Surrender Button Doesn't Seem That Taboo

General Discussion
There's a lot of stigma around what adding this button will do but the only opposing argument to NOT having it is that somehow it will make people give up during a game.

In my experience the people who are going to give up during a game are GOING to give up regardless if there a button that says "give up" or not. They'll simply feed or troll to make an already lost match end faster and I agree with them. Why waste time trying to come back when there is no coming back.

Personally I am not one to outright give up on small defeats. However when the enemy team is level 13 and is about to get a full zerg wave pushing down a completely open top lane and we are level 8 and one of our players has been lagging the entire game, yeah that would be a good time.

On top of this there are games where someone drops within 2 minutes for whatever reason and makes no effort to come back and now we have an AI Varian who is more interested in losing than winning. Ya know, he walks up to their top keep which is at 600 hp and he could easily tank it take it out in maybe 2 seconds but he would prefer to smack minions while it slowly shoots and kills him and then hearth back. And the other team doesn't even bother to stop him because he's taking care of himself on his own. Keeping in mind his level of stupidity you can imagine that he is surely no shining star in combat either. Again why have us sit through the enemy team taunting us and playing with there food and stomping us into the ground when they decide they wanna win when we could have a "We are down a player and there's no way we can win unless the other team is made of potatoes" button.

I'll give you one more the GOOD OL' 5TH PICK TROLL!!! Say we have Sonya, Arthas, Lunara and Hanzo ya know who would make an awesome member of this team? THAT'S RIGHT MURKY!!!! Who needs a support, the enemy team only has 2!? This I am tired of and honestly the people who do this will drastically disappear if they knew we didn't have to sit through a 15 minute slow death as they feed bot lane and never do anything. A surrender button will get us out of pointless games so much faster, it's either that or we surrender by feeding and making us lose faster.

This is one of hero of the storm's strength's a weaknesses. Very rarely can ONE person carry a team which is good. However it makes it so ONE person can easily sink the ship. All it takes it one and if they want to make us lose then we have no choice but to oblige so you might as well have an option to end it right then and there and get on to another game.
No surrender, no items, no individual leveling.
06/05/2018 06:03 PMPosted by Werbs
No surrender, no items, no individual leveling.
When you literally provide no argument. You basically just said "DURRR"
Adding an option will make players that are already demoralized and on the edge about giving up way more likely to just surrender.
This game has a small amount of people who give up for the smallest thing, a smaller amount of people who never give up for anything no matter what, and the vast majority of the community is in the middle.

If a player drops in the first minute and doesn't return after 5 then the game should just end with no penalty or something like that.
And lets be real honest with ourselves, how often do you really get stuck with an AI.
That is like the most niche of unlikely scenarios of all time.
I have had to play with like 1-2 AIs in about 500-600 HL games.
No.
06/05/2018 06:01 PMPosted by DoubleEdge
There's a lot of stigma around what adding this button will do but the only opposing argument to NOT having it is that somehow it will make people give up during a game.

There's no stigma around the surrender button. The community in general dislikes the idea. Those two are not the same thing.
My point AGAIN is that it only takes ONE person to sink the ship and if THEY wanna give up the other 4 people have no choice. It's either lose right away and move on to a fair game, or waste time and lose anyway. There's nothing wrong with knowing you've lost I don't see why people enjoy making other waste their time it's very selfish.
Hmm, maybe a forfeit button if one of the teammates are an AI for at least 6 - 8 minutes, but not an instant surrender.
06/05/2018 06:40 PMPosted by DoubleEdge
My point AGAIN is that it only takes ONE person to sink the ship and if THEY wanna give up the other 4 people have no choice.

And if one person wants to surrender and the other 4 don't, the one who wants to surrender can try to force the others to do so by trolling the game. Congratulations, you've given people one more reason to troll games. "Surrender or I throw" is a meme for a reason.
06/05/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Madmax
06/05/2018 06:01 PMPosted by DoubleEdge

There's no stigma around the surrender button. The community in general dislikes the idea. Those two are not the same thing.

People who want OUT of a game will ensure the loss unless the enemy team is absolute trash. So why do I have to sit and WAIT to lose when it's blatantly obvious our medihv has NO intention of turning back into a man and just flies around the map.
My point AGAIN is that it only takes ONE person to sink the ship and if THEY wanna give up the other 4 people have no choice. It's either lose right away and move on to a fair game, or waste time and lose anyway. There's nothing wrong with knowing you've lost I don't see why people enjoy making other waste their time it's very selfish.

I have won games with an AFKer.
I have actually won many games with someone trying to troll.
There is no such thing as a unwinnable game. That is a loser mentality in a game that is like 50% morale and attitude.
06/05/2018 06:42 PMPosted by Madmax
My point AGAIN is that it only takes ONE person to sink the ship and if THEY wanna give up the other 4 people have no choice.

And if one person wants to surrender and the other 4 don't, the one who wants to surrender can try to force the others to do so by trolling the game. Congratulations, you've given people one more reason to troll games. "Surrender or I throw" is a meme for a reason.
So take out the "surrender" and you still have someone throwing?
06/05/2018 06:44 PMPosted by richieb

I have won games with an AFKer.
I have actually won many games with someone trying to troll.
There is no such thing as a unwinnable game. That is a loser mentality in a game that is like 50% morale and attitude.

If the other team lost a 4 v 5 they were trash of course you won, in those cases would play it out. In an even match you cannot win with a man down.
06/05/2018 06:42 PMPosted by hellobg
Hmm, maybe a forfeit button if one of the teammates are an AI for at least 6 - 8 minutes, but not an instant surrender.
I can get behind that. I'm more interested in a way to end games that have been trolled into losing or someone has dropped. If it's a fair 5 v 5 then that's fine.
I don’t share your experience with people giving up. I see people say they are giving up, sometimes act a little bit like they are trolling, but most of the time they come around. It’s usually because they will see a good opportunity to win a fight or complete an objective, and when they do succeed they feel better and go back to playing seriously.

Yeah, some games are stomps. That is inevitable. But I remember the surrender vote from LOL. It was an incredibly toxic mechanic. If enough people disagreed, they were harassed. Or vice versa for offering to surrender. Plus, desperate games are winnable. I’m sure you have won some of those.

I just see far too many cons for a surrender button, they don’t outweigh the pros of not having it.
The only people who are going to use the surrender button are the people ALREADY trolling games and wasting everyone's time. I want to get away from these people right away so let us do so. I generally play with a full group so this doesn't happen often, but it's been happening far too much lately and I've probably been through more than it's worth. Most trolls will stop because now they can't force people to put up with their crap for sub 20 minutes.
06/05/2018 06:53 PMPosted by LaEspada
I don’t share your experience with people giving up. I see people say they are giving up, sometimes act a little bit like they are trolling, but most of the time they come around. It’s usually because they will see a good opportunity to win a fight or complete an objective, and when they do succeed they feel better and go back to playing seriously.

Yeah, some games are stomps. That is inevitable. But I remember the surrender vote from LOL. It was an incredibly toxic mechanic. If enough people disagreed, they were harassed. Or vice versa for offering to surrender. Plus, desperate games are winnable. I’m sure you have won some of those.

I just see far too many cons for a surrender button, they don’t outweigh the pros of not having it.
Hard games are not my issue. If everyone is giving it a go and we are pushing then that's fine. But once one of us simply won't play it's over. There IS no winning against a team that is on the same skill level as you. If there is a chance for victory then I will fight till the end, when there isn't a chance then it's over why do you want people to waste time?
Why do people ask for a surrender when you can hit escape and accomplish the same thing?
The answer is for everyone to report the player, not add in a button that encourages their non-play.
06/05/2018 06:43 PMPosted by DoubleEdge
06/05/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Madmax

People who want OUT of a game will ensure the loss unless the enemy team is absolute trash. So why do I have to sit and WAIT to lose when it's blatantly obvious our medihv has NO intention of turning back into a man and just flies around the map.

People who want out of a game via dropping it or AFK are at least penalized for their actions, and eventually banned. In addition, they are going to be implementing a forgiveness system for the remaining teammates who have people that drop, and probably AFK as well, so at the very least the team itself is not punished as much as the people actually trying to ruin the experience.