Blizzard is ramping up silence penalties

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 23 Next
06/11/2018 05:49 PMPosted by Direclaw
here is an idea... wait for it... don't be a jerk... its not hard...
You sound like a jerk. You could get suspended if you talk like that all the time.
https://heroesofthestorm.com/en-us/blog/21849058/stepping-up-abusive-chat-penalties-2018-6-11/

In case you missed it. Might want to stop typing in game

Fixed it for you
Abusive chat or spam reports are ignored if they are issued against a player who hasn’t participated in in-game chat or public chat channels.

So there you go. Essentially, saying "hi", "glhf", or "gg" now opens you up to their automated report system.

I cannot believe they think that "mean players" is the issue with HotS. "Mean Players" exist because the match maker is putting silvers with grand masters in TL/UR/QM. Do you have any idea how frustrating that is for both sides? You have a silver there getting dumpstered, and a Master+ player getting annoyed by someone wasting his time.

Fix the match maker and I bet you see the overall happiness of the community go up.

I play every night, and basically have for 3 years. I am serving a 4 month silence. I still play because I love the GAME. However, every night is the same story. Not just once, either... 3-4 times per night I see the same things:

I queue into UR with a friend.
- We are both Master
-- Teammates are silver-Gold
--- Teammates hover niche picks
---- Teammates tell US how to play the map (ie: leaving mid team fight to take a siege giant camp when the enemy team is forcing a terrible fight for themselves).
----- Gold teammates swear at me, tell me I'm garbage for not following their lead, then report me.

Fix your match maker.
06/11/2018 03:15 PMPosted by Raven
06/11/2018 03:07 PMPosted by Langolier
How about this? Show us every single chat message that we've been reported for. Allow us to appeal them individually. Feel free to immediately suspend or ban accounts for appeals that are upheld (i.e. someone appeals "go kys loser").

I tried to appeal my silence once, It was upheld, not even reviewed when I asked what I said that was abusive, I got "This was upheld and will no longer be considered". I bet they don't even review anything. They are too lazy for that because of the minimal effort it takes to look over chat logs to determine the difference between harassment and "you suck dude".

And if "you suck dude" is a bannable offense I quit this game.

In the past when I got my 8 or 16 day silence (I forget which one), I actually filed a complaint with their team because it came RIGHT on the heels of another silence. Like 1 day after I was un-silenced,I was re-silenced.

They actually sent me evidence. They sent me a line where I said "Nova is garbage for our comp" when some guy was 5th hovering Nova when we needed a melee bruiser.

They followed the "evidence" by saying "While we respect players have opinions about heroes in the game, it is considered 'toxic' to tell a player what they can and cannot play".

Since then I have never bothered sending them an appeal... because it's clear if I say "GG" Blizz might take it as a sarcastic GG, then I'm banned.
This is total garbage and ignores the real issues.

1. You can mute someone with the click of a button - We already have the tools we need to handle idiots

2. You get ganged up on when you try to give advice during the game. - Surely we can talk like adults? Snowflakery is breaking the world

3. People raging after 30 seconds and feeding all game is more toxic than being frustrated

4. Match-making and QM queues are total garbage. When you average out skill levels rather than band them, you create unstable and unpredictable teams.

tldr; Chat is fine; use existing tools. Fix real issues.
Soooo... I can't call a 0-10 troll "you're useless" because I get not only silenced, but I risk my account being suspended and banned permanently?

Great! This is the way to go. What is better then to silence/suspend/ban the remains of your playerbase because some people take the game seriously and are angry when they get feeding/afk/trolling teammates who are ruining their rank? Don't know, in addition to the non-decaying silence penalty add the new "we’re going to greatly reduce the number of silence penalties we apply to repeat offenders’ accounts". If they are starting with something like this, they should at least make everyone start with a clean plate. Reset the silence system and penalties.

I think that the only thing that blizz will accomplish with this is that 95% of playerbase will turn their chat off permanently (actually, reason you can't play HL/TL when you are silenced is that you "can't communicate properly with your team") in fear from not being silenced, but from loosing their account. Trolls knowing this will start to report you not for Verbal Abuse, but for AFK/Non-participation, leading to you being suspended.

Yep, someone totally think this system through.
Last night a guy wrote to me:

"I am going to just casually report you"

Because I first picked Kaelthas in a TL lobby and he obviously did not like my pick. I wonder if Blizz or their "machine learning" will do something about such crap...
Major Issue that has been overlooked entirely in that blog post is pingspammers. I currently report pingspammers who deliberately pingspam your hero to antagonize, harras and troll you by using the spam option in the report system. This is mainly silenced players who do this as their written abilities have been struck away from them, so they look for other means to continue their toxic behaviour. Pinging is still available to them, so off they go spamming. However these reports will according to the blogpost be totally ignored as they haven't written anything in chat channels (which they can't). So these new changes basically let toxic silenced players off the hook.

Try again Blizzard.

The simple fix is removing ping privileges for silenced players and/or acknowledge the fact that deliberate pingspam is considered 'spam' (self explanatory really imho).
I wrote this about 2 weeks ago, feel free to take a look,

I think a big big problem is that a lot of people generally confuse a statement like this......

'hey malf you need to drop twilight dream early in the teamfight'

Now this is a simple tip/someone analyzing why their team may of lost the teamfight.

Now this can be taken two ways.......

1. A lot of the times its seen as toxic and the malf that this was directed towards will in fact them selves get toxic b/c they think that person is getting toxic or be like 'UR JUST BLAMENIN ME U NEEDA GET BETTER, BUT UR JUST BLAMMIN ME'

2. or the malf could be like 'oh ur right man mb, or hey I wanted to but couldent here is why, or yea just got knocked/stunned on it' or 'here is what i think went wrong can we try doing X'

Most of the time a simple commet like that is seen as #1 its almost never seen as #2. Iv actually tried this in game and while i dident keep any hard numbers id be willing to say that most times i get a reaction of #1, when my sole intent is only to try and figure out what went wrong that last fight. People most of the time get uber defensive and toxic towards me alot of times then opening the stat screen trying to find some stat they can use against me to shift blame to me.

Ill man up and and say my bad when i screwed up but it seems most of the community is more concerned with shifting blame away from themselves, in short they are not concerned about getting better but more concerned with just not taking the 'blame'.

So sorry, not sorry grow thicker skin people and quit attaching your self worth to a video game, there is a mute button and a report feature, if someone is being truly toxic report mute and move on with your life/ to the next game. There can be a ton of value in discussing team fights that went poorly with your team, and you learn a ton from failures.

While people should not flame, I dont mind people being blunt, after all we are all trying to play hots, so there generally isnt much time to even type and no one is trying to play typing simulator 2018.

One thing I think a lot of people dont understand is that a positive attitude can be just as infectious as a negative attitude.
na sorry blizzard. I will continue to call the 2000 mmr garbage players trash, even if it is technically the fault of your braindead matchmaker putting them into master games somehow.

I will keep saying whatever the !@#$ I want. You want to ban me for calling other players noob or moron? you can go suck a bowl of fu.k.

Spent exactly zero dollars on this game so far as opposed to all other blizz games. Obviously, catering to the gummibear crew and soccer moms seems to provide more revenue so I am not even trying to argue anymore. I will continue to spend zero cents on this and just play different accounts nonstop to avoid silence.
Maybe focus on what CAUSES 'abusive' chat like afk, feed, dc,
not doing objective etc. more.

If you get teamed with above for like 3+ games straight it is hard to
not get somewhat 'abusive' (not an excuse, but it is kinda human behaviour).

Also even mildly 'abusive' chat can get you silenced (and uphold after appeal)
like '[name] can you stop feeding ffs' after [name] dies for like the 4th time in 5 minutes. In this case the 'ffs' (out of frustration) is enough for getting silenced.

And when you get teamed with a 3- or 4-stack then you have to be REAL careful.
If someone on that 3- or 4-stack afk or feed and you complain about it then they go like 'stop QQ', 'stop complain', 'or it's only QM' and report YOU!
(instant 3 or 4 reports). They won't report their afk friend ofcourse...

Like most of us i will stop communicating all togehter in HotS.

Seems it is easier to get away with afk, feed, dc (cause) then
abusive chat (effect).

Croce11 made some excellent points on reddit about this topic.
Smurf boost again instead of fixing their stupid MM that lead to toxicity

GG
06/11/2018 06:40 PMPosted by Raven
I really think we need a Blue post on this. To explain Blizzard's stance on toxicity and the report system.

Running gag

They only comment skin or joke topics
I've never been silenced before and I often tell people to come to obj and to soak and strategy stuff, but I also always start with a GLHF and always say well done team when we win a fight and sure I might call a guy an idiot when he really annoys me with some BS, but so far no matter how heated arguments sometimes got (not very often but it happens) I never have ever been silenced even when people explicitly said they'd report me.

Anyways, this might trigger some ppl it seems like the unpopular opinion but if you got silenced you more than likely deserve that silence.
06/12/2018 03:56 AMPosted by HappyFeet
I wrote this about 2 weeks ago, feel free to take a look,

I think a big big problem is that a lot of people generally confuse a statement like this......

'hey malf you need to drop twilight dream early in the teamfight'

Now this is a simple tip/someone analyzing why their team may of lost the teamfight.

Now this can be taken two ways.......

1. A lot of the times its seen as toxic and the malf that this was directed towards will in fact them selves get toxic b/c they think that person is getting toxic or be like 'UR JUST BLAMENIN ME U NEEDA GET BETTER, BUT UR JUST BLAMMIN ME'

2. or the malf could be like 'oh ur right man mb, or hey I wanted to but couldent here is why, or yea just got knocked/stunned on it' or 'here is what i think went wrong can we try doing X'

Most of the time a simple commet like that is seen as #1 its almost never seen as #2. Iv actually tried this in game and while i dident keep any hard numbers id be willing to say that most times i get a reaction of #1, when my sole intent is only to try and figure out what went wrong that last fight. People most of the time get uber defensive and toxic towards me alot of times then opening the stat screen trying to find some stat they can use against me to shift blame to me.

Ill man up and and say my bad when i screwed up but it seems most of the community is more concerned with shifting blame away from themselves, in short they are not concerned about getting better but more concerned with just not taking the 'blame'.

So sorry, not sorry grow thicker skin people and quit attaching your self worth to a video game, there is a mute button and a report feature, if someone is being truly toxic report mute and move on with your life/ to the next game. There can be a ton of value in discussing team fights that went poorly with your team, and you learn a ton from failures.

While people should not flame, I dont mind people being blunt, after all we are all trying to play hots, so there generally isnt much time to even type and no one is trying to play typing simulator 2018.

One thing I think a lot of people dont understand is that a positive attitude can be just as infectious as a negative attitude.

In the real world, people talk to each other like adults. Sometimes, harsh things may be said. They deal with it, work through the problem, and try to get to a better conclusion.

The thing is, sometimes people say things in a bad way that isn't really helping to accomplish anything. Saying "Jim, you %*#$@ing IDIOT" when Jim is doing something wrong.. isn't productive. It might make Dave feel good to vent, but it's not accomplishing anything. And if Jim just decides to be butthurt about it and pout, it's REALLY not accomplishing anything. Dave needs to communicate with a purpose in correcting the problem, and Jim needs to be able to put on his big-boy pants to separate the criticism from the emotion.

We call this "life skills." And it is sorely lacking in young people, and of course internet where anybody can be an anonymous tuff guy. But the response of videogame companies, scared to death they could get named in a lawsuit, to basically create an ANTI-communication environment? Is not a productive answer.

Reading most of these posts, on message boards across the internet... it's not the words that are the problem. "Mute" 100% takes care of protecting a soft person's delicate sensibilities. It's the other troll behaviors that are in need of disciplinary systems. At least LoL/DotA make efforts to punish THAT sort of garbage. Meanwhile, here in Blizzney, we just want to pretend there are only gumdrops and lollipops with kind words of love... while ignoring the underlying problems with trolls and trollish behavior.

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but names will kill you. Is that the new anthem of Blizzney and others like them?