Talent Selection Rework

General Discussion
It's simple, just allow the ability to freely pick what talents you want before you unlock the talent teir, 1st talent should be this way until the start of the game.
this kills 3 birds with one stone. AI picks, abuse due to the suggested undo button, and rash misclicks either due to being in the chaos of a team fight or clicking in that same spot during retreat at the same time you gain a talent teir... (it's happened before we all know it has)
point is this would completely eliminate some issues of this game all at the same time. which would allow you to focus on the part of the game that's actually fun... the game play. not having to be distracted from the action in very time sensitive moments. even being demoralized or gimped by completely messing up the build and being ineffective for your role on the team in a game that's massively team based. throwing the game because of one mispicked talent. lets face it some talents are build breaking if not chosen when you already invested in specific base build. this really destroy the competitive spirit of the game by not being able to be as effective as possible at the role that the team may need just because of a misplaced talent. lets be honest we've been asking for something like this to be implemented in since alpha.
all this without removing the ability to not choose for moments when it's more appropriate to see what others pick for ults and choose accordingly. the simplest way IMO to implement this is just to allow the talent to be toggled until unlocked at the talent teir level. this way if you're not sure about which talent or accidentally click on a teir that you didn't want to pre choose you can undo that as well.
perhaps a small grace period of 5 seconds after you've first made a selection for that talent teir. which might be more prudent, where you can reselect the talent you want if you've misclicked. but if used locks the talent for say heroics or other non passive talents. the grace period might also just be a good addition to my first suggestion in that it allow a baseline for everyone to get talent right on level up, while still allowing for on the fly flexibility that some heroes have with their builds.
as far as D/C pausing the game and letting the players vote if they wish to continue with D/C players which might also be nice addition. as a stand alone thing.
also the ability for your team to see your prepicks would be nice. as suggested by -alhotter
Upvoted! :)
Using CTRL+number is actually one of those things that differentiates good players from casual players so nope, they have already dumbed down the game enough in 2k17.
blizz has actually said they intend to implement this so its only a matter of time
Grace period might be abusable. Picking talents in advance solves 100% of the issues. In addition, allowing to repick talents before they are unlocked should also be a common sense thing.
05/26/2018 03:07 AMPosted by AndreRX470
Using CTRL+number is actually one of those things that differentiates good players from casual players so nope, they have already dumbed down the game enough in 2k17.
1 you can still misclick a key... that doesn't solve misclicks or AI picks. 2 if the talent window pops up and you happen to be clicking on that rough position while you press ctrl+1 or whatever or even when load in aka 1st talent or d/c reconnection. so no your suggestion helps nothing other then to not allow people to play their best in any particular game.. what fun is it if you completely stomp the other team with no sense of challenge. this would effect both teams being able to play at a greater potential. which is a much more enjoyable thing than one team snowballing over the other ftw.
05/26/2018 04:15 AMPosted by Ernestas
Grace period might be abusable. Picking talents in advance solves 100% of the issues. In addition, allowing to repick talents before they are unlocked should also be a common sense thing.
3-5 sec would be seriously hard to abuse if you also include the point that the talent will lock in if it's advantage is used. that's such a short timeframe. that it would be very difficult if not impossible to really benefit from it. now I'm not at all suggesting that someone can pick a heroic use it then change it. but if their heroic wasn't used before they decided to change it then okay. for example nydus network vs maw. if you accident picked maw at first but didn't use it and needed nydus that game. then allow for enough time for you to notice the misclick and change it. that's all that I mean. now obviously each hero is different and this would have to be looked at for each talent tree but still.

Grace period of 5 seconds which becomes void if an active part of the talent is used.
05/26/2018 06:21 AMPosted by Werbs713

Grace period of 5 seconds which becomes void if an active part of the talent is used.
exactly
What about talents which do provide passive buffs? You see, this is tricky, because if I take a passive talent, it will automatically activate himself. If we are talking about just active abilities, I do think that code wise, programmer will have to create a list in regards to every ability which should get locked in. For example, I could rotate with Medvih for raven's speed and regen for a while until next wave of talents. Since they are not being actively used, I will still receive bonus and I will be able to reset 5 second cooldown timer. There are few such talents who by itself activates passively and I do not know if code wise it is really possible to do something. Outside of ultimate choices which counts as new abilities, you could potentially rotate talents if you are good at pressing buttons.

I do think that while grace period is fine as I do have those "oh !@#$, wrong talent" moments, I do think that it could only be used once. Yet, I do not think that grace period is even needed. I do think that pre-picking talents in advance and allowing them to change them before they are unlocked will solve 99% of the issues. I do see a lot of programming issues in regards to grace period which is not inherently abused by few good players.
I'm not suggesting a cooldown after you reselect a talent I'm suggesting that you pick a talent the first time you have exactly 3-5 second to make sure you selected the one you actually want after that it's done you can't repick a talent for that tier anymore. so you can't really roam far you might get halfway between the other lane but the time you mount up and start moving probably less. and the bonus distance I wouldn't consider significant enough to worry about in that particular instance.