Why is Raynor a hero?

General Discussion
I'm not asking why the character is playable in Heroes of the Storm. I want to know if there are players in this forum that think that James Raynor is a hero... or a villain, or anything at all, other than a good (not cool) character to play in the game.

I play it, because it is good and easy. Not because he is cool or anything.

[Edited for language - Moderator]
What is the intention of you pressing the Dislike button, IN TWO POSTS.

Like your leader, you are so !@#$ing stupid.
Lets see he led a rebellion against a merciless dictator that sold out his own people for power.

Sooooooo Hero.

Play starcraft 2 clearly you missed the story....
"I moved Heaven and Earth to bring you back, Sarah! I can't watch you throw that away just for revenge!* I never gave up on you! Sarah!* Don't you give up on us!"
Raynor is* one hell of space cowboy hero in Starcraft. Displays true grit multiple times in lore.
OP, do you have an inferiority complex... over a fictional character?
Why is the Earth round?
But then again, the only reason Mengsk was in power was because of Raynor joined his rebellion and gave him the much-needed manpower.

The only reason the cerebrate was so strong was because Raynor stopped the Protoss fleet from glassing every planet with a zerg presence.

Obviously he turned around and corrected all of his mistakes (that's the sign of a hero), but he didn't have a stellar start in the hero business.

He was heroic, but flawed. He made selfish decisions then grew into a hero for all the races.

He sat watching in hopeless terror as his gf was betrayed by Mengsk. Then a few chapters later, he willingly stayed on an equally over-run planet to allow aliens to escape through the only functional portal.

Then SC2 came along and the writing went in WoW's direction - put a white hat on the goodies, a black hat on the one big baddy that everybody has to fight together.
Raynor was one of the most influential characters in starcraft in it's totality.

If not THE most influential.

Starcraft one he knew and fought with fenix on aure when the zerg were overrunning it, fought with artanis and helped him, accidentally helped Mengsk become the bastard ruler he is now, accidentally allowed Kerrigan to become zerg, that's just in the first part.

Starcraft two he turns kerrigan back into human which helps her remove amons influence, becomes a major motivational point for kerrigan to become the queen of blades again, saves a lot of people, helps in the final fight against amon, helps artanis fight mobius core.

Like, tons of stuff.
08/29/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Ephraim
Why is the Earth round?

Gravity, any object large enough to generate a gravitational pull will slowly pull the entire object onto a spherical shape. Any object that is in a zero G environment with no way to hold it's form will form a spherical shape.
Raynor is a man on an personal quest to get back what he had, he lost and will never get back.

He is running after a ghost from the past.
Haven't gotten around to completing Starcraft 2 all the way yet, but just going by the first game, he constantly did everything he could to help his people, even betraying and overthrowing a government, and then betraying the NEW government when they revealed themselves to be just as bad.

Oh, and he was the one Terran who managed to not only negotiate with the Protoss, but befriend them. He became good friends with Tassadar, Zeratul, and Fenix, and was pivotal in the battle against the Overmind. Without him, Tassadar would've never been rescued from Aldaris, the Terrans would've stayed out of the Great War, and it would've all likely ended in a Zerg victory.

Raynor is the Captain America of the story. He isn't as impressive power-wise as the heroes he fights beside or the enemies he fights against, but he is an icon to them both, a symbol they respect or fear respectively. Raynor = Chuck Norris.
08/29/2018 06:13 PMPosted by Gonchin
But then again, the only reason Mengsk was in power was because of Raynor joined his rebellion and gave him the much-needed manpower.

The sons of Korhal had all the manpower they needed, though Raynor did provide them with a decent bit of leadership (also the player, aka Matt Horner came with him, even more tactical leadership) for a few missions though. The only manpower Jimmy brought with him was the scant amount provided to a marshal on a backwater nowhere planet. You might be able to consider the evacuated colonists "manpower" but it wasn't military mampower.

The only reason the cerebrate was so strong was because Raynor stopped the Protoss fleet from glassing every planet with a zerg presence.

Naw tassadar decided not to glass planets on his very own, something about casual mass murder didn't sit well with him. Raynor doesn't fight the protos at all in the terren campaign (Kerrigan does to protect the zerg, and then she gets overrun and "killed in action")

Obviously he turned around and corrected all of his mistakes (that's the sign of a hero), but he didn't have a stellar start in the hero business.

He was heroic, but flawed. He made selfish decisions then grew into a hero for all the races.

He sat watching in hopeless terror as his gf was betrayed by Mengsk. Then a few chapters later, he willingly stayed on an equally over-run planet to allow aliens to escape through the only functional portal.

Then SC2 came along and the writing went in WoW's direction - put a white hat on the goodies, a black hat on the one big baddy that everybody has to fight together.
SC1 - Raynor is a badass hero.
SC:BW - Raynor is a naive hero.
SC:WoL - Raynor is a hero with the emotional intelligence of a teenage girl.
SC:HotS - Raynor appears to be the protagonist of a romantic soap opera.
SC:LotV - Who?
08/29/2018 08:07 PMPosted by Sinclairlim
SC1 - Raynor is a badass hero.
SC:BW - Raynor is a naive hero.
SC:WoL - Raynor is a hero with the emotional intelligence of a teenage girl.
SC:HotS - Raynor appears to be the protagonist of a romantic soap opera.
SC:LotV - Who?

Well If I do have defend his actions in WoL, he was drunk.
I've heard that time to time the VA actually took a few shots before recording so it would sound more realistic.
08/29/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Ephraim
Why is the Earth round?
Wrong. The Earth is, in fact, flat. I know this because I found the edge of the earth.
He promised to kill Kerrigan in sc1 after she murdered Fenix,as a response he kissed her in the mouth

Go home raynor you are drunk