Why Whitemane over Andiun?

General Discussion
Honestly, it feels like a massive wasted opportunity.

Both characters are priests, but Andiun not only has family,friends, and enemies in the game (Varien, Jaina, Possibly Chen and Lili, Possibly Uther, Garrosh, etc), but he's much more well known because of his plot significance and appearance in other games.

To those who play WoW casually, Whitemane is a level 40 boss that has very little plot significance to the point where she's just a walking EXP and loot giver. To those who dig into the lore deeply, she's still an extremely minor character. This is pretty much on par with making a Training dummy from Overwatch an ingame Hero.
Because Whitemane is truly the hero no one ever asked for...

... and yet somehow, almost everyone loves it.

They couldn't have picked a better one and I don't even know why. I freaking love it.
The only thing I can think of is that they didn't feel that the Priest kit they came up with fit Anduin's lore.

(This has happened in the past. They were designing Thrall, and then decided that the abilities they had didn't really fit his lore, so they changed it to a different Shaman... Rehgar.)

Oh, and I love that they are including her. Her boss fight in WoW was awesome back in the day.
Until we see her in-game model tomorrow, I'll just assume that it's true to her Warcraft model. If so, the answer is because she's not wearing pants and that's important for the ladies of the Nexus.
07/26/2018 08:15 PMPosted by McVade
Because Whitemane is truly the hero no one ever asked for...

... and yet somehow, almost everyone loves it.

They couldn't have picked a better one and I don't even know why. I freaking love it.
I'm actually in this boat. I couldn't have cared whether she was introduced or not, but now that she's been announced I'm quite pleased with the announcement, with hype to follow if I dig her kit.

07/26/2018 08:17 PMPosted by Flinx
The only thing I can think of is that they didn't feel that the Priest kit they came up with fit Anduin's lore.
This probably makes the most sense of any real "argument" I've read on these forums.
07/26/2018 08:23 PMPosted by euphori0n
Until we see her in-game model tomorrow, I'll just assume that it's true to her Warcraft model. If so, the answer is because she's not wearing pants and that's important for the ladies of the Nexus.

This is probably the key reason to my purchase tbh.
Anduin could have been a pure priest character, but BfA made him more of a half-paladin, and I feel he needs to reflect that. Think blizz was thinking along the same lines so he's not here yet.
07/26/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Akumati

Both characters are priests, but Andiun not only has family,friends, and enemies in the game (Varien, Jaina, Possibly Chen and Lili, Possibly Uther, Garrosh, etc), but he's much more well known because of his plot significance and appearance in other games.

To those who play WoW casually, Whitemane is a level 40 boss that has very little plot significance to the point where she's just a walking EXP and loot giver. To those who dig into the lore deeply, she's still an extremely minor character. This is pretty much on par with making a Training dummy from Overwatch an ingame Hero.

She single handedly made us wipe over and over again. Anduin didn’t.

You wouldn’t know about that struggle though.

Which is what makes me appreciate this announcement more and more every time.
I'm a wow noob, but idk why people want them to rush Anduin. He's supposed to be a very important character, and the kits heroes get in HotS, outside talents, are pretty much definitive I thought (shoutouts to scatter arrow hanzo).

WoW is about to get an expansion, and you want them to release Anduin when his playstyle or even physical appearance (idk how wild lore twists are in wow) could potentially change? What are you guys, dumb?
I'm actually really hyped for Whitemane. I barely remember defeating her in the Scarlet dungeons but she was a pretty cool boss (and IIRC she mastered resurrection?) so yeah I'm excited :D
07/26/2018 08:40 PMPosted by BlackBeard

She single handedly made us wipe over and over again. Anduin didn’t.

You wouldn’t know about that struggle though.

Which is what makes me appreciate this announcement more and more every time.

Dude, that is silly. There are so many bosses in so many instances in WoW that wipe d us sooooo many times. Like Gammon. Hey, This could be a good thing, since I was hoping for him for a long time now. Back to my point, the point of the nexus was to bring on the greatest heroes to one place. And she is no GREAT hero. She is at best a hero with a great S.
07/26/2018 10:02 PMPosted by IamNotAnumbr
Back to my point, the point of the nexus was to bring on the greatest heroes to one place. And she is no GREAT hero

The nexus is a celebration of all things Blizzard: its not that some stuff isn't 'great' in comparison to other stuff, but that the things blizzard made were great.

Sally might not stand out so much on her own in terms of fancy cinematics by todays standards, but she is 'iconic' as the very basis of what 'iconic' is supposed to be: she's a memorable symbol for something, to which, I think, like 'epic', "iconic" is just a word people toss around now for something they like, but not necessarily have the depth to carry on why.

While sally isn't some deep lore monster, she pretty much is the face of the Scarlet Crusade faction — though its leadership ended up having 2 dreadlords in the ranks, to some degree a little banter of "arise my champion" and "at your side my lady" might be the most memorably cue of that faction. Similarly, with the re-visit to scarlet monastery with mysts of pandera, sally in effect becomes a 'faction leader' in that she tries to retain the last bastion of the scarlet crusade — to which, sure, they're not a major faction, but the crusade were an ever present story in a number of expansions throughout the history of WoW and stand and as odd remainder of what happened to the remains of lorderon (and some of the warcraft 2 vets) in the continual aftermath of the consequences of the events of the third war.

For the OP, sally might not just be to "replace" any other priest, she might be here as a representative of the light used by the scarlet crusade, who also happens to be its most memorable member and her kit may reflect stuff other characters with a similar class label would't represent in the same way — though that may be overlooking things.

a lot of topics and posters like to assume characters have to be added to be quotas of demand for 'representation' and otherwise come at the cost of other characters, and in many cases, that simply doesn't need to be the case. Sally may be here for more unique aspects than ones peopel want to toss on for other name-fills that have little bearing with the character at hand.

If sally is here to be a fanatical zealot in the name of the light, then that's something anduin or velen aren't going to be able to do.
Depends on which incarnation of Anduin they are working on.

Right now (BfA) his character is going through a big evolution and his fighting style is becoming pretty unique: A priest in heavy armor wielding a sword/the Light but not like Paladins do.

You can play the nintendo menue avatar in Mario Kart.

07/26/2018 10:02 PMPosted by IamNotAnumbr
Back to my point, the point of the nexus was to bring on the greatest heroes to one place.

OR the greatest characters.
Maybe Whitemane isnt well known because she is just a level 40 boss in WoW while Anduin has more appereances. But maybe - despite having less appearences - her basic design might still be way more unique and appealing.

IMHO Anduin looks totally boring. Like a super normal priest from any RPG in the last 20 years while Whitemane looks totally badass. She looks like she would have a way deeper character, looks pretty unique and dark.
In the end the kit matters. I don't like Lucio as a hero, but I like his kit.

Still I don't know why Anduin hasn't been released yet.
What I love about this is how they release a very iconic character from when the original world of warcraft was at its peak. The game was hard and clearing content required dedication and in - game knowledge. All of these generation z kiddo's complaining about 'literally who' were in their diapers just like Anduin was for the majority of this game. From the perspective of others, Anduin is the 'literal who'. I only remember having to babysit him through the entirety of Pandaria, tying his shoelaces and learning him how to not get himself killed by stubbing his toe against rocks trees and critters. Meanwhile Whitemane is off being a crazy fanatic, wiping instance group after instance group and slaugthering thousands in the name of the Scarlet Crusade.

As far as iconic goes, wanting to represent a popular priest class is going to have to require an iconic priest design. Her design is extremely unique and well recognizable. Anduin is clad in plate armour and wields Varian's blade. How is that iconic for a priest? They will probably release him after the BfA release as well, and probably with more truthfulness as how he is now.

I really don't understand the complaints.
I for one am surprised that so many people are crying for Anduin. Wasn't he supposed to be the feared Justin Bieber hero? A joke character? Or has the general consensus changed so much in the past 2 years? Have Blizzard really succeeded in making Warcraft fans love Anduin?

I'm also surprised Sally comes before Velen, but in retrospective, it all adds up. Yrel is literally the only female Draenei character in the lore, so she had to be released - and having two Draenei side by side would be more weird than two female heroes (by the way, it's the first time they've released two females in a row?).

I'd even say, I can't imagine their releasing Anduin at all. How will they make him stand out? He's a young human male with a stick (?). Even worse "recognizability" than with Imperius.

Anyway, Velen > Sally > Archbishop Benedictus > Alonsus Faol >>>> Anduin
07/26/2018 08:23 PMPosted by euphori0n

I mean you say that like it's a terrible thing, but I want to enjoy looking at a character i'll be spending hours seeing onscreen. Why are people so against character models that are sexy or show any amount of skin? Are you all asexual eunuchs?
It's not like this is the first time they pick "lesser" or "lesser known" characters, the WC3 blademaster kit was synonymous with Grom Hellscream but in HOTS we have Samuro.

Thanks to her stunted WOD arch Yrel is a much less developed character than Velen who would also be a good candidate for priest but they opted for her instead. The devs clearly like an underdog.

Personally i am interested in seeing her kit they could take it in a number of ways we may eventually end up with many priests (already have tyrande) with a diverse range of styles, themes and builds.
07/26/2018 08:36 PMPosted by DarthWalrus
Anduin could have been a pure priest character, but BfA made him more of a half-paladin, and I feel he needs to reflect that. Think blizz was thinking along the same lines so he's not here yet.

So does Sally need to reflect the fact she's a death knight now?