Over priced cosmetics

General Discussion
Shards come from repeated loot drops, repeated loot drops come from loot boxes, loot boxes come from leveling up your heroes.

If you have literally anything else to do in your life, you'll never get what you want in this game unless you fork over $35-$50 for that lone skin you want, along with a bunch of stuff you didn't want and may never use.

When this event started, I actually did consider paying for gems, until I realized how absurd the prices are in comparison to what that amount can actually get you.

EDIT: I was pretty upset about using my free gems for crates and getting nothing, but the more I thought about it, the sillier it sounded to me, so anything beyond this point is just my personal woes.
I'd delete it if I didn't think there are people who go through the same anguish, as silly as it may seem. Honestly I knew what I was getting myself into when a I spent my free gems on those crates, but I guess I wasn't prepared for the end result.
Anything I just typed out because I was upset over bad luck and I didn't actually believe, I have removed from this post.
Honestly I wish I had gotten downvotes and this thread was ignored cause now I'm just embarrassed.

Some other people in this thread bring up good points about how skins should be again directly buyable with gems, think that would solve this whole fiasco.

I just wasted $18 in free gems on loot boxes and feel like I got scammed.
Not only did I get zero event skins, but I didn't even get enough shards for the lone Sonya skin I wanted, and I honestly feel terrible right now.

This is the same reason I quit Overwatch, I ended up hopelessly grinding for skins that should just be an extra thing, and eventually I'm just playing for skins, I stop loving the game for what it is and become entirely focused on just reaching that next level so I can maybe get that skin I want.
i thought in OW all content was giving to you?
05/23/2018 11:29 AMPosted by DvaIsMyWaifu

No, it's all lootboxes.
I Hear that they going to change the name to Heroes of the Skins! makes sense
You don't need cosmetic to play the game.
Meh...i quit Overwatch the day all of my teammates ran off the overtime ring because one Mei popped her Ult and she was the only one alive and we lost. (I was backline healing as Mercy)

Anywho on topic. I doubt the cosmetics is what is driving them away from Hots. Its the way elitist treat people in Draft modes, the heavy neglect of old heroes because they arent Pro Scene favorites, the hypocritical coddling Blizzard employs trying to be politically correct for millennials yet implement toxicity inducing features like sprays and Taunts.
I still don’t know why you just can’t buy skins with gold or gems. You need to play 30 games a day all year long to get a few event skins...like why.
Funny, and I thought braindead teammates cause people to quit.
Hm, maybe that's just me.
I rarely pay attention to cosmetics during the game at all. My mind is focused on the gameplay itself. I bought the rainbow unicorn because i thought it was an amazing mount but i rarely even pay attention to the rainbow it creates.
05/23/2018 11:29 AMPosted by DvaIsMyWaifu

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Oh I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl, thank you.
05/23/2018 12:53 PMPosted by MARINE08
I still don’t know why you just can’t buy skins with gold or gems. You need to play 30 games a day all year long to get a few event skins...like why.

Corporate greed is a special kind of greed.
Except the general issue of the community not playing the game in a collaborative way and just spending time thinking about new ways of “how can I make these four other ppl lose the match and laugh it off?”....

What’s keeping me away is the stalling which is slowly taking over.
funny this was never a problem in 1.0. only once loot boxes came about it all came crashing down. still waiting on that loot box ban....
you don't need money to play this game, so you still have 2 options regarding the disposal of your money:

#1, throw your money in this game;
#2, throw it somewhere else;

but anyway, all you need is to throw. Bye.
YOU DONT HAVE TO FORK OVER $50 FOR ONE SKIN

buy the bundle which if you own all 3 heroes its a little over $30...

I mean jesus Christ I don't like protecting companies but you people saying you HAVE TO spend $50 for one skin is ridiculous
05/23/2018 03:47 PMPosted by gora
YOU DONT HAVE TO FORK OVER $50 FOR ONE SKIN

I mean jesus Christ I don't like protecting companies but you people saying you HAVE TO spend $50 for one skin is ridiculous

Well $50 or not, that's the same amount as my Hamster's needs. The problem with buying over the normal amount is what if the game well closes "for a reason", this is just an IF.

Then all your progress, cosmetics and the things you've bought are basically gone to waste.
05/23/2018 11:17 AMPosted by Floppy
Shards come from repeated loot drops, repeated loot drops come from loot boxes, loot boxes come from leveling up your heroes, and the experience gain for heroes is sluggish, even if you have a stimpack.

If you have literally anything else to do in your life, you'll never get what you want in this game unless you fork over $35-$50 for that lone skin you want, along with a bunch of stuff you didn't want and may never use.

Not only did I get zero event skins, but I didn't even get enough shards for the lone Sonya skin I wanted, and I honestly feel terrible right now.

This is the same reason I quit Overwatch, I ended up hopelessly grinding for skins that should just be an extra thing, and eventually I'm just playing for skins, I stop loving the game for what it is and become entirely focused on just reaching that next level so I can maybe get that skin I want.

Well this is it, just like Overwatch, my love of it has been murdered by an event.
When this event started, I actually did consider paying for gems, until I realized how absurd the prices are, and now I won't be buying them ever.

Just don't buy it.

It's not like you didn't know it was random. The odds of getting the one item you want are slim.

But if you bought a ton of boxes, you have enough shards to craft what you want anyway.
05/23/2018 01:26 PMPosted by JamieRose

Corporate greed is a special kind of greed.

It's not Corporate greed, it's just crappy micro-transaction strategy from Blizzard. Buying loot boxes is exactly like dropping money into a slot machine hoping to win the jackpot or in this case the skin that you want. whoever the hell came up with this loot boxes ought to be fired because almost EVERY GAME has fking loot boxes.
Battlerite, Star Wars battlefront, League of Legends, Fortnite, PUBG..

05/23/2018 03:47 PMPosted by gora

Firstly, having to spend $30+ on 6-8 skins and 3 mounts on heroes and mount that you don't play or don't like is a waste of money, because you would never use them. In the end, there is no customer satisfaction because you dropped $30+ for basically 1-3 skins that you might like out of the 9 skins and 3 mounts in the bundle.

Because of poor business strategy. it pisses me off as well that I can't buy skins with Gems, and some skins goes on sale in rotation and it might take a DAMN long time for it to go on sale. it's this loot boxes that caused a huge change in how micro-transactions are done, and it's BLIZZARD that caused this.

05/23/2018 03:25 PMPosted by Fant1sy
you don't need money to play this game

sure you may not need money to play the game, however as a player that enjoys the game and enjoys the content that they are bringing out, why restrict me from purchasing products which in-turn supports the game.

Nothing is free. From a business standpoint, it is not logical to restrict your customers options, you'll lose money. which is why there is no increase in funding for HotS, and i hope you noticed but there is LITERALLY NO MARKETING for HotS.