LOL@ complaints about the match maker

General Discussion
You guys do realize that this is a game developed by Blizzard -- a company ran by bobby kotick and mike morhaime right?

The match maker is not intended to provide increasingly competitive/tight matches .. it's intended to generate more microtransaction revenue.

Things like:

* pairing new players with experienced players so experience players can 'carry' them and make them feel good about their skills/competency in the game which gets them hooked/more likely to buy microtransactions
* so new players can get jealous of experience players skins/gear/items/rank/level/etc. (and go buy those things in the cash shops)

There's even published articles on how activision-blizzard are patenting match making algorithms to exploit people for microtransactions based on the above:

Activision Patents Matchmaking Algorithm to Make Players Spend Money
https://www.geek.com/games/activision-patents-matchmaking-algorithm-to-make-players-spend-money-1719969/

So this is the type of company you suckers choose to support within your hobby ? smh
07/16/2018 03:55 PMPosted by NoamChomsky
pairing new players with experienced players so experience players can 'carry' them and make them feel good about their skills/competency in the game

no, that'll just lose the game and make them both feel bad.

so new players can get jealous of experience players skins/gear/items/rank/level/etc.

everyone buys/gets skins in every league because of chests. being good doesnt get you gear, levels do.

So this is the type of company you suckers choose to support within your hobby ? smh

its free.
You really took an article with no direct correlation to Blizzard and ran with it to back up your own bias opinion lol.
Let me guess...you are one of those naive souls that buy the company line/company PR that activision-blizzard are separate entities ... ?
The matchmaker stated in that article is about gear that would increase power
This game doesnt contain that.

What is more likely the cause for lack of changes to the matchmaker is probably a similar story to the reconnect system.

It's not worth the time.

Thats why there has been a drastic shift to create skins and bundles for gem only purchases. Moving more of blizzards art staff pool into HoTs while shifting some of the system developers out of HoTs and into games such as overwatch and WoW (both of which either have an expansion or have had drastic system additions added recently)
07/16/2018 04:06 PMPosted by DollyLox
You really took an article with no direct correlation to Blizzard and ran with it to back up your own bias opinion lol.

You do realize that Blizzard and Activision are not two separate companies right?

They are now one company, Activision Blizzard.

Hence why titles like Destiny and CoD are now creeping into the Battle.net launcher.
07/16/2018 04:25 PMPosted by Toastytoast

What is more likely the cause for lack of changes to the matchmaker is probably a similar story to the reconnect system.

It's not worth the time.

Thats why there has been a drastic shift to create skins and bundles for gem only purchases. Moving more of blizzards art staff pool into HoTs while shifting some of the system developers out of HoTs and into games such as overwatch and WoW (both of which either have an expansion or have had drastic system additions added recently)

So mounts & skins don't exist in heroes of the storm? And matching new players with experienced players who have lots of shiny skins/vanity items isn't the same?

um...ok
You describe the EA level of greed and I hope you're not right, but your concerns, unfortunately, are justified
07/16/2018 04:44 PMPosted by NoamChomsky

It's not worth the time.

So mounts & skins don't exist in heroes of the storm? And matching new players with experienced players who have lots of shiny skins/vanity items isn't the same?

um...ok

None of which have impact on the gameplay so there is very little influencing to be done through that avenue.

Again the rest of my previous post is much more of a valid and probable reason for lack of changes.
You guys do realize that this is a game developed by Blizzard -- a company ran by bobby kotick and mike morhaime right?

The match maker is not intended to provide increasingly competitive/tight matches .. it's intended to generate more microtransaction revenue.

Things like:

* pairing new players with experienced players so experience players can 'carry' them and make them feel good about their skills/competency in the game which gets them hooked/more likely to buy microtransactions
* so new players can get jealous of experience players skins/gear/items/rank/level/etc. (and go buy those things in the cash shops)

There's even published articles on how activision-blizzard are patenting match making algorithms to exploit people for microtransactions based on the above:

Activision Patents Matchmaking Algorithm to Make Players Spend Money
https://www.geek.com/games/activision-patents-matchmaking-algorithm-to-make-players-spend-money-1719969/

hmmm... I haven't spent a dollar on this game in a long time, though, specifically because I hate it's matchmaking. does that make me special?

everytime I, a good player, am matched with noobs, it just enrages me. I don't feel like carrying them. I don't feel like giving a bad game money. I just wish they would actually fix matchmaking and prove both of us wrong.

if they did so, I would be willing to buy stuff on this game again. otherwise, I will continue to play the same heroes I've had for a while or the heroes that I purchase with gold. so be it.
With hots, its either severe incompetence, like the worst ive ever seen, worse than heroes of newerth at the start where you could actually get stuck forever in mmr hell, with 0 chance of coming back if you dropped under a certain mmr.

Or its all an elaborate design meant to make more money off of players, but if it is, its completely broken, and threatens to kill the game.

Bottom line is, if matches are crap, if im not having fun, if i literally can't play because my team is a random assortment of dumbos, i will at best never give blizzard 1 $, and at worst stop playing. It's simple.

What they should do, and i do hope they listen to this, but ofc they won't cause who cares about these posts. They should stop this, make the matches good, until they have a high population like say dota or lol, because the game itself is capable of growth, then when the baseline for a dumbo has lowered because in general people got better at the game, they can slowly implement their matchmaking system that makes them more money, it could be near seamless.

Im sure league does stuff like this, come on, do you think league has nothing smart to say in the world of monetization ? They basically invented f2p (yes im exaggerating ) , but they also know how to hide their crap, how to give you fun games, and also make money, because they have talent in game design, they didn't make a game where 4v5 is impossible even if you match masters vs platinum , blizzard is in over its head and they are stubborn and won't listen, they deserve the slow death that's coming to this game.
Blizzard needs to get off their high horse and actually listen to community feedback. Ignoring player concerns will not gain them anything g and only harm the player base
The saddest, most pathetic, and most destructive thing is that so many people are so naïve that they actually spend real money on games like this. And they wonder why video gaming isn't getting any better. They actually think Bzzzzd is trying to make the matchfailing better. They think Bzzzzd cares about the players. They spend insane amounts of time trying to create fixes and new builds for characters.

They tell the Bzzzd employess who post on the forums "HEY THANKS" like Bzzzd is doing them some kind of favor by offering them substandard products deceptively designed to take their money by any means necessary, especially under the guise of "free". They have all the firsthand accounts of conspicuous patterns in the game and proclaim it must be something other than intentional.

Please, make sure you keep blowing hundreds and thousands of your wasted work hours/dollars on a product designed to fool you. Help keep gaming in the slump it's been in for over a decade. Completely disregard all the readily available resources you have online which can explain a company's history and practices. I will keep laughing at you.
07/16/2018 05:09 PMPosted by Darathu
With hots, its either severe incompetence, like the worst ive ever seen, worse than heroes of newerth at the start where you could actually get stuck forever in mmr hell, with 0 chance of coming back if you dropped under a certain mmr.

Or its all an elaborate design meant to make more money off of players, but if it is, its completely broken, and threatens to kill the game.

Bottom line is, if matches are crap, if im not having fun, if i literally can't play because my team is a random assortment of dumbos, i will at best never give blizzard 1 $, and at worst stop playing. It's simple.

What they should do, and i do hope they listen to this, but ofc they won't cause who cares about these posts. They should stop this, make the matches good, until they have a high population like say dota or lol, because the game itself is capable of growth, then when the baseline for a dumbo has lowered because in general people got better at the game, they can slowly implement their matchmaking system that makes them more money, it could be near seamless.

Im sure league does stuff like this, come on, do you think league has nothing smart to say in the world of monetization ? They basically invented f2p (yes im exaggerating ) , but they also know how to hide their crap, how to give you fun games, and also make money, because they have talent in game design, they didn't make a game where 4v5 is impossible even if you match masters vs platinum , blizzard is in over its head and they are stubborn and won't listen, they deserve the slow death that's coming to this game.

No such thing as MMR hell, people will always find excuses to justify their failures. Get better and you'll rank up in any game under any circumstances...
You have to accept that to some degree the Algorithm is going to be based on this; the question is "how much"? I would say it's not as severe as other companies are, but I would say that it does exist enough to cause some strife within the playerbase. There are obvious inconsistencies.

That said I think the algorithm caters towards people who play in teams more than it does on sales. This is because I think team-play is still the goal of the game and therefore why so many play it.
It's not worth the time.

Basically this. The reason why were yet another season without any valid matchmaking updates is because blizzard just doesnt see it worth paying a competent development team to fix it. So they let whoevers running it currently put a bandaid on it all they while they push esports and maps and skins at you to try and make you forget about how little theyre doing to improve the gameplay.
if the game had items you could only buy with real money id believe you more but since its 100% free i cant take this post seriously
07/16/2018 08:39 PMPosted by GuttedSwine
if the game had items you could only buy with real money id believe you more but since its 100% free i cant take this post seriously

yes a game with 80+ heroes and the large majority of them locked behind a gold/gem wall (ingame currency that you purchase with real money) is very clearly 100% free ..
I've stopped playing it recently. From once a week to do my quest, to once a month, ye just no.

Give this man a medal for discovering hot water.

In the eventuality you missed it this game has 6 game modes and in all of those the MM is hot garbage (from a gamer point of view). This makes the game population 99% casuals and 1% gamers. Now ask yourself what would happen if the game had 1 really competitive mode(like TL or HL). The casuals population would at least stay the same, but the gamers population would increase with better customer reviews and more streamers, which means more visibility, aka moar players!.

Having trash MM in all game modes is counterproductive from an economic point of view.

They have taken a step in the right direction with the 3rd ban since they are usually very slow in fixing broken heroes(>1 year usually XD), so now players can fix that aspect of the game themselves.