Silenced in error?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 7 Next
04/15/2018 07:54 AMPosted by Paulo
Do like many do. Don't talk in the chat, like this you can appeal your silence.
Not even a "hello" or "gg".

You can have a silence be upheld based on pinging someone or a structure, using the dance command or the taunt command (makes you wonder why it's there) also by spamming hearth or bouncing on the enemy's spawn point.

But the dumbest thing is that, even if you didn't do anything and the silence is removed. If you get silenced for no reason several times and it's succesfully appealed, after a set amount of time your silence will not be lifted, even if you didn't do anything. Like there was a limit on appeals.

It's really weird.
04/15/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Ernestas
It is sad to be you. Everyone is a liar and an idiot in your eyes.

Keep in mind, known players like Grubby were silenced in the very manner in which the OP is describing. They played enough games for enough ppl to report them for no reason. (Though in their case the silence was immediately removed upon request)
i report everyone, both teams, at the start of each match to make people mad when they are silenced.

im love taking advantage of this broken report system because ive also been silenced for "non participation" even though i always try to win games.

blizz makes this an automated system so im gonna report EVERY SINGLE PLAYER EVERY SINGLE GAME.
04/15/2018 05:55 PMPosted by phaseshifter

Keep in mind, known players like Grubby were silenced in the very manner in which the OP is describing. They played enough games for enough ppl to report them for no reason. (Though in their case the silence was immediately removed upon request)

But we are not grubby and blizzard doesn’t care. If my appeal is not accepted I legit will quit this game.

I used in game voice only but routinely put up with trolls and feeders.

I’ve been silenced on another account once that I use for ninety percent team league games for b stepping. If you appeal, the game masters give you a canned response or find one or two little things taken out of context to uphold the ban
I haven't played in months but when i did i reported everyone on both teams at the start of every game. Activisions automated punishment system is ridiculous and they need to be shown that. Honestly everyone should do it. It's the only way they'll learn.
i got silenced today after being called racial and homophobic slurs, in and out of game. yeah, blizzards system is utter garbage and supports bad players. i got reported by my entire team after asking our tank multiple times to come to the objective, and for asking our TEN DEATH maltheal to stop being alone. yeah this game is going down the drain.
04/15/2018 01:30 PMPosted by KuroShinryu
Nobody deserves a silence. That's why there's the mute/block buttons.

Let's assume you paid to install hots and automated silences were still a thing.

That's just bad business anyway, catering to the easily offended minority. Hopefully a minority that stays one despite being mass produced in learning establishments.

If HotS was a pay game and it had automated silences I would never play again.

Honestly block/mute people that are toxic.
The only people who really believe that this automated system is working are those who have never been silenced because they play infrequently, play only with friends, or have been lucky. I've also seen posted by many people here to defend it "if only a few people are falsely silenced, it's working as intended."

I haven't been silenced, but I have two friends who both were silenced playing with their chat disabled. The punishments were upheld on appeal one was due to "inappropriate use of ping", which seems to me would not be "abusive chat" but rather "spam" if anything.

In Blizzards latest blog post they stated these punishments will take less reports, happen more often and the punishments more severe as they said "machine learning" makes abusive behavior easier to detect.

I challenge that as there are many people with offensive Battletags, names I can't print here as they are swear words, many not even hidden with symbols. If Blizzard can't even detect swear words in Battletags (even though I've reported the names) I have huge doubts about the accuracy of their "machine learning" to correctly identify toxic behavior.
04/14/2018 03:44 PMPosted by GhostPants
Just got silenced. Turns out what I've heard people say is completely true, reporting people can be abused and you can get silenced even if you never were abusive in chat.

I make a point to never say ANYTHING remotely abusive to anyone. That doesn't mean someone doesn't get pissy with me for one reason or another (maybe I pinged them and it triggered them or they got mad at me for some other reason), but I never swear, name call, or flame in chat whatsoever.

So, after last game, I got a message saying my account was silenced due to a number of reports. This means the system is automated and can be abused, people can report for abusive chat even if you don't say abusive things and it can result in a silence.

GG. There are so many issues with this game and now im silenced for no reason too. I must be the stupidest person in the world for putting up with all of this and continuing to play this game.
My brothers friend had this happen to him and he just called support and actually talked to someone about what happened and they got it fixed for him. Just try to call and I’m sure they can resolve it for you. Especially since the evidence is right there in your profile.

The OP isn't a public figure. Grubby getting silenced is the exception, not the rule. The OP didn't get silenced because he is like grubby. If he was, the silence would have been overturned when it was clear that there wasn't any evidence of malfeasance.

Instead, the more likely cause is that over many game, the OPs behavior in chat and in game play were enough to warrant a punishment. Most likely this isn't his first.

Let's see those chat logs and replays. Oh, and the emails from Blizzard showing why he was silenced and why it wasn't overturned when he challenged it.

It's really shameful nothing came out of it. He even got the textbook lazy reply from the GM the first time, so he had to call someone else working in Blizzard to get it removed.

People go "Oh, sure OP. Totally trustworthy stranger on the internet /s", but what at least Grubby's silence proved is that it's totally abusable.
04/15/2018 06:33 PMPosted by LenaOxton

I’ve been silenced on another account once that I use for ninety percent team league games for b stepping.

B-stepping is obnoxious. I would uphold that silence.
04/16/2018 08:01 AMPosted by Urza
B-stepping is obnoxious

It is obnoxious, but what it's NOT is abusive chat which is what the silence penalty is supposed to be punishing.
use chat while playing not look pro / pro player do everything automatically as machine
04/15/2018 08:24 AMPosted by Drothvader
It's really the repeat offenders who deserve their silences.

What ever happen to the ignore feature? Usually games has that for toxic players because they know players will act foolish.
Well, can we all agree on the fact that silencing by an automated system is idiotic.
04/17/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Archlich
Well, can we all agree on the fact that silencing by an automated system is idiotic.

Well given the fact that Blizzard's entire population of Gnome Slaves revolted and escaped through a dimensional portal to the void, no, using an automated system is not idiotic. It makes perfect sense.

What is idiotic is that after 2 years you guys still think you are fooling everyone with this notion that there is this big conspiracy by Blizzard to silence innocent players, just for the lulz.
04/16/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Westrona
04/16/2018 08:01 AMPosted by Urza
B-stepping is obnoxious

It is obnoxious, but what it's NOT is abusive chat which is what the silence penalty is supposed to be punishing.

Nobody is getting silenced just because they b-stepped.
04/17/2018 04:04 AMPosted by zenasprime
04/17/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Archlich

Well given the fact that Blizzard's entire population of Gnome Slaves revolted and escaped through a dimensional portal to the void, no, using an automated system is not idiotic. It makes perfect sense.

What is idiotic is that after 2 years you guys still think you are fooling everyone with this notion that there is this big conspiracy by Blizzard to silence innocent players, just for the lulz.

1) You can make 4 men premade team with your 3 friends
or
2) Just by yourselves
Then, target one person, report him with toxic chat. Then put that person's profile in whisper list, and monitor his status through whisper list, and continue to report each time he enter a new game and following waiting for game times. Then, he will get numerous reports in a short period of time, damn silenced.
Yes, you can abuse the system.

And, if this person said even something normal like "dude, why did you go there" in the past, his appeal will be ignored because even saying something normal can be considered toxic.

What we need is to;
Remove silence system completely and people start to use mute button. People need to protect themselves. Protecting snowflakes are the real problem of today's society. For extreme cases like death threats and real racial insults, there can be special reporting site or place in hots official system or e-mail. And these real issues can be reviewed by real people in real time.

In this way, no one will be silenced by abuse and real toxic insults and threats can be reviewed directly.

Saying things like;
"Why did you go there man, we could have won the fight if you helped us"
"Please next time divine me"
"You are not good at this hero dude, why did you choose him"
shouldn't be toxic.

If people are offended by such things, they should really have insecurity problems and solving these problems shouldn't be blizz's job. There is a mute button, use it, handle toxicity like a grown person.
04/17/2018 04:17 AMPosted by Archlich
Then, target one person, report him with toxic chat. Then put that person's profile in whisper list, and monitor his status through whisper list, and continue to report each time he enter a new game and following waiting for game times. Then, he will get numerous reports in a short period of time, damn silenced.
Yes, you can abuse the system.

And once a Blizzard representative takes a look at your account and sees no actual evidence of malfeasance, the silence will be overturned.

And, if this person said even something normal like "dude, why did you go there" in the past, his appeal will be ignored because even saying something normal can be considered toxic.

Please, let's not be the overly dramatic teenager complaining "but mom!" No adult human observer is going to be that dramatic about it. They are going to be able to read between the lines and know when a player is being toxic or when that's not the case. You're not fooling anyone with this innocent victim routine.

Saying things like;
"Why did you go there man, we could have won the fight if you helped us"
"Please next time divine me"
"You are not good at this hero dude, why did you choose him"
shouldn't be toxic.

I say this kind of stuff all the time and I've never been silenced in game. But consider this, you shouldn't be saying this kind of stuff to strangers anyway. It's NOT constructive. You don't help your team by nagging them into playing your way. If you want to provide other players with feedback, do post game analysis videos on YouTube or Twitch.

If people are offended by such things, they should really have insecurity problems and solving these problems shouldn't be blizz's job. There is a mute button, use it, handle toxicity like a grown person.

Go into your local gym and start nagging other people. Oh sure, they can just ignore you or walk away but the gym managers are going to eventually ask you to leave if you continue to be a disruption to their business. So yes, Blizzard's job is to do what they believe is necessary to continue to operate a successful business, one were ALL customers feel comfortable. It's naive to believe otherwise.

Look, you can continue to hold this childish belief that you can go around saying and doing whatever you want on the internet because other people should just ignore you if they don't like it, but that's not true. If your behavior is disruptive, just like in the real world, it's will within the rights for the maintainer to kick you out. It's their house and their rules. If you violate them, it's your own fault.

Edit: every downvote is really just a "but mom! I didn't do it, I swear." whine.