General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
07/27/2018 11:45 AMPosted by DigitaLegacy
PTR i assume is monday?

Probably.
Her thighs remind me of chunli
07/27/2018 11:52 AMPosted by Shaden
Her thighs remind me of chunli

The model they used in the reveal (with pants) looks better than the model they ended up with.

Looks alright for play. No escape, though. Gonna be tough to be effective in dealing damage to heal.
07/27/2018 12:04 PMPosted by sancho
The model they used in the reveal (with pants) looks better than the model they ended up with.

She didn't have pants in the reveal either... Those were just thigh high boots.
07/27/2018 11:33 AMPosted by drkbef
07/27/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Player
lol, she is not a WoW priest at all
Well, weirdly enough, Inquisition with zeal up is very similar to Mind Flay. Shadow Priest Whitemane skin incoming?

This is what I thought immediately upon seeing her kit.

She just has mindflay, mindblast, and her trait is just vampiric embrace. Take away her heal and just give her psychic scream, silence, or even power word: Shield and you have a great shadow priest character.

What strikes me most about her is how utterly boring her heroics are. Heal circle and damage circle. What could possibly lack more creativity than good circle and bad circle when dealing with a character who has mass sleep and mass resurrection abilities? Yeah I get Cain already has a mass sleep, Ariel has a resurrect, but big dumb glow-circle, which they just did with Yrel, but c'mon now.

She seems fun to play though... but as Tyrande will attest, healing through damage when you have no mobility can be very difficult. I think her entire reception will be based not on her kit, but her talents. Mana costs be damned, if she can heal her entire team while dealing damage for 5+ seconds in a team fight it will make her pretty amazing.

I'm really hoping her master skin or some sort of alternative is the "wears pants" version from the art. I get that her iconic look she shows off her thighs, but I'd like the option to go for a character with pants.
07/27/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Flinx

I just checked, and you are right. Well...she should put on pants. She's a high inquisitor, for crying out loud. You don't do that job in a swimsuit! But I guess we live in a universe where Valeera can wear the loudest peacock suit in the village as a sneaky assassin.
07/27/2018 11:15 AMPosted by MortalWombat
I dont think no mass rezz needs any explanation, lol

This. Resurrecting dead allies was off the table pretty much immediately, because the gameplay is fraught with challenges in a MOBA context, and we're still trying to make Auriel's Resurrect competitive to this day. Just for fun we did try a variation on mass rez just to see what would happen, but as expected it made her want to stay out of fights to be an OOC rez bot. Lots of Molten Core nostalgia, but not very engaging to play.

We did play with alternative variations where she could "resurrect" (summon) a Scarlet Crusader "pet", but it pretty much felt like a rehash of Gargantuan and felt very out of place in her kit.

Our alternative approach to hitting that fantasy came with Scarlet Aegis - it's still a mass inspire for your allies and great for turning a fight around. It just doesn't have the extra complication of requiring them to die first.

07/27/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Azula
She feels very scarlet crusade.

Awesome! This is what we were going for. We felt like she had enough going on with her character that we didn't have to make her a strict WoW priest. She has clear WoW priest inspiration (especially from Discipline spec), but with her own unique take on it. This allows her to feel more special and leaves lots of creative space open for other priest characters in the future =)
07/27/2018 11:15 AMPosted by MortalWombat
I dont think no mass rezz needs any explanation, lol

This. Resurrecting dead allies was off the table pretty much immediately, because the gameplay is fraught with challenges in a MOBA context, and we're still trying to make Auriel's Resurrect competitive to this day. Just for fun we did try a variation on mass rez just to see what would happen, but as expected it made her want to stay out of fights to be an OOC rez bot. Lots of Molten Core nostalgia, but not very engaging to play.

We did play with alternative variations where she could "resurrect" (summon) a Scarlet Crusader "pet", but it pretty much felt like a rehash of Gargantuan and felt very out of place in her kit.

Our alternative approach to hitting that fantasy came with Scarlet Aegis - it's still a mass inspire for your allies and great for turning a fight around. It just doesn't have the extra complication of requiring them to die first.

I like and want more of this. Blizzard discussion on why and how they came to a character/map/talent/kit design. I get that there's time sensitivity and you're all very busy, but some blurbs and discussion on how you came to design aspects of the game and what iterations you may have gone through in arriving at that is really fun to read/participate in.

Thanks for a great game, looking forward to more heroes and balancing!
07/27/2018 11:26 AMPosted by LTheMaster
She seems a Malfurion 2.0, she seems also like boring from the spotlight... i mean we have to see in game, maybe she is fun to play...

She does have a lot of superficial similarity to Malfurion, but plays very very differently in practice. A much larger portion of her healing (>50%) comes from her offensive abilities and happens in a much more focused and bursty way.

Whereas Malf's goal is to keep Q rolling on as many allies as possible, Whitemane has a much shorter duration on Zeal and lot more control of the throttle in terms of healing one ally very efficiently versus her entire team at a very high cost, or anywhere in between. There's constant moment-to-moment decision making about whether it's worth it to cast another Q to save an ally at high cost, or wait one more second for the cost to reset.
[quote="207655177392"] This allows her to feel more special and leaves lots of creative space open for other priest characters in the future =)

I'm glad that there might be more priests in the future. I was quite distraught when she lacked power word shield.

What strikes me most about her is how utterly boring her heroics are. Heal circle and damage circle.

This is a totally fair first-glance takeaway, but the trait interaction is where these get interesting =)

Desperate Plea, Clemency, and Scarlet Aegis all apply Zeal. This means that Scarlet Aegis can put Zeal on your *entire team* at no mana cost, and the armor buys you time to make use of that to heal everyone up. It's an amazing anti-dive tool as long as you can land your damage abilities to follow up.

Divine Reckoning meanwhile has the same direct interaction with Zeal as Whitemane's other damage skills, so the key is to line up effective Zeal management with it at just the right moment. Hitting the whole enemy team while Zeal is on 3+ targets can turn a fight around in the blink of an eye. It's not easy to do but very rewarding if you can pull it off.
MattVi, I want to ask if she will have ability to deal proper damage above that supports usual deal.

I advocated for a long time that we do need different philosophy than supports being just heal bots. I think that healers and supports should be different and that double support meta is fine as it is well balanced. Thus, I viewed this spotlight with interest, especially when it said that she will heal with her own damage. I also liked if little boring ultimate choices. Mass buffs + utility and damage + CC? Yes, please! So, this is what I wonder now. Does she does more damage? Can she potentially be drafted in a composition which already has a healer as a support hero?

I am actually disappointed with this decision. I was stoked for a priest class with familiar wow abilities and this is a let down.

Hope others enjoy it but its not enough to bring me back to the nexus atm like a real priest would of.

This was my personal wish for her because pet users are my favorite character type. That said, I'm very excited to try out her kit. My second favorite type of character is lifestealers who stay alive by fighting more, so applying that idea to healing my allies sounds really interesting.
I absolutely love that hysterical laugh you gave her.

I admit I could never get into the aggressive support style of Malfurion, and Whitemane seems to be very similiar in that regard, but I will try her regardless.
07/27/2018 12:09 PMPosted by sancho
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I just checked, and you are right. Well...she should put on pants. She's a high inquisitor, for crying out loud. You don't do that job in a swimsuit! But I guess we live in a universe where Valeera can wear the loudest peacock suit in the village as a sneaky assassin.

:D funny but sadly true.
07/27/2018 11:33 AMPosted by drkbef
Well, weirdly enough, Inquisition with zeal up is very similar to Mind Flay. Shadow Priest Whitemane skin incoming?

In all honesty thats what I thought. Shes built to be like playing an old style vanilla/bc hybrid shadow pvp build where people would build just enough shadow talents to get mind flay (but not deep enough to get shadow form) and then build the rest into disc to be a mana hungry harassing healer.

Problem is for me I never played that hybrid build and I wont get any nostalgia from playing her. You would think if they are going to put in a priest they would satisfy that nostalgia for a broader range of priest players like they did with varian for warriors and valeera for rogues.

Nothing about her now has me curious or excited enough to drop a dime on her. Maybe others will and thats cool, but to me it was a build up to a let down.
I had a hunch she would be a fairly aggressive support, from what I remember she was never the type to sit back and just heal. It would just not fit her character at all not wanting to rain justice down on her enemies while ensuring her allies stay alive.

I am actually looking forward to playing the support role now being that is geared to hurting to heal.
Divine Reckoning meanwhile has the same direct interaction with Zeal as Whitemane's other damage skills, so the key is to line up effective Zeal management with it at just the right moment. Hitting the whole enemy team while Zeal is on 3+ targets can turn a fight around in the blink of an eye. It's not easy to do but very rewarding if you can pull it off.
Yeah, at first I thought this ult is complete garbage till I noticed its combo potential with trait.
Great idea, I like these little "not so obligatory but still important" combos she offers. For the same reason Inquisition is much better than it seems.
[quote]
Desperate Plea, Clemency, and Scarlet Aegis all apply Zeal. This means that Scarlet Aegis can put Zeal on your *entire team* at no mana cost, and the armor buys you time to make use of that to heal everyone up. It's an amazing anti-dive tool as long as you can land your damage abilities to follow up.

Don't get me wrong, the ability seems quite potent, but we just got Yrel, who has a 40 armor circle, as the last release.

While the damage circle combos great with her trait, it is just kind of phoenix/starfall. Yes, the trait interaction makes it's use interesting, but even so the ability itself is still about as basic as it gets.