosted by Tsja
I think the most interesting about QM is, is that you can play the hero you like (also for testing/new heroes). And fast queues. I don't think more gold/xp is a reason to go to draft modes. Not that i am again more xp/gold.

playing the hero you want is just a matter of perspective. i mean you can do that in Try, AI, and Custom. you can also gather a bunch of friends together to make a group and play whatever team you want.

fast queues? this is a design issue. do you see brawl taking a long time to queue? to draft? no it doesnt. this is because brawl really doesnt worry about the same things that 'ranked' play worries about. in a suggestion i have made a number of times i said that we should replace QM with a 'quick draft' mode. this would be a blind draft similar to brawl. you would get the use of your entire roster, whatever you may have, and there would be 60 seconds for your entire team to lock in their choices. duplicate choices wouldnt be allowed on the same team, but you would allow the enemy to have the same picks obviously. the idea behind quick draft is taking away all those rulesets they have running in the backend that 'try' to match you with similar compositions and just leave it up to the players to do what they want like any other draft. the quality of this kind of mode would go up drastically and make it much more enjoyable.
You cant give the draft mode bonus XP and gold because then basically no one would play QM anymore and the people that enjoy QM might leave.
so your saying you want me to only draft

abathur

murky

TLV?

kk
04/19/2018 07:25 AMPosted by Morogoth
playing the hero you want is just a matter of perspective. i mean you can do that in Try, AI, and Custom. you can also gather a bunch of friends together to make a group and play whatever team you want.

You got to be kidding comparing moving and playing whole games to VS AI 6 minute overextending feasts.

I buy a new hero. I play 1 AI game and then queue for QM a couple of times before i feel i can choose it in a draft mode.
So my suggestion is based on my personal opinion, but it is kind of informed.

What keeps my friends and me from playing a Draft mode is the 10 minute pick / ban phase where you spend about 1/2 game length essentially picking and the fact that some heroes just never make it past the ban phase, not to mention the queue time that can ramp up to insane numbers. By the time we enter a draft match, we could have already finished a non - draft match.

I would suggest not removing QM or cutting down on gold / xp rewards, but simply revamping the way your character selection works. In the first screen, people queue up with a pre - determined role. Once the matchmaker finds a suitable match, all players enter a 1 minute blind pick mode, where you can select a character based on your role, but can also swap roles. You can not see the enemy picks during this phase, nor can you ban characters.

You could also maybe do a pure blind pick mode, where everyone can just choose their desired character on the spot. You can still lock in whatever you want to play, but the option is there for some more coordinated choices. The only downside I foresee is people insta locking other people's picks, but this also happens during draft games so I guess it's a risk we can take?

Maybe we could even do a way where 10 people first get to vote on which map they are going to play (1 choice out of f.e. three, 10 second pick time) then enter the blind pick mode, then immediately load the map?
just remove QM
Replace QM by Blind Pick

It would help players to learn basic draft (synergie, combo and role filling)

You cant promote Drafting if you offer a game type that you do whatever you want in an environnement where you learn nothing and that does not represent how the game as early as draft
04/19/2018 07:03 AMPosted by WarriorNG
04/19/2018 06:55 AMPosted by Lithary

Blizzard will read 25% less exp and gold to QM.

:remembers gem-only skins:
I actually see what you mean, lol.
One can still hope, though!

04/19/2018 07:06 AMPosted by Tsja

Well, I don't think people will start playing draft because of the exp/gold bonus, but it's one suppose to serve as one of many little things that will encourage them to do so.

04/19/2018 07:33 AMPosted by TimeSpike
You cant give the draft mode bonus XP and gold because then basically no one would play QM anymore and the people that enjoy QM might leave.

04/19/2018 07:36 AMPosted by navy3001

abathur

murky

TLV?

kk

Did you two just roll your faces over your keyboards and posted whatever came up, or do you actually think that what you wrote makes sense?
04/19/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Razihell
Replace QM by Blind Pick

You cant promote Drafting if you offer a game type that you do whatever you want in an environnement where you learn nothing and that does not represent how the game as early as draft

This.
04/19/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Lithary
Did you two just roll your faces over your keyboards and posted whatever came up, or do you actually think that what you wrote makes sense?

No

if this happens more players will flock to draft, making a lot less for QM, forcing draft to be the main mode, which I do no like

so, because of this, I will only play the ones I listed.

abathur

murky

TLV?

kk

Selfish players like this are a big reason we can't have nice things in this game.
Well having QM not have any effect on ranked modes whatsoever and require a certain number of URD games would be a good start.
Being able to see some stats when hovering/selecting a hero to see it's strenghts would be nice too (eg. waveclear/CC/survivability/ hero damage...) and maybe have the game give some drafting advices would help people who fear drafts to have more confidence.

abathur

murky

TLV?

kk

QM would still be there. Some incentives to make people who are interested in ranked modes experience drafts via URD would not impact QM that much since a good part of people playing it enjoys it. We would limit smurfs and !@#$% abusing QM to gain ground in ranked mode too.
AMA already addressed they are not going to get rid of QM.
04/19/2018 07:48 AMPosted by Razihell
Replace QM by Blind Pick

Blind pick should also allow you to ready up with preferred hero and only switch if you feel it is necessary. No chat or voice will be allowed until the game starts to prevent people from raging about picks or team comps.
04/19/2018 07:59 AMPosted by navy3001
04/19/2018 07:52 AMPosted by Lithary

No

if this happens more players will flock to draft, making a lot less for QM, forcing draft to be the main mode, which I do no like

so, because of this, I will only play the ones I listed.
Likewise. They want to force everyone in QM into their mode because no one is playing it anymore. Then start whining about throwers n trolls. If i get forced into Draft and QM is removed I have 4 specs I main and B****es cant ban them all. They can't accept that this "inferior" QM is more playable than draft mode. Not everyone wants to learn to draft not everyone has to be a metasheep. These Modes are there for ALL crowds. Until Blizzard changes that we stay where we want.
End of story. No amount of Pro Draft circle jerking is gonna change that.