Yrel Feels Very Weak

General Discussion
So Yrel was free this week so I decided to give her a go. Now warrior is probably my preferred role in this game and drainei paladin was one of my favorite characters I played in wow so I was very excited to try her at first. I jumped into my first match and really just did not have a good experience. The character has several downsides to her kit and her kit already isnt anything to special. An AOE with mediocre damage and a mediocre heal, a short range knockback, a slow moving leap that has an average slow effect and short range, one ult that is really good in her damage absorption, one ult that is utter trash, and a passive which is pretty cool and does work well with her gimic. The problem is just that though her gimic. Why does everything this character does need to be charged? why on top of being charged do they slow her? why on top of slowing her do her abilities have a small wind up before they get cast? why are all of these downsides present for a kit that is basically a worse version of pretty much every other tank in the game? It would be different if charging your abilities gave you some big bonus, but it really doesnt it just makes the ability as good as it should be. You can be CCed out of doing literally anything, but that doesnt even need to happen because you slow yourself for 25% and all your abilities have really short ranges so most characters are simply going to walk away from you without you being able to stop them. I just dont get why so many downsides and limitations were placed on her when she doesnt do anything special. even remove her charging, slowing, and make all of her abilities function like they were fully charged at all times and you end up with a bad muardin. I really think her slow needs to be removed and her fully charged abilities be much more impactful for her to be worth anything.
07/17/2018 08:30 PMPosted by HollowRyder
So Yrel was free this week so I decided to give her a go. Now warrior is probably my preferred role in this game and drainei paladin was one of my favorite characters I played in wow so I was very excited to try her at first. I jumped into my first match and really just did not have a good experience. The character has several downsides to her kit and her kit already isnt anything to special. An AOE with mediocre damage and a mediocre heal, a short range knockback, a slow moving leap that has an average slow effect and short range, one ult that is really good in her damage absorption, one ult that is utter trash, and a passive which is pretty cool and does work well with her gimic. The problem is just that though her gimic. Why does everything this character does need to be charged? why on top of being charged do they slow her? why on top of slowing her do her abilities have a small wind up before they get cast? why are all of these downsides present for a kit that is basically a worse version of pretty much every other tank in the game? It would be different if charging your abilities gave you some big bonus, but it really doesnt it just makes the ability as good as it should be. You can be CCed out of doing literally anything, but that doesnt even need to happen because you slow yourself for 25% and all your abilities have really short ranges so most characters are simply going to walk away from you without you being able to stop them. I just dont get why so many downsides and limitations were placed on her when she doesnt do anything special. even remove her charging, slowing, and make all of her abilities function like they were fully charged at all times and you end up with a bad muardin. I really think her slow needs to be removed and her fully charged abilities be much more impactful for her to be worth anything.
You should search some videos on youtube on playing Yrel. Or watch how the pros choose their talents and play her. She is really good when in the right hands. Most of the time I am matched with a Yrel who jumps into the enemy team 1vs4 or 1vs5 because they can just bubble. If you are doing that, then Yrel will seem weak. But, if you are using your skills to peel or use the level 4 talent, Aegis of Light, to give your whole team 35 armor then Yrel is very strong. Hope this helps.
she's got good power, but she feels clunky.

Overall I don't think anything big needs to be changed, but I WOULD like avenging wrath to start out at max range and charging it up to instead increase its DAMAGE and SLOW instead (so starts out with 0 slow and low damage and only slows to 50% and hits hard at max charge). Would go along way to making her feel better.
O you get outta my house right now and take your sunny d with you!
07/17/2018 08:56 PMPosted by aleksandor
Overall I don't think anything big needs to be changed, but I WOULD like avenging wrath to start out at max range and charging it up to instead increase its DAMAGE and SLOW instead (so starts out with 0 slow and low damage and only slows to 50% and hits hard at max charge). Would go along way to making her feel better.

That would make her way too slippery. She's already quite tanky, so I don't think giving her a no-downside Dwarf Toss every 6 seconds is a good idea. Besides, it's nice having a reliable AoE damage button that you don't have to charge up.
shes op solo laner o .o
she seems to be

probably the best offtank in the game.

She beats almost every other sololaner besides malthael

She gives her entire team 35 armor

She's hard as !@#$ to kill

Post-16 she starts hardcarrying with Holy Wrath

She's been firstpick/firstban at HGC for weeks
The moment when your opinion is that wrong...
Yrel is hard to get use to. Her charging is misleading because it leads you to think there is going to be some massive payoff. Her abilities alone won't ever pay off on charging alone. They have to be used in the correct time, place, order and to the benefit of your team.

If played correctly Yrel is a near magic puzzle peice that can complement almost any team. On the flip side, incorrect use will make her feel like the most useless potato on the hero roster incapable of anything but tilt.
Yrell is weak? you really haven't fought against or seen a good yrell then. Those are an absolute nightmare to deal with. It's to the point im even thinking she's actually OP. And her damage is not to be joked about ether. She feels like a sonya that is very tanky and keeps winging back at you. And if she is ever in danger, she uses ardent defender or simply jump away.

I do agree with others that you needs some experience to correctly play her. once you do, you'll become a disruptive tank that can dive very hard and survive effectively while dishing out some decent damage.
So, you picked a hero you don't know how to play (yet), did badly because you didn't have the skills to play her (yet). Great basis for a good neutral assessment of a Hero.
I've run into some nightmare Yrels who just can't be killed, and I've seen some awful ones who just suicide over and over.

Conclusion: she's high skill. Practice more. Learn how to best use her.
If you pick the instant mounting talent you need to uninstall btw.

She's extremely strong. Nigh unkillable, highly disrupting and very fun to use.

She's getting nerfed bro. Imagine that.
It seems to me that a lot of the time people aren't willing to put the investment in to meet interesting or unique characters half way and find out what niche they're designed to fill and we get threads like this... For example I always thought Anub'Arak was super lame until I took the time to really sit down and learn his niche and give him a chance... Now I love him.
07/18/2018 05:10 AMPosted by Razor
If you pick the instant mounting talent you need to uninstall btw.

I do not agree with this statement. I saw this talent even get picked in hgc. And the ability to instant mount can lead you to chase someone and kill him. It is also a nice escape (if you need a 3rd one lol).

Dont forget you get extra speed at the start of mounting + removing the channel time of mounting. It is a very good gap closer so you dont need to use trait + jump to catch someone
I'll be honest and say that I don't intend on playing her (something about the WoW characters just doesn't draw me in to play them, I know, I'm weird), but that doesn't mean that I haven't seen her wreck house. Just yesterday I was watching her charge back into the fray repeatedly, I was playing Morales and despite the pitiful amount of health she had, I was floored at how much punishment she took despite me struggling to generate what energy I could.

Give it time, I think there will be a moment she 'clicks' for you.
Instant mount gives rotation speed and has some value in fights and in escapes. Samaara's light reduces all her ability channel slows from 25% to 10%, makes her EDW much easier to land and also helps her close gaps *before* she begins to channel. It generally helps her reposition a lot more effectively.

Those two feel like the most all-round value, with the others being a bit niche to say the least. Samaara's light in particular I think is easy to underestimate, but as yrel you're above 50% most of the time, and all the time while engaging and reducing a slow from 25% to 10% is better than increasing your speed from 100 to 115% (specifically it's a 20% increase in speed vs a 15% increase).

I think the W talent doesn't make sense in light of how she actually uses her kit and the E talent is a bit . . aspirational. You can imagine the ideal scenario with them but it's hard to believe that manifests when you need it to.
Yrel is a full tank. Not an off tank like Sonya.
Yet there is not a single lane match-up she does not win.
I hate seeing the attitude of "I have an opinion, anyone with a different opinion should uninstall/jump off a cliff/go away"

How does it open room for discourse, speaking like that? It doesn't, and you're trying to cut off people from reflecting what you're saying back so you'll never be exposed to anything different, which is important.

Divine Steed is really strong, so are a lot of talents on that tier. They're good at different things. And Yrel has been good since her release. She got huge buffs, sure, but it didn't keep her from being a gamewinning solo laner. Nobody on this forum recognized it though because it's basically one big echo chamber
A lot of Yrel builds would be weak, yes. Yrel is super clunky, has only 1 build, 1 way to play, is super strong, and is probably OP. It's just hard to play such a clunky character. People take forever to buy a hero and adjust. They need to speed up her charge time and lower her damage like they said they would.