Is the game on D3 skeleton crew mode now?

General Discussion
2.0 bundles not being permanent was kind of a bad omen.
honestly i don't listen to these type of posts anymore. The same thing has been spouted in every moba's forum for years. Regardless of what people say the game is still gonna live on because it's making money. if it wasn't then the game would stop getting new heroes and maps.
08/30/2018 02:53 AMPosted by Gonchin
QM is the main game mode in HotS. Intended or not, that is the truth. The number of games played in QM more than doubles those of HL, quintuples the number of Unranked and beats team league by a whole order of magnitude, check any random week of Hotslogs data. If you combine all draft modes together, they are still only 80% of the QM games played.

With this in mind - are the devs making a good decision to balance heroes around draft modes? You be the judge.

Their hero philosophy went from "you can build your hero to suit any occasion", to "you can tweak your hero slightly, but they will always do x, y and z." That's a stupid move if your most popular game mode requires flexibility in your heroes.

A little bit down the line, they released heroes that can walk all over heroes that do x, y and z (you need w to even stand a chance.) QM being the main game mode, you basically ruined 75% of your hero roster.

You now have a choice of 10-15 heroes, if you don't want to be fodder. Will you pay money for a hero that may end up in the same boat? Nah, just go and play a new game.

After all of that, you still have people talking about 'seasons' and whatever other rubbish. The devs didn't understand their product, and what made it unique. They panicked and tried to turn it into a clone of what worked before (LoL and Dota).

One idea - All heroes should have been turned into multi-class. Let you build teams out of random heroes. Give the matchmaker 70 potential healers, 70 potential tanks/bruisers, 83 damage dealers. QM comp problems will be heavily reduced, because you can always have a healer and a tank (up to player interactions to decide who does what.)

Great insight. I personally wish, like you suggested, that all heroes had more talents to be flexible. Now that flexibility has been phased out... Shame.
08/30/2018 10:32 PMPosted by Bloodrush
honestly i don't listen to these type of posts anymore. The same thing has been spouted in every moba's forum for years. Regardless of what people say the game is still gonna live on because it's making money. if it wasn't then the game would stop getting new heroes and maps.

Well yes, and no. Blizzard never shuts down a property once it's released. Probably partly because they can minimize costs and put the game on life support mode to still get money out of it. And it keeps players in their launcher. But all in all, effectively the game is heading towards stagnant and low pop.
08/30/2018 02:20 AMPosted by Arangunnar
Games stand and fall with their matchmaker. This game has glaring matchmaking issues in both their standard and rank modes. People quit because of that. Clownfiestas and Rainbow matches make veterans quit the game, smurfs stomping new players make sure that new players drop this game before they give it a second thought.

Yeah. Nonprofessionals who can't just fix the most common issue with the game. At least the art-department knows what they do.

It's really embarrassing. Even in AI-games (if you care to do the dailies, like me) you face triple support vs triple assassin comps.
i guess it is on maintenance mode, since bliz is ramping up the team for the D4 development. Hype!!
08/30/2018 05:05 AMPosted by Ninestyle
08/30/2018 02:53 AMPosted by Gonchin
QM is the main game mode in HotS. Intended or not, that is the truth. The number of games played in QM more than doubles those of HL, quintuples the number of Unranked and beats team league by a whole order of magnitude, check any random week of Hotslogs data. If you combine all draft modes together, they are still only 80% of the QM games played.

Remember draft mode and hero league and bans never even existed originally. The game was never originally designed around it.

Now we've spent the last 2+ years trying to fit a circle into a square hole. The game is stuck now stuck in "somewhere between original HOTS and LoL".[/quote]

And that is exactly why I posted so many posts when the previous Lead Game designer left the HotS team. I called it right there as a bad move. I was downvoted so hard.... :) but hey you all went crazy for the new shiny stupid stuff...