The new portraits are just the worst thing.

General Discussion
I really don't get how someone could mix up Falstad and Muradin. One is riding a freaking Griffin.
04/25/2018 09:49 PMPosted by SOSBomfu
I really don't get how someone could mix up Falstad and Muradin. One is riding a freaking Griffin.

I think you mean a gryphon. Griffin sounds like he's taking one of Peter's family for a ride
04/25/2018 08:17 PMPosted by MacWeak
Should we blame only blizz or should we also blame the blind players who led to this? There must have been lots of complains to get there in the first place.

Probably both. Even if people had trouble telling what hero was picked they could just highlight the portrait.
ye
I dont like it. I feel like im back to the alpha hots. I have a cool idea. Its actually inspired(stolen) from the game paladins. Its where you see 5 platforms and everytime someone lock a hero in, its full 3D model gets on one of the platforms. I know its not a quick fix for this. But it could be really cool.
Completely agree, would be okay with a toggle. I mean, how else am I supposed to show off my spam switching between hero skins while waiting for draft to end? It helps me decide!!
At first, did not know what everyone was referring to until I took a look myself.

I agree wholeheartedly, the 2-D portraits make it feel just wrong. I don't understand what was wrong with the 3-D portraits that led up to this point.

Have the devs said anything about this?
My guess is that they changed it to 2d portraits because they think that some skins might not look like the actual hero you picked.
Even though I wonder if there is a audience that has issues with that how they found the button for queuing up.
04/26/2018 06:18 AMPosted by Haku
My guess is that they changed it to 2d portraits because they think that some skins might not look like the actual hero you picked.
Even though I wonder if there is a audience that has issues with that how they found the button for queuing up.

Ikr three ways you can confirm a hero:
1) When locked in, their models appear in the center with the name of the hero flashing by.
2)The nameplate under the hero
3)Hover your mouse over the hero portrait

3 relatively simple ways to confirm a hero you are unsure the identity of.
04/26/2018 05:49 AMPosted by Gresh
At first, did not know what everyone was referring to until I took a look myself.

I agree wholeheartedly, the 2-D portraits make it feel just wrong. I don't understand what was wrong with the 3-D portraits that led up to this point.

It just says it's to make easier to know wich hero your team pre selected without confusion, just only that.

Now this kind of changes are made via some feedback, because we got the 3D models from a long time and no one say a thing about it on forum but via ticket it seems.
#MakeDraftPortraitsGreatAgain
Oh, apparently the real reason isn't that people mix the characters, but because the frequent switching between heroes and skins caused some computers to lag, most likely older ones.

Now that's a proper reason you can't really argue against. Sure you could tell people to not play the game on a toaster, but this just doesn't work. This is a moba in dire need of players, with a strong competition in form Lol and dota, both easily accessible spec-wise.

But maybe they can bring the old portraits back through a toggle option when they have more resources to spare on it?
04/26/2018 07:29 AMPosted by Starmie
Oh, apparently the real reason isn't that people mix the characters, but because the frequent switching between heroes and skins caused some computers to lag, most likely older ones.

Now that's a proper reason you can't really argue against. Sure you could tell people to not play the game on a toaster, but this just doesn't work. This is a moba in dire need of players, with a strong competition in form Lol and dota, both easily accessible spec-wise.

But maybe they can bring the old portraits back through a toggle option when they have more resources to spare on it?

Okay now that is a better reason than the whole "Difficult to Differentiate Between X and Y" argument.

I am actually willing to accept that if it is the reason.
04/26/2018 06:25 AMPosted by Strange
04/26/2018 05:49 AMPosted by Gresh

It just says it's to make easier to know wich hero your team pre selected without confusion, just only that.

Now this kind of changes are made via some feedback, because we got the 3D models from a long time and no one say a thing about it on forum but via ticket it seems.

Not to forget the last update added the hero name under the portrait (instead of skin name).
There should've been NO ERROR for mistakes, unless people cannot read the alphabet...
I like 2D, ty for this. Pretty symmetrically without ugly non-standart skins.
The 2d portraits instead of the 3d models was a terrible decision. I really don't know how the feedback for this kind of change made it through to the devs when so much else seems to fall on deaf ears.
The priority list the devs have must be made up. So much wasted focus on crap like this instead of old hero reworks to make all heroes viable in game. Good waste of resources Blizz
Toggle please. Then everyone will be happy.
Seems to me that many of you miss an important point.
It's not about a picked portrait which includes the hero name, it's more about the prepick heroes - where you cant see any name.
But, of course, make both options available is a good ideea.
'The new portraits are just the best thing'. Thank you, devs <3